What's new

D-Day Remembrance

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Posted this on my facebook page this morning and thought I'd share here...I'll always owe my grandfather a debt of gratitude:

"Seventy-three years ago today, a young, courageous George J. Brown waded onto the shores of Normandy. My grandfather's dog tags are my most prized physical possession. I get the chills every time I hold them, knowing they were around his neck on that damp, cloudy morning. He was a world-class cyclist whose Olympic dreams were put on hold; now he was about to fight the worst evil the world had ever known. I can't comprehend what he was feeling when the door to his landing craft swung open. I won't even try. He battled his way onto the beach, through the hedgerows of Normandy and into the heart of Hitler's Europe. He went toe-to-toe with the elite Waffen-SS in the Battle of the Bulge. He bled for his country (two Purple Hearts). I sit in my garage smoking a cigar this morning -- fat, happy and FREE -- because of the sacrifices of a better man than me. I have nothing to bitch about in this wonderful life of mine. Nothing! Gramps, you truly were of the Greatest Generation. And I thank you."
Untitled by Jason Maier
Untitled by Jason Maier

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Thanks for posting this. The greatest generation indeed. If you ever have the opportunity to travel to the northern French coast a see the beaches, it is truly a humbling experience. I grew up in the U.K. and was lucky enough to go there several times. The gravity of what that signifies, the sacrifice that these men made will never be lost on me. England was on a knife edge. It was people like your grandfather, men that had probably never been to England before the war, that put it all on the line and ended up turning the tide.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Thanks for posting this. The greatest generation indeed. If you ever have the opportunity to travel to the northern French coast a see the beaches, it is truly a humbling experience. I grew up in the U.K. and was lucky enough to go there several times. The gravity of what that signifies, the sacrifice that these men made will never be lost on me. England was on a knife edge. It was people like your grandfather, men that had probably never been to England before the war, that put it all on the line and ended up turning the tide.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Incredibly well written and humbling thoughts. I'm sure your grandfather is proud of you.
Thank you gentlemen!

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I feel the same way when I look at a picture of the ship my father was on on WW2. It has picture and stars underneath that represents everything the destroyer sank or shot down while in battle. He fought in the pacific. What a great generation!!!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I feel the same way when I look at a picture of the ship my father was on on WW2. It has picture and stars underneath that represents everything the destroyer sank or shot down while in battle. He fought in the pacific. What a great generation!!!
Amen brother!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very well put. A brave generation indeed. I offer much gratitude. The soldiers from WWI were cut from the same stone. My uncles fought in WWII (mostly in the pacific theatre) and my Grandfather in WWI. I never had the honor of meeting my Grandfather nor my oldest uncle, except during a childhood visit to Arlington.

Cheers and much thanks to all of the soldiers, airmen, marines and sailors that allow us the freedom and liberties that we have today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk