What's new

Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Loved everything up until the gun part. Too many things in there made me cringe... condition two gun, no eye pro, etc

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
While I'm all for discipline, I think there is a fine line to walk between over/under disciplining your child and all children are different. I have no idea where this guy's actions fall along the continuum with regard to his daughter, but over disciplining can sometimes have the opposite effect and children begin to rebel even more. No laptop for 3 years (which, by the looks of it, this was no empty threat) seems na bit much for a kid venting on facebook.

That being said, parenting is very complicated, all children are different and I give parents a tremendous amount of leeway before judging. I hope his daughter learns her lesson.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
This guy is doing it all wrong.
Saw this story yesterday and thought the same thing. If it's boiled up to this then perhaps you need to reevaluate parenting strategies :dunno:. That said, lots of people are going to be throwing around opinions that don't really know what all is involved in the home situation...

Dan

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Whether you agree with it or not, the fact of the matter is, different kids react to different punishments....differently. It depends on the personality of the kid... My dad could glance at one of my brothers the wrong way, & he would freeze. My dad could just tell him how much he had dissapointed him, & my brother would lose it. My other brother on the other hand, was as hard-headed as they come, & I thought was going to murdered by my father before he left that house. :nodlaugh:

Point is... I'm not going to say he's doing it wrong. :innocent:

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Whether you agree with it or not, the fact of the matter is, different kids react to different punishments....differently. It depends on the personality of the kid... My dad could glance at one of my brothers the wrong way, & he would freeze. My dad could just tell him how much he had dissapointed him, & my brother would lose it. My other brother on the other hand, was as hard-headed as they come, & I thought was going to murdered by my father before he left that house. :nodlaugh:

Point is... I'm not going to say he's doing it wrong. :innocent:
My point exactly. :)

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Yeah right today's kids are just angels :) give her a ten minute time out and buy her a new car it'll be alright :)

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I'm all for discipline but think he went a bit far with the gun. That said don't know about the dynamics of the house. I'm not going to tell anyone how to raise thier kids and he's not beating her so hopefully she'll learn.

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Don't know the situation so I can't say much about the punishment.
I had chores, walked, then rode a bike four miles to school and back, got my but whipped and I turned out alright and love my parents. Today: Instant gratification is the American way.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
LOVE IT!

Of course, this is one guy and his one kid, so I can't judge whether it was appropriate or not. But it's not an automatic "horrible parenting" in my mind, no way.

I think the post that kid made was way out of line, and clearly this has been an ongoing issue. If it were me, I'd sell the computer rather than destroying it (though if I did, it would be with a sword not a gun, lol), and then use that money as some kind of teaching tool that was meaningful and specific to that child.

This is an endemic problem in the US right now. It started with my generation (Generation X) who were raised by the Hippie generation. My parent's generation taught us (whether they meant to or not) all of the values of the 60s ... "Don't trust anyone over 30," authority is meaningless and something to be disdained, showing respect to others (especially elders) is not necessary, if you are "passionate" about something, it's okay to do it no matter what, working hard is pointless if you can get what you want by an easier way, etc. etc. etc. (I'm speaking in generalities about society as a whole here, not specific parents. My parents didn't teach me most of those things, yet they are ingrained in me all the same).

Generation X has an ingrained disdain for authority, an entitlement mentality, and a general lack of respect for others. The children of Generation X (the early portion of which are in their teens now) are even worse in all these aspects. Society as a whole is in a LOT of trouble if parents don't start teaching children respect and responsibility.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
While the gun might be seen as over the top. I assume he bought the lap top for his daughter so if thats the case its his right to put 7 bullets in it if he so chooses.

I had little chores growing up and had it fairly easy on that respect. But once I was 16 and could drive I bought my own car and was working, if I wanted something I paid for it my self. It seems now kids are getting spoiled with cell phones, iPods etc and are not learning to buy things them selves.