What's new

"Daddy, my Ipod won't work" 911

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I have just received a 911 from my 13 year old daughter. She received an Ipod for Xmas and now it won't turn on. It is charged, but for some reason will not turn on.

Anyone had this issue. Is it an easy fix? Is it covered by warrantee? Any advise on repair services?

Anyone, Anyone? Bueller?

She is going to drive me nutts until I have it taken care of.

Thanks

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
The last three my wife had did the same thing. She went back to the store (without a reciept) and they just gave her a new one each time.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I have just received a 911 from my 13 year old daughter. She received an Ipod for Xmas and now it won't turn on. It is charged, but for some reason will not turn on.

Anyone had this issue. Is it an easy fix? Is it covered by warrantee? Any advise on repair services?

Anyone, Anyone? Bueller?

She is going to drive me nutts until I have it taken care of.

Thanks
Start here:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/

What kind of iPod is it? If it's a hard-drive based iPod (iPod Classic or an older model), it's more likely to break if dropped, but otherwise a reset or software restore should fix the problem.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Da DaDa Daaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Brothers to the rescue. I love this place. Both ideas will be utilized.

Thanks

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
If your reset to factory every song is lost and it's like burning money, if can be fixed another way do it..

But you can download everything again from your computer, which maintains all your music, including the purchased stuff. I have had to do this 3 times in the past 2 years thanks to issues. Worked like a charm. If need be Scott, cal me on the phone and I'll help you out.. hehe..

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
If your reset to factory every song is lost and it's like burning money, if can be fixed another way do it..
All of the songs should still be on the computer that syncs with the iPod. Also, iTunes has a feature that makes it easy to back up your music library:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302392

If you're going to restore an iPod, it's probably a good idea to first back up your music library.

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
While we're on the subject of iPods, Hendy -- what kind of iPod is it?

I know a few people that have the iPod Touch, and do not realize what a wonderful little gadget it is because they're not utilizing it to its full potential. You can "jailbreak" them and add a ton of neat apps and utilities. Let me know if it's a Touch, I can turn you on to some major league coolness.

Jimmy Robusto

Fire up a Hog Leg!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which iPod model? The standard simple reset is to hold down the center button and the menu button simultaneously for a few seconds until the screen goes dark, then relights with the Apple logo. After that everything should work well.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Which iPod model? The standard simple reset is to hold down the center button and the menu button simultaneously for a few seconds until the screen goes dark, then relights with the Apple logo. After that everything should work well.
It's a nano. 4gb

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
iPods in general are just great, really.

I have the 16GB Touch.

At present I have 7GB of music, 8 episodes of the TV show "Heroes," (ripped off DVD - I refuse to buy video content off iTunes unless that's the only way I can get it), two full-length movies, and trailers for several different upcoming films.

That's in addition to my cigar podcasts (3), my fly fishing podcasts (2), 3 different tech-related podcasts (those are all video, the others audio-only). Additionally, after jailbreaking it, I have an email client, a scheduler, solitaire, blackjack, chess, and a Nintendo emulator on it, as well as a flashlight (you'd be surprised how damn handy that thing's come in) and an e-book reader with 3 novels on it at present.

Hendy, I can tell you how to easily add video - like, DVDs in your collection - onto her iPod. With the 4GB she won't get a lot of them on, but it's free and avoids having to buy them off iTunes.

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Bill -- I'll get the doc on it exactly on the site I got it off. It sounds *just* a bit scary, but if there is any problem (I know 10 people that did it, only one had an issue, and it was his own fault for running the wrong firmware version), you just reset it and start over. It can't hurt the hardware. It *will* delete all your music and stuff, but as you said, you can just put it back on. I'll post it here when I find it again ...:scratchhe