What's new

Dads

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My dad smoked cigarettes for forty years. Then he got cancer. He survived and never picked up another pack. He isn't happy that I'm back to smoking. He doesn't lecture me about it. In fact he even bought me a couple of sticks.

Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Dad smoked ciggs and a pipe until a few years back. He smoked borkum riff bourbon or whiskey flavor. I have all his old pipes and a piperack that he made. He inhaled his pipe also every few puffs. When I was growing up in my house there was an ashtray with a cork in it in and pipe nail several key places in the house, his desk (which doubled as the telephone table for whoever remembers when you had one of those lol) the recliner in the living room and where he sat at the kitchen table. I would never restore any of his pipes because the the value in those pipes to me is the wear and the chew marks. Each one is part of my dads life. Good thread Griz. I`m attaching a pic of the pipe rack he madeads rack.jpg

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My parents smoked cigarettes, I hated them growing up. My Dad recently quit and my Mom is working on it. I've talked to my Dad about smoking the occasional cigar with me, but he had a bad experience with machine mades when he was a kid and just has a mental block on them.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
My father said that he use to smoke 3 packs of Pall Mall cigarettes a day and always one cigar after dinner, every night. He might squeeze two pipes on occasion. He gave all this up at the end of his first marriage, about 10 years before I was born. Like Problemcauser's pop, my dad won't have a cigar with me, for fear his addiction my relapse, but will usually sit with me if I'm smoking at home or at his house just to make sure our scotch glasses don't get too empty.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad smoked Kools but quit when I was about 5 years old. When he found out I got into the cigar hobby he told me he dabbled in it way back when Thompsons used to do catalog orders. He won't touch tobacco anymore. My grandparents on his side were both heavy cigarette smokers (Benson and Hedges) but I have no recollection of any cigar or pipe smokers in my family.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Dad quit smoking cigarettes before I was born. He always talked bad about tobacco, which is probably what let me down this path.

I had friends whose dads smoked pipes or cigars. Always loved going over to their places. Took a deep smell every time I went over!

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
My dad doesn't smoke. He told me he tried cigarettes a few times when he was in the navy. Like some of you guys, I don't drink or smoke around my dad. But I'm not keeping it secret just not smoking and drinking out of respect (kinda like not cursing around him, haha). I'd like to see @SDShark chime in at some point. I've herf'd many times with him and his dad!

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
My Dad never had anything to do with tobacco of any kind. Unfortunately, it's been over a year since we've spoken. Just before I started the cigar hobby, so he has no idea I smoke. He hasn't even had any contact with his grandson's. Missed their birthdays and Christmas. He got pissed at me over some BS. Pretty sad actually.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My Dad never had anything to do with tobacco of any kind. Unfortunately, it's been over a year since we've spoken. Just before I started the cigar hobby, so he has no idea I smoke. He hasn't even had any contact with his grandson's. Missed their birthdays and Christmas. He got pissed at me over some BS. Pretty sad actually.
Don't know what happened, but I would humbly suggest that you swallow your pride and reach out to him (if you haven't)!
My Dad was one of my best friends, but we went thru our trials & tribulations over the years. And now that he's gone, I would give almost anything to have him back.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My maternal grandfather was a piper and both of my parents smoked cigarettes pretty much their whole lives. Dad passed at 76 in '01 and mom passed at 84 in '07. Neither drank alcohol. I remember my dad also smoked a pipe for a few years, but not that often.

Tomorrow would have been my dads 90th birthday. I have thought of him several times today and then ran across this thread. I had lots of great memories. Thanks for this thread.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Don't know what happened, but I would humbly suggest that you swallow your pride and reach out to him (if you haven't)!
My Dad was one of my best friends, but we went thru our trials & tribulations over the years. And now that he's gone, I would give almost anything to have him back.
I appreciate your advice, but I've been there and done that several times over the years. Ball is in his court this time. We've never had a great relationship, and although it hurts, I've come to terms with it. However, I'll never understand how a man could abandon his grandchildren.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I appreciate your advice, but I've been there and done that several times over the years. Ball is in his court this time. We've never had a great relationship, and although it hurts, I've come to terms with it. However, I'll never understand how a man could abandon his grandchildren.
Sorry to hear that, but I totally understand.
Good luck Brother.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
My dad smoked a pipe in college, but decided it was killing his tastebuds, so he quit. He thinks it's kinda cool that I smoke cigars, and is always asking interested questions, but has no desire to smoke with me whatsoever.

My grandma smoked cigarettes until her dying day, so my mom is pretty convinced anything smoked is of the Devil. So she's never smoked anything in her life.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why my dad never smoked cigars. I mean from what I understand, his Uncle rolled cigars on Queen St. in Toronto. I think he owned the store too. I think they were friends at one point. You would think with that going on in the family, he would have smoked sticks but I guess the cigarettes were easier for him.

Man I recall going to his office and seeing ashtrays full of butts lol... the good old days :).

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I asked my dad about cigars tonight. He said, "back when I was riding bikes we smoked Back Woods. You didn't need a fancy humidor. We just threw them in our pack and hit the road."

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Apparently, my Dad smoked cigarettes but I have no memory of him doing so.

By the time my memories kick in, he was smoking a pipe. He gave those up... 30 years ago at least, if not closer to 40. He still has them but they are decorations now in his office.

He still lives in Canada so he's not seen my collection

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
This is cool, I never guessed I would get all these responses and differing stories. Keep em coming, I am enjoying this.... except for the one of the trouble between jonboy and his pap, Hope that all comes out well. My Dad and I had some rough times but I was working for him, ya cant work for family..... after I quit and found another job, we got along great.