What's new

Dakota Fanning to do Rape Scene in Next movie

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
A little to young IMO

Link

Remember Dakota Fanning? The one child actor who is actually gifted and not annoying, who has proven to be equally adept at silly kiddy fare (Cat in the Hat, Dreamer) and meatier dramatic roles (Man on Fire, War of the Worlds)?
Well, in some of the most mind-blowing news we’ve heard since, I dunno, we discovered Santa Claus wasn’t real, apparently young Dakota’s mother/agent/handlers have all decided that what she really needs to do at this point in her career is get brutally raped on-screen.
Dakota Fanning just turned 12 years old this year.
The movie, Hounddog, which is currently filming in North Carolina, written/directed by Deborah Kampmeier, produced by Robin Wright Penn, and co-starring Penn, Piper Laurie, and David Morse, tells a dark Southern tale of child abuse and Elvis obsession. And it just happens to feature Fanning being explicitly raped in one scene and nude in others.
Keep in mind, this isn’t some fading star desperate for one last controversial shot at glory—this is a very gifted, very critically lauded up-and-comer who depends on the adults around her to help her make responsible decisions about her career.
Apparently, Dakota’s mother and agent see this role as an “Oscar vehicle”: “It’s not just the rape scene—the whole story is challenging Dakota as an actress,” Cindy Osbrink, Fanning’s agent, told the New York Daily News’ Lloyd Grove. “And I’ve never been so proud of her in my life. I’ve seen the dailies, and in every scene she gets better and better.”
Although the disturbing scenes have already been filmed and the rest of the filming wraps tomorrow, several investors have backed out of the project. As a source close to the production told the Daily News’ Lloyd Grove, “The two taboos in Hollywood are child abuse and the killing of animals. In this movie, both things happen.”
Ah. So it’s breaking taboos. Well, forgive us if we don’t quite have as much of a problem with seeing animals killed on the big screen.
As talented an actress as we think Fanning is, who the hell wants to go see this movie? Yes, we’re sure it might help people who haven’t gone through it better understand the horrors of child abuse. But even if it’s brilliant and moving and all that, who outside of pedophiles wants to see a twelve year-old get raped? And who wants to be seen going into this movie?
Is this not the worst idea of all time? Are we off base here?

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
uhhhh....wtf is her mother/agent thinking. I do not agree with that at all. She is a 12yr old kid and should not be taking such rolls. Any adult with a brain would not want there child to go thru that even if its only a movie. Wonder how much money she will make for that and how much of that money does her mother get. That would be an interesting question to have answered.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You know, I'm all for artistic freedom.
But isn't there some law against showing nude 12 year olds?

BTW asking "who outside of pedophiles wants to see a 12 year old raped?" is a misleading question.
No one wants to see it, just like no one wants to see some of the really horrible things that happen in some movies, but if they're part of the story you accept it as the reality of the story.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Thats disgusting. They're already planning here VH1, "I Was a Child Star"

but then again, nobody made a beef about Colin Ferral's "The New World" movie where he was making out with an actress who was 14 in real life.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Terrasco said:
This just goes to illustrate the disconnect between Hollywood and real life. Incredibly bad idea.
There are plenty of young children that are sexually abused in real life.
Whether you want to be confronted with it is your choice.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kingston said:
There are plenty of young children that are sexually abused in real life.
Whether you want to be confronted with it is your choice.
My point wasn't that making a movie about sexual abuse was a bad idea, but that it was a bad idea for this child's parents to expose her to the emotions of being brutally raped and exposed to the world. The scene could probably be accomplished with the same effect without being brutally graphic and without giving this little girl quite as much emotional baggage to take into adulthood.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
12 yo girl nude scenes and rape is not my sorta movie to take my wife to the theater. Having an 8 year old daughter makes me think of killing some bastard that would do such a thing to a small person. I hope Dakota will be ok later in life as well. She is a strong minded person from what I see in the movies.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see why people see these types of movies, you leave the movie theater disturbed and feel creeped out the rest of the day, not exactly a feeling I would spend money on.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first read this post yesterday and didn’t completely know how to respond. It turns my stomach but I can’t say that there is anything wrong with writing the story. People write about horrible events all the time (war, holocaust etc. ). Molestation is another unfortunate thing that has happened for ages. I realize that these scenes are written not for anyone’s enjoyment but to illustrate the horror of it.
Should this story be written, I don’t think that anyone would advise children to read it nor will anyone advise children to see such a movie (I hope). How, then, can they justify having this young girl, the actress, perform the scene? She probably had to do the scenes again and again while people stood around watching and filming and adjusting the lights.
It sickens me to think of the images that are permanently imprinted on this girl’s brain. She is just barely forming her ideas of intimacy, her body and sex. How can she differentiate that this movie was about a twisted individual from the idea that all men she meets may have these ideas in their heads? She is a smart and mature little girl but its shortsighted to assume that she can critically evaluate this situation. This thought is hard for adults to wrap their brains around and this girl is barely pubescent.
The scene illustrates a very real and disgusting example of human behavior but why expose it to her before she would come to learn about it otherwise? And what’s worse, actually put her, physically, in that situation?? And she got paid for it.
I remember that scene with Jodie Foster from The Accused and I shudder when I think of it.
I am the first person to say that our children should not be raised in a bubble. Completely sheltering children prevents them from being able to function in the real world. In this instance, however, I believe that we need to adamantly protect their innocence.

Anyway, that’s my opinion, I could be wrong.
Kate

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Is she actually raped or are they acting?

I'm kind of torn on this...it does not seem to me that she is actually being raped.

I would also hope that her parents and the rest of the crew were acutely monitoring here emotions and reactions so as to help her separate the acting out of the scene from reality.

In seeing interviews with her she does come across as being somewhat more socially and intellectually advanced then a typical 12 year old.

Until I watch the movie, which I would likely never watch, I am not jumping to any conclusions.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Is she actually raped or are they acting?

I'm kind of torn on this...it does seem to me that she is actually being raped.

I would also hope that her parents and the rest of the crew were acutely monitoring here emotions and reactions so as to help her separate the acting out of the scene from reality.

In seeing interviews with her she does come across as being somewhat more socially and intellectually advanced then a typical 12 year old.

Until I watch the movie, which I would likely never watch, I am not jumping to any conclusions.
There is no way she is actually raped, it's all acting.