What's new

Dallas B&M?

GWN

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi folks:
first post here, so excuse me if I'm in the wrong section.
Trip to Dallas coming up next month and looking for a well-stocked B&M as close to downtown (Commerce Street) as possible that offers good box prices. Any help is appreciated. Only good website I could find is Montfort Cigars, but they seem to be quite a hike from the core.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Glad to have you here. Post an intro. in the introduction forum. I'm sure some of the Dallas BOTL's can help you out.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
There are a LOT of b&ms in the Dallas area, but unfortunately you're not gonna find many in the central business district (downtown proper, where all the big buildings are). There are a couple of cigar-friendly BARs down there, but no actual b&ms. For those, you're going to have to go on a bit of a hike.

The closest b&m to downtown is in uptown:

Up In Smoke
UPtown Plaza
2222 McKinney
Dallas 75201
214-855-1234

I haven't been to that particular location, but I do frequent one of their other locations (on Loop 12 and 75 Central, a few miles to the north near the Park Cities). Of all the b&ms in Dallas, Up In Smoke carries some of the finest selections (Fuente, Davidoff, Tatuaje, etc) however they don't necessarily have the widest selection, and you have to be a club member to get access to the top-shelf selection.

The widest (but not necessarily the finest) selection in Dallas is probably at Monfort Cigars, which you seem to have already found...but that's right on the edge of Dallas & North Dallas, near the Tollway and 635. That's about 8 or 10 miles away. Of course, it might be worth the trek up there if you're planning on buying boxes; that's the only place I know of in the DFW area that will *haggle* on prices. That's right--the box prices listed are suggested prices. The owner walks around with a calculator in his pocket and EXPECTS to haggle with you. It's kinda fun--if you know your prices well.

NOTE: I heard a rumor once that they owned a downtown location, but I also heard that it was closed. You might want to give them a call and see if you can fid out the real skinny: 972-392-4427

There are a few other b&ms that are inbetween distance-wise. There is CITY CIGARS at the happenin' Knox-Henderson area just to the north of the Uptown area. 3001 Knox St, Dallas 75205. Weak selection IMHO, but they have a roller on-site that makes a lot of custom sticks.

There's also a small b&m called DALLAS CIGARS on Upper Greenvile, 1 block west of 75 Central at Caruth Haven. They don't have much high-end stuff, but you might be able to access it via the DART RAIL; it's off the Red Line, north of downtown, between the Lover's and Park Lane stops. I'd get off at Lovers, walk 1 block west to Greenville, and start walking north through the nice shopping/restaurant district. You'll still have to hike about a mile or two, but if you don't have access to a car, it might be the way to go.

Personally, I'd suggest you start with Up In Smoke in Uptown, since it's nice and close...albiet a tad small. And if you're looking for a place to smoke, I've heard there's a cigar-friendly bar called "Dallasites" on the east side of downtown, near Ross & 75. There is also a bar at Jerobaum at Main & Ackard, but I don't know if they're still cigar-friendly or not. They used to be (I used to live in that building on the 10th floor) but it's been years since I've been there.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

GWN

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the welcome gents, and to Duane for his detailed post. Saw City Cigars listed and was considering stopping there as well but Up in Smoke is new to me, so it I'll hit there too. Indeed looking for boxes as I'm tired of paying 3x the msrp up here in the Great White North. An Cusano 18 robusto cost $15 Canadian the other day. Wasn't sure whether to smoke it or mount it under glass but huddled over the space heater in the garage and puffed away. It's two boxes per person without duty, so I'm good for 4. Thinking one each of Torano Exodus 1959, Hoyo Dark Sumatras, Cusano 18 double maduro and a box of Fuentes if I can swing it. Otherwise, something cheaper like a box of Sancho Panzas or Oliva maduros. Hope one of the B&M's down there can fill the order.
Thanks again and I'll post an intro shortly.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Man, every time I hear about those Canadian taxes I cringe.

Welcome to the board and as was said, post up an intro.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Holy crap, you're paying through the NOSE for NCs?

Geesh, how about I buy them for you, ship them to you, and you ship me...uh..."Canadian" cigars in trade?

:grin:

Hey, let me know when you're coming to town and I'll try to hook up and Herf with ya one night! :waving:

GWN

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks again, all.
Hey Duane, drop you a line when I firm up plans.
It's 1C here tonight so I may venture out and enjoy a 'Canadian' cigar.