What's new

Damn Earthquakes!

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Pain in My Butt Earthquake!

Less than 30 minutes ago! BAM! and over in 10 seconds! Fairly noticable strong 4 maybe 4.5 range. Enough to knock over some stuff, but not enough to Evacuate. We get them All the time. I get E-mails that tell me how strong it was and Where it was. This Puppy was Close! BAM! No rolling or Shimming just......Whack!

We had over 20 1.5 quakes or Higher just today so far. I'm betting the Epi-C is Damn close. I got to where I can tell. I've been in Thousands of them. Obviously most have been Baby Quakes. I got nothin on the So-Cal Bros. But We sure get a Boatload of them, plus knowing that the Strongest Quake in Modern History happened Here 8.9!!!!! That is Always in the back of Your mind when the Planet Decides to say "Howdy!" You wonder if today might be the day it decides to Throw You Off, The Planet? We've had nearly a thousand so far this month here, but today was a Spike!

Who else here Rides the Earth Bronco?

Slack

Hambo

I'm Cigar-a-licious
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow, 20 in one day? I didn't know that Alaska had quakes that bad. I'm sorry to hear that. Y'all should move to the Midwest. We are pretty much Natural Disaster free. Every once and a while we get a tornado. Hang on there Bro and make sure your Humi is protected!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
In the SF Bay area of California, it seems like the majority of the population lives within 10 miles or so of a faultline. Same thing in LA.

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/latest.htm

I usually don't pay much attention to them unless over 4.0 on the Richter scale ... and they usually are 3.0 or less. The most powerful that I've experienced was the one on Oct 17, 1989, when we had one registering 7.1 and a 5.2 aftershock. The epicenter was approx 20 miles from my house.

Slack ... the most powerful earthquake in modern history was in Chile in May 1960. It registered 9.5. The second was the 9.2 earthquake in Prince William Sound, Alaska in March 1964. Knowing what a 7.1 feels like, I can only imagine the terror of living through one that was 9.0 or above. :popeyes: I would probably think the world is coming to an end.

Of course the most recent and most deadly was the Sumatra-Andaman earthquake in the Indian Ocean on Dec 24, 2004. It registered 9.0 and caused the tsunami that killed between 170-250,000 people.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763403.html

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Damn slack I thought you ate some bad food and took a lot of poops! :bouncetau That is until the 2nd paragraph :rofl:

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hambo said:
Y'all should move to the Midwest.
Waitjustonedamnminute. Move to the Midwest...from Alaska??? What in the hell are you smokin'??? :rofl: It'll take more than a few rumblers to make me leave this state.

I honestly didn't know if that was an earthquake last night or my dog going into Labradork mode. He's an oaf and can give the floor a pretty good shot. Plus we don't seem to feel the shakers so bad out here in Peters Creek.

This one was a baby...a 3.9er located out in Cook Inlet at the mouth of Turnagain Arm, 27.5 miles deep. (LINK) For those you who weren't familiar with the frequency of quakes in Alaska, here's a 10° map centered on Anchorage that displays (as of this writing) 85 quakes that have ocurred during the last week.

As far as natural disasters go, I don't think we have it so bad in the Anchorage area. For a while after I moved up here, whenever my Mother heard about one of our earthquakes, she'd ask, "Are you sure you don't want to move back down here?" "Here" is Mississippi. Bless her heart, she worried so. I'd explain that we don't have hurricanes or tornados, severe thunderstorms are exceedingly rare, and heatwaves are certainly no worry. She doesn't ask so much anymore.

So, we have a few earthquakes. No big deal really...most of the time. Oh, and Mt. Spurr hasn't erupted in years. :wink:

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Glad you guys are OK. I didn't have any idea quakes were so common there either. I've been through two earth quakes here in the east but didn't know it because I was asleep both times. Just little ones though.

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah,

I was not aware of it either until I moved up here.

I have to be careful where I move to. I have a built in Disaster compass! I've grew up in Tornado Alley, Lived behind a levee on the Mississippi, Been in countless Storms, Winter and otherwise. Water Spouts, Hail Storms, Sand Storms, Floods, ect. I lived in the Lightning Strike capitol of America. Several Hurricanes, up and down the Eastern Seaboard. Oh Did I mention that I lived in Oregon in 1980? (roll eyes)

So, I've seen a few things.

This last one was not Huge but it was Close and fairly Shallow. So, it got my attention.

Tedski is all over it! Yeah, They've changed the Rating at least twice since '64 once to raise the Manitude and recently to reduce the Higher figure. The reason stated was Recalibration of the Standards for Magnatude.

Since last nights Quake We've had 8 more registered Quakes and % of the eight were 2.0 or Higher and a couple of 3.0+ too! Check out the links Tedski posted You might be surprised at Just How much "Everyday Activity" there is!

I'm sure there are people whom really freak out with quakes. I figure, Hey, I'll either be here when it's over or I won't. So, Running around freaking myself and other people out won't help anyone.

I just hate having to pick stuff up and redo displays. Oh, We don't put Fragile stuff up on Shelves around Here.;)

Slack