What's new

Darn humidor is driving me nuts!

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For the past couple days I have been fighting with my humi trying to get its level up.... but it just won't cooperate....

Humidor: http://www.tampahumidor.com/sitedirector/site/product.cfm?id=735147D2-8864-4CC4-993D0BAA2C23D32D

I am currently using the humidifier that came with it, and 50/50 solution. I had the humidor sitting for days and the level was around 50%. Not be beat, I rigged up an old processor fan to a dial to control the speed and a 9volt battery, and set it directly in front of the humidifier pointing straight at it. That DID help, but the highest it went after a couple hours (about 4) was upper 50's.

I suspected maybe the glass on top was leaking (since it does slide around some without much effort), so I put tape all around the edge on the top, and went to bed. This morning I was up to 60%.... better but obviously not there. For trial-and-error purposes I took the tape off of the top for about an hour and the level had dropped 1-2% (I don't remember exactly) so I put it back on. So, unless of some fluke, my hunch about the top leaking is correct, and I guess I need to come up with a way to seal that (besides yellow painters tape).

The lip on the lid is fairly decent and it fits tight enough (or so it seems) so I doubt thats an issue, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt if there was a way I could improve the seal (more difficult to tape around the top, expecially with hinges to worry about).

Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible that the solution is just... bad? I wouldn't think this is even possible, but it had sat for quite some time, and if its possible for the water and chemical to seperate then there is a good chance (I never shook it).

I have a 2oz tube of 65% beads on the way, hopefully they get here tomorrow and solve my problem!

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For good measure I just taped all around the lid so there is no possible leak.... if it STILL stays at 60% would it be stupid to think its bad solution?

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Is it new? I'm sure tampa would help you out or trade it in? ... if it is the glass

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Poni said:
Is it new? I'm sure tampa would help you out or trade it in? ... if it is the glass
Unfortunatly no its not, I have had it for over a year but never really used it (funny how that works).... the only cigars I had in it were gone soon enough I just assumed the humidifer was doing its thing and never watched the levels.... but now I'm really getting into this so...

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I used to use the analog one on the front but its a pain to calibrate (cheap) so thats for looks now... I have a new CaliberIII digital temp/hygrometer

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well sure enough it was the 50/50 solution. I added a tupperware dish of distilled water to the humidor apporox 1 hour ago and the humidity level is already 67%

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I would still look at putting a bead of silicone around that glass. Sounds like things might be turning around for you. :thumbsup:

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
Also depends on the glass. Glass can change the temp of the humidor pretty quickly so it will affect the humidity. I tried all kinds of shit and still would not keep the humidity up.. Needless to say I bought a another humidor at the time!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I was thinkg of replacing my humidors door with a glass door, sounds like that wouldn't be a good idea. Not enough insulating?

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So what you're saying is if it's exposed to sunlight the glass would not be a good idea b/c the temperature would continually increase?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You got it. All depends on how you do it, but if the humidor is exposed to sunlight, you are going to have heat issues.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
thank you good sir. Even though my room gets no sunlight...it still helps since the humi I got from tubaman has a glass front. I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow! Excited!