What's new

DC/MD/Nova Herf

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Alright gents, there have been a few mentions of this but no clear organization yet. Need to gauge interest and decide on a place, time, etc. Chime in with your suggestions and support for others' suggestions so we can come to a consensus. Let's do this!

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I'm in! Tak and I were PMing about this recently. Metro-accessible venue would be best for me, but I'll rent a ZipCar if need be. Maybe Shelly's? I'm around through the holidays.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
We could also consider W. Curtis Draper. On their website, they instruct you to get off at metro center. Nothing really more "central" than that! Only thing is that I haven't been there. Do they have a lounge?

I'm gonna go scope it out this afternoon regardless :stretchgr:thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
My issue with Draper's is that you can't smoke there except Saturday's....not sure if that's still the case, however. I do like Shelleys. Bailey's in the Ballston Mall is a decent option, as well.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I will try to make this as well :)

I have never been to Drapers or Shellys, but have heard Shellys is really expensive and overcharges a lot. About smoking in Drapers, is that true for both the MD and DC locations?

I only know of places that are in Northern VA:
-Burke Cigars has a small seating area, but I don't know if I would consider it a lounge because its just in the back end of the store and not seperate, but I do like this shop.
-I've heard of a lounge called cigar palace, never been, but they supposed to have a nice lounge with poker tables and everything; very close to the van dorn metro station (but not walking distance). I plan on checking this place out soon so I will probably have a better eval within the next couple weeks.
-Old Virginia Tobacco company, there are a few of these in northern VA, most have a lounge or sitting area in the store. not sure which one would be the best or closets to a metro.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
My issue with Draper's is that you can't smoke there except Saturday's....not sure if that's still the case, however. I do like Shelleys. Bailey's in the Ballston Mall is a decent option, as well.
Hasn't been true since they moved to their new location a year-plus ago, you can definitely smoke in their DC store.

As for Shelly's, food and drink is plenty affordable, you just need to bring your own smokes.

I do not consider Burke part of the DC area, that's a million miles away from the city. :)

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I do not consider Burke part of the DC area, that's a million miles away from the city. :)
lol, I agree that it would probably be to far for people coming from DC or MD, figured I'd throw it out there because I don't know where everyone is coming from except for a couple that have northern va areas in their profile. (cigar palace and ovtc might be too far as well)

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
lol, I agree that it would probably be to far for people coming from DC or MD, figured I'd throw it out there because I don't know where everyone is coming from except for a couple that have northern va areas in their profile. (cigar palace and ovtc might be too far as well)
My wife's boss lives in Burke and commutes to downtown every day. Dunno how he does it, that commute would drive me crazy. Courthouse to Capitol Heights via Metro, which I have to do a couple times a week, is bad enough, and I get to read the paper during that. :)

I'd be up for some of the closer-in OVTC locations if that's the consensus. I actually like the store that is in Pentagon City mall, though there's not much in the way of seating for a herf.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well first off, like Chris mentioned, the no smoking thing at Drapers was just for a few weeks a while back because of ventilation issues with the building. All good and definitely can smoke there. Its very centralized to the city (right across from the treasury building) If you're going to metro, depending on which line you're taking, you can get off at Metro Center or Mcpherson square, the latter being a little closer to the shop. Only thing with the DC location is that its closed on Sundays and closes at 4pm on Saturdays. Location wise, I'd choose Drapers. Date wise, depends on everyone's schedule towards the holiday.

I've seen a lot of new DC/NoVa/Md intros lately so I figured why not have a little herf and get to match tags with faces. A couple of us may need to reach out to some of the newbies as they may not be looking at all the different threads. G1

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Burke's is perfect for me - I understand it isn't an alternative to downtown, however.
I'm a big Shelley's fan. Can get expensive if you drink any booze with a recognizable name on the bottle. Burgers are fantastic.
Thanks for the info on Draper's. The hours do present a problem for someone like me who tends to avoid the city until those hours when its closed.
Cigar Palace has maybe one chair. Montecristo Lounge upstairs is members only - something like 300 or 400 per year.
One more place I really like is Signature out Wisconsin Ave. I don't Metro much, so I don't know if that works.
Did a herf with the Asylum brothers at Baileys a few months ago and that worked out pretty well.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm gonna say Burke is too far out of the way to be called "centrally located." That would be a haul for anyone coming from Maryland. Speaking of hauls- I had a quite successful singles haul earlier today when I stopped in to scope out Draper's. It's a nice shop!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355789600.174299.jpg

And right up our alley :thumbsup:

Btw, I just realized this is in the meetups thread instead of the Herfs (fail). Sorry about that.

We could always do a backyard/park/tailgate herf if no particular venue works for everyone. I personally would love to grill some burgers, pass around some cold beverages, and enjoy cigars outside in the company of the brothers.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
There is Signature cigars up off of wisconsin ave at davenport. Just north of tenley circle. Nice selection and they have a lounge. There is another Signature cigars in rockville. OVTC in Sterling. Saylors in Manassas. Leesbueg pipe and cigar in Leesburg.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just checked on the map and realized that Draper's and Shelly's are literally a block away from each other. That's perfect! I'm going to make an executive decision here and call this the venue. We can start out at Draper's (giving everyone a chance to trickle in, grab a smoke or a few, and get acquainted) and then head on over to Shelly's for a drink, dinner, more smokes, etc after Draper's closes. It'll be easily accessible by metro and centrally located. Looks like the best bet all things considered (makes for great flexibility also!).

So, here's what we'll do: we'll say 1pm meetup at W. Curtis Draper's (corner of 15th and G st). Feel free to come as you will, but at 4pm we'll move over to Shelly's to continue the festivities. Now for a date...

This weekend doesn't really work since we have to do it on a Saturday (friday-work, sunday-draper's closed). This Saturday is a LP event at Burke Cigar

***Sidenote: impromptu Pre-Herf at Burke Cigar at 1pm this Saturday if you can make it!*** The code question will be "Have you tried any of the limited releases?" A BOTL should respond, "I only buy limiteds when I want to smack someone." That way we're not running around like some children's book character asking, "Are you from Botl? Are you from Botl?"

Considering Christmas and New Years will come around just after this weekend, we should think about a time in January. I'm gonna throw out January 5th. Any objections there? If that's too early to get the word out to everyone we could bump it back a few weekends. But, it would be good to get this going.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
***Sidenote: impromptu Pre-Herf at Burke Cigar at 1pm this Saturday if you can make it!*** The code question will be "Have you tried any of the limited releases?" A BOTL should respond, "I only buy limiteds when I want to smack someone." That way we're not running around like some children's book character asking, "Are you from Botl? Are you from Botl?"
lol, I will most likely stop by but do not plan on using that code question, but atleast I'll know who you are :)

I'll just post here when I'm on my way and what shirt I'm wearing

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Was at Burkes last night to get my FFP's before they get snatched up Saturday. May be there again tonight. Saturday is a solid 'maybe'. Won't know better before late tomorrow.
Jan 5th is also a possibility....but I can't even plan ahead to tonight....no clue about two weeks out yet

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Anyone planning on going to Burkes today? I might stop by to check out their drew estate evant