What's new

Decade by Rocky Patel

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For those of you who do not know, Patel premiered the "Decade" toro during the Sunday Scotch seminar at the Vegas big smoke. I smoked it last night, and would like to share my experience with you.

The sea breeze slightly ruffles my sleeves as I gently remove the cellophane from the new Rocky Patel Decade Toro.

As I scrutinize the structure, the slightly boxed pressed Toro, 6.5 in. X 52 ring begins to fill the surrounding area with aroma, although not yet lit. The Wrapper is silky, showing great oils and very few veins, and it seems exceptionally well constructed.

I absolutely love the color coordination in the cream and gold band, as it both contrasts and compensates the darker, chocolate color of the smoke. Very appeasing and elegant.

I gently toast the foot and take my first puff to get the cigar at full steam. The first impression it gives is pure spice. The punch of pepper that engulfs the senses is almost overpowering, except that the finish as I exhale is both cedar and leather.

The first half inch keeps this exact characteristic, and I actually almost set it down. To bold for me...

But, to my great surprise, the intensity of pepper almost immediately dies off. I gaze at the glowing foot with a mixture of confusion and suspense. It may have been my palate playing tricks on me, or it may be that I have become used to the spice and have allowed the auxiliary flavors to permeate my senses. That spice is not gone, but has lessened dramatically.

As I puff more, the cigar proves that it is has indeed changed. The flavors are far more round, and an unexpected creaminess has crept to the surface.

From this point to roughly 2.5 inches from the finish, the cigar stays the same. Extremely pleasant. The smoke is full, the burn even, (even in the slight breeze), and the draw is perfect.

Then the leather and cedar hit home. A whole new cigar has emerged- and such that I actually burn my index finger trying to get the last puff or two before I must, regrettably, admit that the cigar is at an end.

I certainly did not blind taste this cigar, and I will be the first to admit that my opinion is completely objective, but I did smoke this cigar to rate it and explain my experience to you. In my opinion, this cigar has scored a 95. Rocky Patel has created a masterpiece.

Bear

PS- Please share your thoughts and criticism of the Decade if you have smoked it. I am anxious to see what others' opinions are.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Another RP, I just can't get excited about it, although your review was outstanding. Wish I could like RP's stuff, seeing as he lived in Green Bay, but alas I just cannot.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Great review!! I hope you are right about the 95, but I'm not sure RP has a 95 in him. I'm never disapointed in his stuff, but there are some I enjoy more than others. Sounds like this may be the one.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The sea breeze slightly ruffles my sleeves as I gently remove..."

Dude, lay off the romance novels...seriously!

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
What a coincidence! I smoked my RP Decade last night too!
I thought it was his best cigar yet. And I'm a pretty big fan of the '92s and the original blend Edges.
Very stellar smoke. I think Rocky Patel's stuff is average for the price range, but the Decade is a must try! I would consider smoking it over a PAM.

TYLER

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Haha. This is the only review I have written as such. There is certainly a question of how the environment plays in the tastes of cigars, and smoking down by the beach is an awesome time.

As for Patel, I have not had any cigar that I have not liked.

Bear

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I had a RP Decade and a Indian Tabac 10th Anniversary today. The Decade did nothing for me, just not my flavour profile. Maybe with a little time in my humidor, they may improve a bit, but I'm not holding my breath.

Now the IT 10th is a different story; I really enjoyed this one.:thumbsup:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Haha. This is the only review I have written as such. There is certainly a question of how the environment plays in the tastes of cigars, and smoking down by the beach is an awesome time.

As for Patel, I have not had any cigar that I have not liked.

Bear
I agree with location and company/friends adding to any cigar.

As far as you love for Patel...I had the same thoughts until I tried the Rosado. YYYUUUUCK!!!!
I'll never smoke one of those again.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
nice review!!

i've had several of the patel line, though i haven't had the decade. i like the 90s and the 92s, though i grow tired of them. i've formed the same conclusion with the others i've smoked. their profile doesn't seem to change....

though, comparing the decade to a PAM, i'll have to give it a try!!

JMN

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I also had a Rocky Patel Decade on Sunday. Sweet initially to me, and a good smoke over all. Very straight forward I thought, good, but good the whole way through. Which is to say I liked it.
I think the same thing of the edge sumatra, good, but good the whole way through. If complexity is your key to a good cigar (to me it does not have to be) I think you might stop short of calling it great. I of RP's stuff is consistent though, I have had two and they were both what I was looking for, even though smoked at completely different times.