What's new

December : Cigar Aficionado : James Bond : Discuss

Wigwam_Motel

Banned
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Discuss:

James Bond [Daniel Craig] is on the cover of Cigar Aficionado, and next page in is an advertisement for Dom Perignon. Nicee! Thought James Bond enjoyed Taittinger champagne http://www.taittinger.com/[by the way good stuff].

After 22 pages of Ad's we get our Highlights of Cigar Reviews.

Highest rated cuban Juan Lopez seleccion no 2 rated 94, next highest would be the litto gomez diez chisel puro with a 93.

Wigwam_Motel

Banned
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Nice Tommy Bahama Cigar Kit :

Rich italian leather encases a stainless steel cigar holder & flask, cutter and torch lighter within a cotton twill lining.

Daviso27

Never been BoM
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Ive been a subscriber to CA for 4 years know....i have sent in at least 15 pics for the moments to remember and they haven't published not even 1....

i agree there is a lot more Ads than anything else. The articles are excellent, but ads...too many adds!

Can anyone recommend another Cigar lifestyle magazine with more cigar ratings and reviews?

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
That's exactly why I don't get CA - 6 pages of ratings, maybe ten pages of articles and over 200 pages of ads. give me a break.

Those JL's are great, and relatively unknown/underated... But 94? is it aged a few years?
Litto's Chisel Puro- that is definitely a deserved rating.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I had the online Cigar Insider for a while and had to cancel my credit card to get them to stop auto renewing the dam thing. The half a dozen notifications to cancel the subscription didn't work. I just don't get enough out of those things any more to be worth while. They are more intrested in being true to their advertisers than their customers. Not saying they don't try to do a fair review, but when it's the same small group of people doing the reviews, it's easy for things like kick backs and friendships to get in the way. Yep, I know they are supposed to be blind tests, but these guys are aware of new releases, get free samples from all the cigar makers and tend to walk through a humidor now and again. I perfer to go word of mouth, it's hard to keep a good smoke a secret.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
...Can anyone recommend another Cigar lifestyle magazine with more cigar ratings and reviews?
European Cigar Cult Journal is, in me opinion, the best cigar magazine; more dedicated to cigars and less to showing ye how the other 10% lives. Plus they give ye a Puck-ifier if ye subscribe.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
European Cigar Cult Journal is, in me opinion, the best cigar magazine; more dedicated to cigars and less to showing ye how the other 10% lives.
Yeah, ECCJ is my favorite. Smoke Magazine is also good. CA has too little cigar content, and Cigar Magazine reads like a JR advertisement.

Plus they give ye a Puck-ifier if ye subscribe.
That's what they claim. I still haven't received mine. I emailed ECCJ 6 weeks ago to ask about this, and they assured me that my Puck would be sent within the week. Still nothing, and they haven't replied to my follow-up email.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
That's what they claim. I still haven't received mine. I emailed ECCJ 6 weeks ago to ask about this, and they assured me that my Puck would be sent within the week. Still nothing, and they haven't replied to my follow-up email.
Is that so? Well, then I'm glad I haven't subscribed yet (I get to read it for free at me local B&M :wink:).

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
Puckifier or not, ECCJ is by far the best cigar periodical available. It has excellent articles on all aspects of the cigar industry as well as reviews. I also get CA however, as someone who works at a B&M you have to realize that a lot of people will base their cigar decisions on CA, before they realize that it is an inferior publication. I feel like I should be informed of anything that they are writing about so I can be the most helpful to all my customers. If it weren't for that, I would not get it. I actually enjoy the online Cigar Insider just because it comes every two weeks, all the other publications come out quarterly or at least not often enough for me.

Wigwam_Motel

Banned
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
kick backs and friendships to get in the way. Yep, I know they are supposed to be blind tests, but these guys are aware of new releases, get free samples from all the cigar makers and tend to walk through a humidor now and again. I perfer to go word of mouth, it's hard to keep a good smoke a secret.
BINGO . James Suckling , Gordon Mott, and David Savona are SELL-OUTS. These guys are getting paid millions by these big companies. All you hear about is CA rating. etc. Some of these top CA ratings are CRAZY. With Cigars, it can sometimes, go for the rating. Guy see's a 94 smoke it and thinks because CA said so, he's will learn to like it. Guy see's a 88 might be a snob and won't smoke it. When in turn the company that got an 88 did not wine and dine them as much.

On page 241 "two cigar aficionado editors. Two cigarmakers. A smoke off." The picture has them in las vegas at a dinner table smoking cigars, but what kind? Cohiba Siglo VI SLB if my eyes are right.

Who are the two cigar makers?

Jorge Padron
Litto Gomez

Two editors ?

David Savona
James Suckling

Place : Wynn: Bartolotta Ristorante Di Mare
[i been to this place dinner was $500 for two people]

Some one is paying someone off, and living a great lifestyle.

There is a quote on page 242 James Suckling

"i was suprised how much "kick" [back] so many of the cigar [makers] had at the cigar retailer show. "

[] are my add in's.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
CA like WIne Spectator is targeted at a high end audience. The purpose like any other money making venture is to sell products and make money. I like the toys, the interviews and the reviews. Like any other advice, I take it with a grain of salt. This is for entertainment. If I want advice on cigars, I just ask you guys.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I never got mine either, I like ECCJ, but dont offer me a free puck and then not come through.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
i consider ca kind of like playboy. it's full of beautiful stuff that i'll never get to have, but it sure is fun to look at!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cravate

The other Brown Meat.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I consider C.A. more like an Economic National Geographic; they both show you places you'll least likely go to.