What's new

Decided to build a 6.5 Grendel

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Upper is assembled. I still need more parts to finish up with the lower. Some stuff is backordered and or out of stock that I want to use.

Upper:
Aero Precision M4E1 Upper
Aero Precision 12" M-Lok handguard
Lilja 311 Profile (oopsie .264LBC chamber)
Kaw Valley linear comp
Precision Firearms BCG black nitride
Raptor Charging Handle
Rousch Gas Block (may replace, but if it works it was cheap)
Magpul Pro BUIS

Lower:
Aero Precision
Hiperfire EDT trigger (installed w/4.5lb spring)
ALG True milspec buffer tube
Magpul ACS
JP silent captured buffer/spring
BAD CASS selector
BAD Pins
IWC QD end plate

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
That looks pretty hazardous to somebody's health! :sneaky: (y)

How commercially available is the 6.5 round? I don't know the first thing about it...but it's obviously much bigger than 5.56 :D

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Hornady makes factory loaded ammo as does Wolf in both brass and steel cases. I am going to primarily be loading my one as soon as I get my press, but it's not difficult to get. You can walk into some stores and buy it off the shelf, I just don't have any of those stores near me right now. The closest may be a Cabela's that's about 1.5hrs away. Gander Mountain, and Bass Pro don't carry loaded ammo in the store. I was able to pick up bullets for loading at Bass Pro.

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Looks like an awesome build man. Be interested in seeing how accurate it is and what your thoughts are on it.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
It shoots! I finally got out with it today. Its gassed properly, feeds well, and shoots very well. I was able to keep Wolf steel case on a 10" target at 200yds. I dont have any grouping measurements. That will wait till next time. Its certainly sub moa. I was stacking shots regularly once I got zeroed on the scope.

I didnt shoot all wolf but ran out of good ammo figuring out the scope and shit, plus I left 25rds of Hornady AMAX at home. Wolf was shot just for fun at the end.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Well guys since I last posted this up I traded a case of beer to a friend with a Rock Chucker. I've been reloading for my grendel using bullets in the lighter end of the 6.5mm spectrum. One of my favorites is the 95gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos. I've been shooting them about .5-.8 moa regularly with a moderate load. They're flying 2630ish fps out of my 16.8" barrel.

Tonight I was doing some charge work up with a bullet from a new company Pure Precision. They're 105gr solids. I set my crap up and shot three foulers at 100yds. I ended up with this on the target.

In full disclosure the rest of my groups were no where near as pretty. I have some 85gr bullets from the Pure Precision company to test out too. I just got them in the mail today so I haven't even planned a load workup yet.