What's new

Developing taste buds?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Since starting to smoke cigars seriously has anyone else experienced an increase in their ability to pick up on more different flavors in other items?

Like beers, wines, cheese, foods?

The past year or so I have started to enjoy different beers and wines that I never liked before starting to smoke cigars.

I can differentiate subtle differences in the flavors of these things and am definitely able to appreciate them more.

Anyone else notice this?

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I notice that I concentrate more on trying to pick up flavors and appreciate things differently, especially in drinks like wine. Not sure if I wasn't picking up those things before, or just didn't really know any better. But I'm sure the concentrating part improves our ability to differentiate.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
i dont really notice too much with foods and wine etc, but i am begining to taste cigars in a whole new way. when i first started smoking cigars, i thought, "wtf? they all taste the same."
but as i smoke more and different cigars, i can tell subtle differences in the flavors.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have noticed it. I thought as I was getting older I was slowing down to enjoy life a little more and this was making me notice everything more.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'm sure some of it has to do with training the palate, if you will. Some of it probably has to do with time of day as well...as I notice my tastebuds don't fully come "alive" until the afternoon.

I think a great deal of it has to do with concentrating like mentioned above too. Even with cigars...I notice myself picking up on things if I'm savoring every puff, in contrast to smoking while driving or doing chores.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think that it's helped my ability to taste cigars and wine a little bit better. I think it just takes alot of practice and concentraton.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I think it was opposite for me. I enjoy cooking and have trained my palate to differentiate subtle differences in spices, herbs, etc. I think this is why I never went through the "every cigar tastes the same" stage. While developing my cigar palate has taken some time I think my food background really helped.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Lately I have started turning more towards what would be considdered milder cigars, with more age on them. I also went back to some non-cubans after a while and appreciated them more.

It also helps that I have a new smoking spot that I can sit and relax and enjoy the smoke. I seem to be able to pick out flavors and enjoy cigars more during warmer weather because during the winter its so windy and you are freezing your butt off which is distracting and made me want to puff a cigar faster to get it over with.

Now I am learning to slow down and take my time. I also started to learn how to blow smoke rings :rofl:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I think it is a concentration factor. I also go out of my way to learn more about what I am eating drinking. All in the hopes of pulling flavors and educating myself on culture.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I know it's helped me...probably because I've learned how to concentrate and look for the differences...for a while, I also couldn't tell the difference in some cigars...sure is nice learning!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I find that I try to disect the flavors in anything I eat/drink/smoke. It's become a mini hobby for me that is kind of enjoyable. I just wish I could smoke more now!

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
Wasch_24 said:
Since starting to smoke cigars seriously has anyone else experienced an increase in their ability to pick up on more different flavors in other items?

Like beers, wines, cheese, foods?

The past year or so I have started to enjoy different beers and wines that I never liked before starting to smoke cigars.

I can differentiate subtle differences in the flavors of these things and am definitely able to appreciate them more.

Anyone else notice this?
Maybe that's why you didn't lose as much weight as you wanted!:hysterica