What's new

Diesel Unholy Cocktail

Rating - 100%
24   0   0

Size / Style - Belicoso, 5.0" x 56
Body - Medium-full
Cost - They're gonna be about tree fitty, $3-4 depending on when and where you get them
Accompanying beverage - Jameson
Wrapper - PA Broadleaf

I've had this one sitting in my humidor for about 3 months.

The Diesel Unholy Cocktail is a new-ish (it's been out for a year or so now I think) cigar produced by AJ Fernandez. He produces a few of my other favorite cigars and I can rely on him to produce a good stick. The name on this one is a little ridiculous but accurate: this cigar is a bit of an ass kicker. It uses a Pennsylvania broadleaf wrapper which adds a unique flavor that is prominent and easily recognizable. It's kind of a mix of leather, earth, chocolate but it's all very subtly blended together so that it's hard to pick out a dominant flavor.

The wrapper is great, kind of rustic and veiny but I dig that. Very oily.

After the cut I removed the band so I could toast the foot but the son of a bitch was really stuck on there that left some paper on the wrapper that I had to scrape off - it also removed a little bit of the wrapper. Minor stuff that you don't generally see but for $3 it's pretty easy to forget about.

First third: Great draw, slightly tight but that's good. The first couple of puffs produce a lot of pepper, strong tobacco (go figure!), and broadleaf flavor. Along with the pepper came a ninja throat kick that put a lump in my throat for the first few minutes. Not something I'm really fond of but it happens with some of the more peppery cigars I have. The pepper eventually mellowed out the allowed the other flavors to come through a little more easily. The ash on this cigar is a little flaky but holds good at about half an inch. The wrapper started to open up near the foot but it held on and didn't cause any trouble. It's also producing tons of a smoke.

Second third: The pepper is almost completely gone at this point and the other flavors have mellowed out. At this point the cigar kind of has a marshmallow chewiness to it that I like. The broadleaf flavor is still there and now it's also giving slightly toasty flavors that are enjoyable.

Last third: Still chewy as ever but with a mellow spice/pepper kick with the broadleaf flavor still prominent, no more toast. A musty flavor is also there which I can't decided whether or not I like yet. All in all, a great cigar that is surprisingly complex. It's also much better than the other one I had so time in the humidor has definitely helped. I've only had to touch up the burn on this cigar a few times but otherwise the burn has been great. For the price it's neigh unbeatable for what you get.

8/10

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Thanks for the review. IMO this cigar was the most pleasant surprise of the year.

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Good review Brother! I agree on a lot of points; even the one about "the son of a bitch was really stuck on there." :rofl:

I had one Sunday evening after working out in the rain all afternoon. It was my 3rd ever and it was as good as the first two! I grabbed another 10 last week on a daily deal, but I corrupted my partner a few months ago, and now he's havin' storage problems.... so I gave him 5!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Excellant review Rich! :thumbsup:

Regrettably I did not care for them. They have a good draw, burn even but there was something about the flavor/taste that just didn't sit well with me.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Great review and I appreciate taking the time to share it with us. Regrettably I'm in the same boat as Larry. The profile just didn't suit my current likes. However, at it's price, I'm sure most can have a go at it. See how it sizes up to their palettes.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Thanks for the review!
Like a few others. this cigar wasn't my cup of tea..Not even for $3!
I remember the construction being top notch, but the flavor profile was lacking overall.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for the review, sir.

The next time I venture down to Cigars International I plan on picking up two or three of these.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Thanks guys!

Thanks for the review!
Like a few others. this cigar wasn't my cup of tea..Not even for $3!
I remember the construction being top notch, but the flavor profile was lacking overall.
I wasn't nuts about them either at first but time in the humidor really does wonders for these.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Excellent review, my experience on all counts, but much better stated than I could do. And why is that foot band so hard to remove?

I've a few more resting and will revisit in a couple months, then decide, but I too am on the fence with this stick.