What's new

Different jobs in the industry

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am curious as too how many different jobs are in the cigar and cigar related industry, and is it hard too get into depending on your niche. I see a lot of titles like “sales representative” or “manufacture director” etc.

what exactly do these people do in the industry?

And then theirs the social media people, do they actually make money doing reviews and other videos?

Just curious of the business side of things, even the folks the make the bands and boxes, Im curious how many people it takes to make, market , ship, and sell a cigar.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
One local i know of are sales rep rough job you drive 8 hours a day they do give a car stipend and a phone stipend and push the cigars that need pushed on to shop owners. They also have tobacco warehouse jobs but that involves all tobacco products cigars cigeretts and other stuff. Cigars for the most part are produced outside of the country to save on labor the one band company that is very prevelent is cigar rings, i think its just a print shop. I would love to work in the industry but there arent alot of jobs available and the cigar scene is mediocre at best. We dont even have a tatuaje rep here in our state

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are lots of jobs in the industry, however overall it is quite small. There are sales jobs(reps, regional managers, directors etc). Marketing, where I work, we have creative, digital marketing(me), brand managers and more. We have a whole production team as well here in the Miami. There's also IT, Human Resources, warehouse etc, but it varies company to company... Usually you will find those positions at larger companies not as much smaller where people have multiple titles and responsibilities.

Let me know what other questions you have!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well I heard recently Ashton hired some new representatives, 50K was the starting salary, car allowance was part of the gig, but you supply the Car. Also they pay for overnight motel, lunches for business, plus commission. Honeslty it sound good, but life on the road is lonely, and get old. Ashton has a strick dress code, so you have an investment in wardrobe.

Most of the B & M Clerks make a little over minimum wage in my part of the country. Reason is supply of people who want the jobs, and owners who pay peanuts.

Honeslty the Cigar inductry is not a big bucks job compared with working in other industries. If I was a young person looking for excitement I would join the military, do 20 get my pension, and life time benefits, and hope I choose a career field that I could get a good paying job in the civilian world.

Friend was a Nuclear Tech on a Submarine, retired and is now making 100K in the civilian world work in a Nuclear power plant. So he is knocking down about 170K/year.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I heard recently Ashton hired some new representatives, 50K was the starting salary, car allowance was part of the gig, but you supply the Car. Also they pay for overnight motel, lunches for business, plus commission. Honeslty it sound good, but life on the road is lonely, and get old. Ashton has a strick dress code, so you have an investment in wardrobe.

Most of the B & M Clerks make a little over minimum wage in my part of the country. Reason is supply of people who want the jobs, and owners who pay peanuts.

Honeslty the Cigar inductry is not a big bucks job compared with working in other industries. If I was a young person looking for excitement I would join the military, do 20 get my pension, and life time benefits, and hope I choose a career field that I could get a good paying job in the civilian world.

Friend was a Nuclear Tech on a Submarine, retired and is now making 100K in the civilian world work in a Nuclear power plant. So he is knocking down about 170K/year.
now that’s good money but fuck id worry about growing an extra leg with all that radiation and shit lol

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are lots of jobs in the industry, however overall it is quite small. There are sales jobs(reps, regional managers, directors etc). Marketing, where I work, we have creative, digital marketing(me), brand managers and more. We have a whole production team as well here in the Miami. There's also IT, Human Resources, warehouse etc, but it varies company to company... Usually you will find those positions at larger companies not as much smaller where people have multiple titles and responsibilities.

Let me know what other questions you have!
ahh very cool i didn’t think about IT guys and human resources. good thing working at cigar company you won’t find HR sending an email about their reps and digital marketers smoking on the job!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
now that’s good money but fuck id worry about growing an extra leg with all that radiation and shit lol
Well the USA's Neuclear Safety Record is very good in Nuke Plants, the US Navy has never had a bad Subermarine accident involving a on board reactor. If you are worried about your Heath, don't breathe, as our air if full of bad stuff.

If you live in Los Angeles, Riverside, or San Bernadino Copunties you are SOL as the air quality is like a death sentence wait to ber carried out. Sooner or later you will croak from bad air.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well the USA's Neuclear Safety Record is very good in Nuke Plants, the US Navy has never had a bad Subermarine accident involving a on board reactor. If you are worried about your Heath, don't breathe, as our air if full of bad stuff.

If you live in Los Angeles, Riverside, or San Bernadino Copunties you are SOL as the air quality is like a death sentence wait to ber carried out. Sooner or later you will croak from bad air.
shit man such a shame, im from jersey and back in the day we had trees everywhere and they NEVER came down in a storm or anything. now the slightest rain drop and these trees drop. chem trails destroying everything.

me and the old lady have talked about california many times but she won’t go for the reasons you’ve listed.

plus earthquakes, mudslides , forest fires, drought etc lol.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well California was called the Golden State, the Gold has tarnished. Drive I-10 West into San Bernadino, descend from Redlands to San Bernadino. You will see a cloud of nasty smog, it has been there since 1958, but today is is darker, blacker, and harder to breathe. Too many people, too much dirty industry, it is what it is.

We got smog in PHX AZ area in winter time, they in flies in with the snowbirds.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Cigar reps are not even allowed to GIVE AWAY SAMPLE CIGARS anymore.
Very few reps make much money, you have to have a lot of sales and carry a superstar line............

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Cigar reps are not even allowed to GIVE AWAY SAMPLE CIGARS anymore.
Very few reps make much money, you have to have a lot of sales and carry a superstar line............

Apprently Ashton, My Father, and Oliva Representative do well. One guy locally is is brokering many lines, works hard, and does OK. He was formally with one of the big boy of the industry, who decided to restructure his pay & benefits package. So he move on to doing his own thing.

Honestly I think everyday the Internet sales is cutting into B & M's owner pockets. IMHO customers are no longer as loyal to their local shop as they were 20 years ago.

I honestly must get 40 - 50 e-mail weekly from the places that are marketing via online sales. Some of their place must more hugh quantities of product. More then some B & M with a 300 square foot humidor move in a year, they turn in 30 days

If you dream job is being a Cigar Representative talk to people in the inductry, to find out the good, bad, and if their is really and money to be made.

Padron has no outside sale representative, but apprently is selling what they manufacturer. Maybe they have established a deamand for what they make, and don't need an outside sales force to market their product.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Honestly I think everyday the Internet sales is cutting into B & M's owner pockets. IMHO customers are no longer as loyal to their local shop as they were 20 years ago.
Its hard yo be loyal with the extreme taxes in most states.

Its really convenient when you can save a ton of money without driving to a lounge to check stock. Its all about money savings, why spend an extra 30% at a lounge when you can save 30% online?

Its just a financially smart decision.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Its hard yo be loyal with the extreme taxes in most states.

Its really convenient when you can save a ton of money without driving to a lounge to check stock. Its all about money savings, why spend an extra 30% at a lounge when you can save 30% online?

Its just a financially smart decision.
You mean you local B & M is not your favorite charity? Not mine either.:smuggrin:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it...but as much as I love my local BM and the owner Cali taxes have made it that much more of a deterrence. If they offered more than just a lounge it might be worth it but when I have a choice of smoking a cigar for $12 versus $24 in the same kind of atmosphere, I’ll just have a mini herf at my house and supply unlimited booze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I hate to say it...but as much as I love my local BM and the owner Cali taxes have made it that much more of a deterrence. If they offered more than just a lounge it might be worth it but when I have a choice of smoking a cigar for $12 versus $24 in the same kind of atmosphere, I’ll just have a mini herf at my house and supply unlimited booze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Common senses & stretching you dollar. California has a 68% of Wholesale Price Cigar Tax. $5.00 wholesale, $10.00 retail you pay $3.40 State Cigar Tax then more sales TAX.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"For me, the jobs related to the cigars industry are one of the most profitable if you are a smoker. Besides knowing the stuff you are selling, you could also get some tobacco or cigars as a bonus. Also, it's one of those jobs where you make money without big investments. If you are a representative, you have to go to people in public spaces and offer them tobacco products. I heard that the wages are acceptable and more than enough for a student."

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The forum is kinda dead but i just MUST say - there are still great sales representatives allowed and loving to give cigar samples. You are just being unlucky guys (or real doushbags lol) what Im trying to say here is that great representatives of this profession still do exist!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The discussion took a slightly different direction, but I just couldn't help mentioning that the cigar industry can be pretty complex, and there are definitely a lot of different roles that people can have. The sales representatives are in charge of promoting the brand and making sure it reaches different stores and shops, and they might also help out with events and promotions. The manufacturing director is the one who oversees the entire production process, making sure the finished product is up to the company's standards. If you're looking for career opportunities outside of the cigar industry, I'd recommend checking out a resource where you can find all careers in one place. That way, you can easily explore different fields and find new job vacancies.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a wide range of jobs in the industry, from sales representatives to manufacturing directors. It's fascinating to explore how each role contributes to the overall process of making, marketing, and selling cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting to see your curiosity about the cigar industry and its various roles. While the thread is a few years old, your questions about different jobs and niches in the industry remain relevant. Speaking of diverse industries, have you ever considered trying out win real money games? They provide a unique blend of entertainment and potential earnings. There are websites that provide insights into various game apps that offer real money prizes. Just as you were curious about the business side of the cigar industry, you can also explore exciting opportunities for entertainment and financial gains through these games.

Last edited: