What's new

Digital Camera Question

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Is a 3.1 megapixel camera enough to print quality 4 x 6 photos or smaller?

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
The way prices have fallen, you can get a 10 megapixel camera for what the 3 megapixels were going for. Don't know if your looking to buy, but to answer your question, yes you will get fine quality 4 x 6 from a 3.1 megapixel.
I just bought a 8 megapixel Canon and love it.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife went from a 35 mm to a 3.2mp the pix were noticably better. But when she went to an 8.0mp Canon Digital Rebel XT.....Wow!

I'll try to put a few in the gallery for you to see.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The way prices have fallen, you can get a 10 megapixel camera for what the 3 megapixels were going for. Don't know if your looking to buy, but to answer your question, yes you will get fine quality 4 x 6 from a 3.1 megapixel.
I just bought a 10 megapixel Canon and love it.
Ignoring all price issues, look at your useage. Unless you are going for professional photos, you won't need more than 5 and a 3.1 should be fine. If you are using a 10 mega pixel camera, you are going to need a lot of memory on your flash cards and your computer to hold any photos. They will also take forever to up load. I have a 5 Mp Cannon that fits in mt pocket that works and prints justy fine.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
While looking for a new camera a couple weeks back I came across this site. It has excellent reviews and a nice side-by-side comparison as well as links to the best prices. Here's a link to the 3 cameras we were looking at.

LINK

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have two cameras.

A portable Sony 4 MP with a 3X zoom I use mostly.

I also have a 6MP Sony with a 12X zoom.

I never have a problem printing anything from a 5X& to an 8X10. Anything over a 5MP is overkill for everyday use, in my opinion.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Like others have said, you don't need much more that 3-4 megapixals. Also when your looking at cameras pay attention to zoom #'s. Most of the pocket size ones are 3. Digital zoom is junk so don't base any purchase off of digital zoom #'s go off of optical zoom.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my gf just got, and it takes amazing photos, but like it's been said, the photos take up alot of pictures.

The telephoto lens pictured has just been augmented by a nice macro lens used for taking photos of food for our website.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

It's a Cannon Rebel XTI, 10 mp digital SLR. I personally don't like taking pictures with it because I am worried about dropping the damn thing and breaking it.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I have a 5.0mp Canon SD400 and it works perfect for everything I need -- camping, parties, odd and end photos. Woot has 8.1-or-so mp cameras every week or two for like $120, tho. A bit of them even come with rechargeable batteries.

TYLER

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What kind of camera are you looking at, David and what kind of photography will you be using it for? There aren't too many 3MP cameras on store shelves these days so am I right in thinking that you're looking at a deal on a used or discontinued model? If so, there are other things you may want to consider.

Along with higher pixel counts, newer cameras often have improved image processing built in, better optics, and shorter "shutter lag" times than their predecessors. Even if you're just taking snapshots, shutter lag can be a real killer if you're takin' pics of the kids playing soccer or other kinds of action/candid shots. In situations like this, a &#189;-second is forever. Been there, suffered that, and missed many "moments."

But if you just need a casual 4x6 snapshot camera for subjects that aren't too much on the move, 3.1MP ought to do you just fine.