What's new

Digital Camera Suggestions

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Allright, it is time for me to get a new camera. I currently use a Kodak Easyshare LS443 that I bought back in 2003. It has started to go south on me and only a couple of the modes work on the camera.

I would like to get another camera (probably some good deals about this time of the year). I am looking to spend anywhere from approximately 300-500 dollars for it. I would be willing to spend a little more if you can talk me into it.

The only requirement is that I want it to have a rechargeable dock. I don't want to be messing around with changing batteries.

What do you all think is a good camera? I have heard that Cannon's are good, but I don't know the first thing about cameras.

Thanks!

Gummi Bear

Righteously Indignant
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've been told that I can tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet...

I am on my 3rd Olympus camera, and I'm thrilled that they've lasted as long has they have. I use them until they are worn smooth out.

My current cam is the Stylus 1030SW, and I am thrilled to have it. Waterproof to 33 feet, shockproof, crushproof and easy to use, getting 10 megapixel pictures. It uses a XD card, which is not quite as common as a SD, but you can still get them pretty much anywhere. I've had it for about a year now, with no issues. I keep it in the truck, in my pocket, or in the pocket of my golf bag if I'm reviewing a piece of equipment or a course. It looks good as new.

It has been replaced by the STYLUS TOUGH-8000 It looks like MSRP is $380, which you can probably beat online.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I was just going to recommend the waterproof/shock proof olympus cameras. If its a point and shoot you want, if you want better we some some photo junkies on the site. Brooks for one.

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I bought this Canon PowerShot SD780IS12.1 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD from Amazon for $199 shipped. It won ultra compact camera of the year I read on some list....It is a point and shoot no brainer, takes great photos, even action shots it does well...fits in your pocket. :yes:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I went on a business trip this year and hung out with a photographer/owner of a popular trucking magazine from California. In addition to his huge elaborate camera for the magazine shots, he carried along a Canon PowerShot D10 that he absolutely swore by. He talked for hours about this thing. It is also waterproof, freezeproof and shockproof. I checked it out online when I got back and it gets excellent reviews.

No dock but you just plug the AC adapter into the wall to charge the re-chargeable batteries. No need to switch anything out.

I haven't picked one up yet but it will definitely be my next camera. You can get it for under $300.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Sorry, I didn't mean that it had to have a dock. I just want a rechargeable battery. I don't want to have to keep throwing away batteries and putting in new ones.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I was just going to recommend the waterproof/shock proof olympus cameras. If its a point and shoot you want, if you want better we some some photo junkies on the site. Brooks for one.
Phi Delt (Chris) is also a professional photographer.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
If it's for home use I'd suggest checking out the Black Friday deals at the local stores. I know Best Buy has a ton of stuff on sale.

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I bought this Canon PowerShot SD780IS12.1 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD from Amazon for $199 shipped. It won ultra compact camera of the year I read on some list....It is a point and shoot no brainer, takes great photos, even action shots it does well...fits in your pocket. :yes:
I am buying this same camera this week. Everybody has it on sale for $199 right now. Good deal on a very good point and shoot. Even does 720p HD video.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is the advantage of a dSLR over a point and shoot?
There are MANY advantages to dSLRs over standard point and shoot. First of all, more often than not, the image quality is superior because you're using higher quality glass in the lenses (that is, of course unless you've got the five grand for a Leica point and shoot).

Generally, you have much much more control over how the images will come out (ie, exposure, depth of field, shutter speed, etc). If you've never shot with any sort of SLR before, this can seem really intimidating but I'm sure BrooksW would agree with me when I say that the new dSLRs can run on complete auto-pilot if you want them too.

Also, buying a dSLR nowadays is far different than even a few years ago. There are infinitely more choices with regard to price, size, megapixels, and features. Also, most of the newest dSLRs feature a "Live View". Though traditional SLR shooters like Brooks and I would surely die without a viewfinder to look through, these new cameras feature the same big screen on the back that you can use to shoot pictures without ever having to look through the camera's VF.

Finally, the newest dSLRs (depending on how much extra you can spend) can also shoot HD video using the attached lenses. Not sure if this interests you, but I've seen some of the video footage and it can be quite impressive.

Personally, I'm a Pentax guy, but the other big two that people love are Nikon and Canon. All three of these manufactures make compact entry-level dSLRs that should be well within your price range.

Link to some cameras: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=dslr&x=0&y=0

Link to Pentax's entry level dSLR: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-x-2-7-inch-18-55mm-Black/dp/B002OEBTC8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258997651&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (Black): Electronics[/ame]

Hope this helps! PM me if you've got more questions.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Elder...

got an email this week that touches on a few tech aspects of cameras these days...

This week, V.K. asked a very good question regarding his confusion over digital camera megapixels; as always, many of you responded with some great explanations. Some answers were simple yet effective, and some were very detailed and technical. If you read through our members' answers, I think many of you will walk away with a better understanding than before. And one important thing that I think most members who have responded would like you to take away from this discussion is that higher megapixels don't necessary mean you'll produce better pictures; it really boils down to the quality of the lens and the camera's physical sensors size and quality. Those factors make all the difference between producing a good photo and a bad photo.
More info and answers to the question are at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7593_102-0.html?messageID=3173973&tag=nl.e497

For me, I shoot Canon. Have always shot Canon, and love them. Most of the time.

My G7 point and shoot just died, and I'm now looking at either the G11, or the D10. I like the idea of the D10 and it's being able to go underwater, and being shockproof. I am quite certain that a short drop is what killed my G7, so that's a big must for me now.

With regards to DSLR that someone mentioned, they are simply better cameras than your average little point and shoot. A significantly larger sensor, less noise, ability to enlarge (ALOT). I've printed 20"x30" prints from my old 6.3 megapixel DSLR. With the cameras that Brooks and I use these days, we can print significantly larger now.

Another really nice thing about the DLSR, is that there is no shutter lag. you press the shutter, and it takes the photograph immediately. With some point and shoot cameras, it feels like a 1/2 second before they take the photo.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
With regards to DSLR that someone mentioned, they are simply better cameras than your average little point and shoot. A significantly larger sensor, less noise, ability to enlarge (ALOT). I've printed 20"x30" prints from my old 6.3 megapixel DSLR. With the cameras that Brooks and I use these days, we can print significantly larger now.

Another really nice thing about the DLSR, is that there is no shutter lag. you press the shutter, and it takes the photograph immediately. With some point and shoot cameras, it feels like a 1/2 second before they take the photo.
While this is all true, you also need to think about what sort of camera user you are. These increases in quality also come with increases in cost and complexity.

A dSLR can be used as a high quality point and shoot, but the majority of the features that justify the additional cost and weight are aimed at people who want to be able to adjust all the variables (aperture size, shutter speed, ISO, etc).

If you're happy as a point and shoot guy, get a good quality point and shoot. It'll be lighter and easier, and some of the nicer ones do give you a fair number of knobs to twiddle in "manual mode".

-Charles