What's new

Digital hygrometers question

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a question about these digital hygrometers that you guys are using. Do any of them have wires coming off of them or are they all wireless? I know the Oregon Scientific are wireless, but what about the other ones?

Thanks

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one doesn't look like it's self calibrating... it says you have to calibrate it yourself... Now that I think about it, the digital hygrometers that I have in my boxes (the caliber III) says you don't have to calibrate it!

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
That one doesn't look like it's self calibrating... it says you have to calibrate it yourself... Now that I think about it, the digital hygrometers that I have in my boxes (the caliber III) says you don't have to calibrate it!
I looked at some info on the caliber III and didn't see anything about it not needing to be calibrated, but I'm not so worried about the hygrometer being off a little. Does the caliber III come with a wireless sensor or does it have a wire coming out of it?

Thanks

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
The humidity sensor is inside the digital hygrometer. There is no wire and no need for one.

The Oregon Scientific and Radio Shack are referred to as wireless because the sensor and the base unit, the part with the digital read out, are in separate units. The RH and temperature levels are transmitted wirelessly from the sensor to the base unit.

Standard digital hygrometers have the sensors and the read out on the same unit so there is no need for wires or wireless.

As to the Caliber III saying it does not need to be "calibrated" that is simply spin i.e. marketing BS. It does not need to be "calibrated" because it cannot be calibrated. If you place the Caliber III or any other similar hygrometer into an environment of known RH then you can establish a baseline of error in their read out but you can not calibrate them.

The Cigarmony hygrometer linked to allows you to discover the variation in the unit's digital RH readout from the known RH level and then adjust the read out to match the specific RH in your test/calibration environment.

You will see plenty of talk about "calibrating" hygrometers and people asking if some one's hygrometer is "calibrated" or not. All that means is that they placed the hygrometer in a sealed container with some device or system (Boveda packs or saturated salt), discovered the amount of error present, and annotated that error on the hygrometer somewhere.

For example:
You place your digital hygrometer in some Tupperware with a 69% Boveda for 48 hours. You discover your hygrometer reads 70%. Now you know that your hygrometer reads 0ne percent high so from here on out you subtract one from what ever reading you see.

The Cigarmony hygrometer that you are able to actually calibrate allows you to literally change that read out to match the RH of your test media. i.e. No math is involved, it simply shows you the true RH on the display.

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd- I was aware of the wireless explanation, but the info on calibrating the Caliber III and other similar digitals was enlightening! Thanks for the info.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My bad, too much Chimay. I didn't mean to say self calibrating, I meant to say something like "able to be calibrated". Where's that "posting while drunk thread"? Thank Todd for clarifying the whole thing.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I have a radio shack wireless with three remotes that I just got recently. While I love it, I probably would not have gotten it had the new ones mentioned above that Cigarmony carries were available. I realize it's anal or just weird, but I hate looking at a readout and having to subract or add to it to know what the RH is.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The humidity sensor is inside the digital hygrometer. There is no wire and no need for one.

The Oregon Scientific and Radio Shack are referred to as wireless because the sensor and the base unit, the part with the digital read out, are in separate units. The RH and temperature levels are transmitted wirelessly from the sensor to the base unit.

Standard digital hygrometers have the sensors and the read out on the same unit so there is no need for wires or wireless.

As to the Caliber III saying it does not need to be "calibrated" that is simply spin i.e. marketing BS. It does not need to be "calibrated" because it cannot be calibrated. If you place the Caliber III or any other similar hygrometer into an environment of known RH then you can establish a baseline of error in their read out but you can not calibrate them.

The Cigarmony hygrometer linked to allows you to discover the variation in the unit's digital RH readout from the known RH level and then adjust the read out to match the specific RH in your test/calibration environment.

You will see plenty of talk about "calibrating" hygrometers and people asking if some one's hygrometer is "calibrated" or not. All that means is that they placed the hygrometer in a sealed container with some device or system (Boveda packs or saturated salt), discovered the amount of error present, and annotated that error on the hygrometer somewhere.

For example:
You place your digital hygrometer in some Tupperware with a 69% Boveda for 48 hours. You discover your hygrometer reads 70%. Now you know that your hygrometer reads 0ne percent high so from here on out you subtract one from what ever reading you see.

The Cigarmony hygrometer that you are able to actually calibrate allows you to literally change that read out to match the RH of your test media. i.e. No math is involved, it simply shows you the true RH on the display.

Good info, the whole tupperware testing was my first assumption on figuring out how close the hygrometer will be.

Thanks