What's new

Dilemma

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined your site and now seeking your wisdom.

A buddy of mine was given a box of Cohiba Cigars from a customer. The customer had been on cruise and purchased the cigars apparently on the ship. They were labelled Cohiba 2007 Limited Editions. The box looked authentic, labelled from what my research could tell correctly etc. I knew little about the cigar itself and thought it was okay.

Well now I find through further inquiries that the cigars are totally fake and poor ones at that. Boy do I feel foolish. Problem is this guy gave them to me, and I thought (at the time) wow what a gesture. Now this guy was not trying to get one over on me, he doesn't usually smoke cigars and didn't know what to do with them.

So here's my dilemma. Should I tell my buddy about them or just let on that I smoked them and they are gone.

Also another buddy, researched them and found them to be awful. Now he is wondering what to do as well.

What to do?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Unless, he's planning on buying more, I would let it be. If you paid for them, I might let him know, but it all comes down to buyer beware. If you don't know your source, they are probably fakes. And if you thought they were just OK, then smoke them. Do not sell, trade, or bomb them.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Well your buddy didn't buy 'em so I don't see why not.. even if he had purchased them I'd still tell him. He spent a pretty penny on those and deserves to know he got jipped.

You'll find several topics along the same lines here friends buying on a cruise or while vacationing in Mexico, etc. Good rule of thumb is never buy from cruises, mexico, cancun or some dude on the beach who knows a guy or some dude who knows the dude who knows a dude. Always buy from an LCDH so you know what you're getting.

Chances are his customer knew they were fakes and bought them anyway thinking he could pawn off some dog rockets for some VIP treatment.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would not tell your buddy who gave you the cigars anything, but thank you. He was kind enough to give you these cigars and thought he was doing something nice. Don't burst his bubble.

You should send them to me for destruction. PM me for addy.

:welcome:

knokmdwn

La Punta
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMO, I guess it depends how good a friend he is. If he is a good friend, thank him for the gesture but tell him so he doesn't make the same mistake twice. If it is a business type of gesture, let it be.

You should smoke one yourself also and see if they are any good. Some of the fakes aren't half bad, although obviously usually way overpriced. I have had fakes given to me by people that were unaware. Smoked them anyway.

I too would not be bombing with them, raoking with them, trading, etc.. I think most savy cigar smokers are going to know the difference or at least will investigate/research when you are not around. I know that when I get cigars from someone else, regardless of origin, I inspect very closely for things like quality, holes, bugs, mold, etc. If they are isom's, I usually hit up google if it's a stick I don't already have knowledge of.

Just my .02

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
He meant well and is probably just not so educated on cigars and specifically Cuban cigars. I'd thank him and leave it alone. If this is something he does regularly then I might ask him not to pick up cigars for you nicely and just say your kind of particular in what you like and leave it like that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the advice. I may tell him so he doesn't accept such a gift in the future.