What's new

Diplomaticos No. 2 Review

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Generally, a Friday morning is an exemplary model of the mundane normalcy that is my life. However, on this particular Friday, I woke groggy and without bearing to the words “Shawn, art supplies are here!” proceeded by a moderately large mail parcel being thrown directly at my head. While I'm not acutely in favour of this mail delivery method, I am pleased to receive cigars regardless of how they arrive in the mail – even if my father decides my head resembles the mailbox. True to the nature of a young and excited cigar enthusiast, I leaped still half-cocked out of bed and got to work opening this package. Among its rather generous contents – much of which will be seen in reviews to come – lay an interesting cigar of which, until minutes passed, I had no prior knowledge – A Diplomaticos No. 2.

After a several minutes of digging, I was intrigued to find that the Diplomaticos line was actually the first new brand of Cuban cigar to be released after the revolution in 1966 – aside from Cohiba, though this did not become a public brand until 16 years later. Originally packaged as value brand offshoot of the famed Montiecristo, it is important to note that while the Diplimaticos line closely mimicked several of the Montiecristo vitolas – until this year when all but the No. 2 were discontinued – these are in no way factory seconds, the rolling of which actually employs a milder blend separate from Montiecristos all together.

Now, on to the cigar itself.

As per most Cuban cigars, I was able to find little information on the tobaccos in the cigar itself, other than it uses tobacco from the Vuelta Abajo region and is rolled at the Jose Marti factory. At first glance this cigar gives off a rather hefty appearance, though after all it is a rather robust cigar being a piramide measuring in 52 x 6.1. The wrapper has a rich and beautiful caramel hue, and though some sun spots and cracks in the foot are apparent, it's nothing that should affect the burn in anyway. The filler is packed well and has little give to the touch, though it is lighter than I would have expected. Additionally, the seams are nearly invisible, nor are they discernible to the touch.

Pre-light: Taking the time to savour the fragrances of the body and foot, my senses are greeted with notes most strongly reminiscent of the barnyard, followed closely by cedar, spice, and hay. After moistening the cap and removing roughly half an inch from the shoulder, I'm surprised by the exceedingly mild draw that greets my palate - cedar, a mild spice and a faint tobacco nuance are the only definitive notes.

Light: The foot toasts and lights quickly under the powerful flame of my re-tuned Ronson lighter. Notes on the initial light are so mild, they are barely detectible on my palate, offering faint grassy hints of cedar, though the ambient burn is a lovely meld of vanilla, nutmeg and cedar.

First Third: Having given this cigar some time to settle – roughly 10 minutes or so – I'm astonished by how mild it remains, even three quarters of an inch into the burn. Progressing moderately further into this third, the flavor profile finally begins to pick up – notes of vanilla bean are most prevalent, followed by undertones of almond, and even a hint of spice. The expelled smoke has taken on surprisingly heavy nuances for the first third, sharing notes of almond with the draw in addition to toasty and leathery accents. Initially off to an uneven start, the burn has managed to impress me as it improved greatly over the life of the first third, maintaining a relatively even edge, holding ash up to an inch and a half before dropping away.

Second Third: Moving into the thick of the cigar, the ambient burn is almost intoxicating as rich swathes of vanilla-laden smoke waft up to the nose. The draw remains equally as pleasing, still exuding bountiful amounts of vanilla to the palate, accompanied now both by almond and the quintessential grassy notes that encompass Cuban cigars, though the spice present in the previous third has died away. As I expel the smoke and take it in once again nasally, there is little change from first third as toasty almond notes and leather are still perceptible, but it remains just as pleasant nonetheless. The burn only continues to improve as this cigar progresses – fantastic by Cuban standards in my opinion – this time dropping ash at nearly two inches long.

Final Third: Creeping into the finale, it would appear that I am in for a strong, but not overwhelming finish. Even as this Diplomatico moves towards the nub, I'm simply amazed that it has managed to hold on to notes of vanilla this long, not even as an accent but the defining note. Additionally, notes of almond, grass and the return of a mild spice complement the draw quite well. The nasal retro-hale hale has changed little, paying homage to the extraordinary consistency this cigar has offered throughout. The burn has remained reliable as clockwork, maintaining an even edge through to the nub, though now dropping ash in half inch segments.

Final Thoughts: Never before have I encountered a cigar that has managed to put forth such a wonderful arrangement of flavor blended together in harmony. While the profile itself wavered little, I am undoubtedly taken aback by what this enjoyable smoke had to offer – something exquisite for the newcomer and seasoned aficionado alike. A must try for any persons who enjoy a Cuban cigar, specifically a Montiecristo on a pleasant summer day. On a side note, this particular smoke has also left me with quite the nicotine buzz, anyone looking to try this particular cigar would be advised to do so on a full stomach.

Total smoking time was roughly an hour and 20 minutes.

Cheers,

Shawn

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Most excellant review Shawn....but we are spoiled, where are the pic's my friend! :grin:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Dude..how wierd is it that I had that stick as well yesterday for the first time.
Great review and pics. I'm not sure it's one of my favs but it kept me interested till the end and I would smoke again for sure.

Last edited:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I think any cigar in the Diplo line could be a great morning cigar. They all seem to be mild mannered to me.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I think any cigar in the Diplo line could be a great morning cigar. They all seem to be mild mannered to me.
This cigar started off VERY mild mannered, so much so that I was almost shocked when the flavor profile began to progress the way it did. I also agree with you whole heartedly about the Diplomatico being a morning cigar, to enjoy this later in the day - specifically following another smoke - would almost be pointless.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for the review.

I was just looking at these on one of the sponsor's sites and wondering how they are. You never hear much about this brand. You hear a lot about Cohiba, Partagas, and Bolivar, but not much about Diplomaticos. I really am thankful for the review. I'll be buying a single of this stick.

issues

DPG & Tat Whore
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent review, I really enjoy these myself!!! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I only have 1 left. :frown:

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Thanks for the review.

I was just looking at these on one of the sponsor's sites and wondering how they are. You never hear much about this brand. You hear a lot about Cohiba, Partagas, and Bolivar, but not much about Diplomaticos. I really am thankful for the review. I'll be buying a single of this stick.
Glad I could help :)

Helluva Picture Perfect Review! Thanks..

p.s -
What kind of camera do you use?
Thanks! Just a Kodak Easy share, nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

Again thanks for reading everyone