What's new

Discontinued in 2012

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just doesn'take sense to an American mind. Why discontinue, just make fewer or fix the price point.

But HSA are Commies, they think that people will buy from them no matter what, so if they streamline--in their minds--they win, because everyone will still give them money. I think they are WRONG. I think that at least a lot of people will not simply replace the BCE with more BPCs, but will buy more NCs, or simply buy fewer cigars.

I really HOPE so, because these idiots clearly don't care about the consumer base, only sales numbers. So they need to see their sales decrease for them to wake up. HSA treats cigars smokers like we were cigarette smokers, and will just keep buying because we need to.
In a way, they are right. Just like it's impossible to (legally) obtain CCs in the States, it's hard to get good NCs outside. Since CCs are readily obtainable, few vendors will make that extra effort to stock up on quality NCs. Here in Slovenia (Eastern/Central Europe), practically the only premium cigars you can buy are Cubans. The only NC stuff avaliable are some Macanudos, Quorums and other inexpensive sticks, so if you want quality, you've got no choice but to stick with Cubans.

Eventually, I guess if Habanos start consistently putting out crap, the situation will change, but it's a two step process, in which both the consumer as well as the importer need to realize good cigars are getting made in other parts of the world, too. However, before that happens, we've got no choice but to smoke whatever Habanos sees fit for us to buy.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
In a way, they are right. Just like it's impossible to (legally) obtain CCs in the States, it's hard to get good NCs outside. Since CCs are readily obtainable, few vendors will make that extra effort to stock up on quality NCs. Here in Slovenia (Eastern/Central Europe), practically the only premium cigars you can buy are Cubans. The only NC stuff avaliable are some Macanudos, Quorums and other inexpensive sticks, so if you want quality, you've got no choice but to stick with Cubans.

Eventually, I guess if Habanos start consistently putting out crap, the situation will change, but it's a two step process, in which both the consumer as well as the importer need to realize good cigars are getting made in other parts of the world, too. However, before that happens, we've got no choice but to smoke whatever Habanos sees fit for us to buy.
I see that sad truth for countries such as yours. But I know that some US places will ship to you, if you're interested in NCs.

Personally, I'm about fed up with HSA. Between the deletions and general disregard for their customers, and the crap quality control, I'll spend my money elsewhere. I know many talk about how much better QC is in the last few years ... but if this is "better," then it was unbelievable before. I still get 25% duds/plugs (including 2 full boxes from '06 and '09).

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I see that sad truth for countries such as yours. But I know that some US places will ship to you, if you're interested in NCs.

Personally, I'm about fed up with HSA. Between the deletions and general disregard for their customers, and the crap quality control, I'll spend my money elsewhere. I know many talk about how much better QC is in the last few years ... but if this is "better," then it was unbelievable before. I still get 25% duds/plugs (including 2 full boxes from '06 and '09).
you need to stop getting your stuff from PE ;)

hdlr

Large Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WTF! they might as well pull the entire LGC and ERDM line.
Sad but true.

Although the No. 2's and 4's are supposedly still being made, try and find some. It's like they already stopped making them.

And the entire regular production ERDM line now consists of just the Choix Supreme.

Unf#ckingbelievable.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally, I'm fine. I've still got a jar full of cigars from my last trip to the States. Also, if you're dead set on getting premium NCs, there are some EU based dealers as well. I've found a German web-retailer that's willing to sell single sticks (the prices aren't as great, though).

But again, that's more of an escepcion than a rule. Shipping from outside of the EU means you have to deal with customs charges which can be quite substantial (and in our case also rather unpredictable). Moreover, from what I've seen, most dealers only sell boxes.

I'm guessing that the average (European) customer doesn't spend hours researching the cigar situation on the web, so he's not likely to know about the premium NCs which his B&M doesn't provide. And even if he is made aware of them, he's probably not very likely to shell out money for a whole box (+ the customs charges) of cigars that may or may not prove to be good.

So there, as long as HSA keep quality above cafe cremes and macanudos, and the average prices lower than davidoff, they'll do fine.

Last edited:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
^ I think you're totally right. And that's why the old adage that says "NCs just don't sell well outside of North/South America" is silly. They CAN'T sell well because hardly anybody sells them!

I'm sure some places sold NCs a while back, stocking Macanudos and the like, and people didn't buy them, so they gave up. But with so many amazing NCs available these days, I have no doubt that a lot of them would catch on in other demographics if they were given a chance.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
^ I think you're totally right. And that's why the old adage that says "NCs just don't sell well outside of North/South America" is silly. They CAN'T sell well because hardly anybody sells them!

I'm sure some places sold NCs a while back, stocking Macanudos and the like, and people didn't buy them, so they gave up. But with so many amazing NCs available these days, I have no doubt that a lot of them would catch on in other demographics if they were given a chance.
Nope a lot of it comes down to pricing. In most markets Cubans are substantially cheaper then non. In our shop in Canada a Padron 1926 #9 is a buck more then a BHK 54. Padron 3000 is the same price as a psd4. Opus robusto is $10 more then cohiba robusto here. Premium NC's mostly price themselves out of the market when competing with CC's

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Nope a lot of it comes down to pricing. In most markets Cubans are substantially cheaper then non. In our shop in Canada a Padron 1926 #9 is a buck more then a BHK 54. Padron 3000 is the same price as a psd4. Opus robusto is $10 more then cohiba robusto here. Premium NC's mostly price themselves out of the market when competing with CC's
Weel said sir!

Same thing here, why would you buy a cigar for more than a premium cc when it does not stand a chanse to the ccs :cbig:

I sometimes smoke some premium ncs for a change but if I ever had to choose between one of them :waving:nc

Most friends I have here in Europe still order from outside Europe and most of us order online, when cigars are shippied within EU in some countrys you still have to pay tobacco tax on them. And specially the less pricy ncs does not stand a chanse when youhave to pay 20-30 usd shipping per box.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Although the No. 2's and 4's are supposedly still being made, try and find some. It's like they already stopped making them.
That's what I thought too up until a couple weeks ago. Now I have 2 nice current boxes of LGC MdO #2's from Sep 2011 :)

hdlr

Large Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's what I thought too up until a couple weeks ago. Now I have 2 nice current boxes of LGC MdO #2's from Sep 2011 :)
LOL. I guess we use the same vendor because I picked up 2 boxes as well. Couldn't have had that many, though. He ran out in like 2 days.

Up until then I hadn't seen them in quite awhile and I'm pretty sure you won't see any more for quite some time as well.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. I guess we use the same vendor because I picked up 2 boxes as well. Couldn't have had that many, though. He ran out in like 2 days.

Up until then I hadn't seen them in quite awhile and I'm pretty sure you won't see any more for quite some time as well.
I got lucky here too. wish I would have gotten 2. I email him all the time asking when and finally he had a positive answer so I stalked the site waiting. lol