What's new

disintigrating smokes

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
sometimes, (but not all the time) when ive got a cigar about a 1/4 smoked, the wrapper starts to fall off about half of the way down. Ive noticed this with different brands not just one. is there anything i can do to stop this?
also, i just recieved a sample pack of cigars from an online shop. one of the cigars in it is a Macanudo something or other. ( i cant remember off the top of my head) anyway it came in a green tube. when i opened it up to check it out, it had white spots all over it. at first i thought it was mold but im not sure. Ideas????:dunno:

Puff13

Stogie Buster
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
well for the white spots ,it might be plume,as for the wrapper falling apart it might be the way they are kept how have you been keeping your stogies or have you been getting them from the same shop...

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
You can check your sticks out and look for loose spots in the wrapper. If they are loose, get some pectin and glue it back in place. I've never tried the pectin before, but have used Knox unflavored gelatin before and didn't hurt the taste. The only thing about the knox is it isn't good for long term storage...it's organic( bonemeal and other protiens).

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you're noticing that kind of problem with multiple cigars, it is likely the humidification. Have you tested your hygrometer? Describe your setup, we can help easier that way.

As far as the white dots, if they brush off easily, they are likely plume, which is actually a good thing.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Sounds like your humidity is too low. As for the white spots, it could be plume (looks crystalized) or it could be mold (looks like a 3-D web).

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
i dont think my humidor is keeping good humidity. but the hygrometer reads 68%. but it stays there no matter what i do... thats one reason im getting a new humidor. besides the fact i need more room. i think im gonna invest in a digital hygrometer too. ive heard bad things about the analogs.
i looked over those whits spots on that cigar too. its almost like a powder. not mold. is it even smokeable???

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
powder good!!!!!!!! Right Guys!!!!! Means they are aging! Its called Plume!!! when you smoke the cigars, do they burn hot? Kind of harsh? Go to radio shack and buy a digital Hygrometer! They work just fine!

Puff13

Stogie Buster
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
yea i agree get a dig. hygro,as for the white dust it sounds like plum,yea they are good to smoke...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
digital hygrometers are very accurate and the way to go. theres just somthing about the allure of a well made high quality perectly calibrated analog that I just have a hard time getting away from. I have both depending on what humi you look in. But is does sound like a humidity problem. as far as the white dust... sounds like plume, the more the marrier, smoke on brother.

-Ryan

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I've never seen a well calibrated analog. :wink:

As to the spots...I seem to be in the minority here..."spots" to me sounds like mold. Plume tends to be fairly uniform, not so spotty. Do the spots have..."dimension" for lack of a better term? Are they raised, or are we talking circles of dust like material that don't really "stand up". Do a search around, there are some great pictures of mold vs plume out there. Just be sure what you are dealing with. Next question, is the "white stuff" coming out of or visible on the foot of the cigar? If so, be very, very sure which it is. You don't want to smoke a cigar that has mold INSIDE it.

Ditch the analog, get a good digital, CALIBRATE IT (humidipaks work great) and you'll be good to go.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I think your RH is too low and doubt its mold, more likely plume if the RH is indeed low.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
PLUME! What a friend we have in plume...yeah, I agree, sounds like you're stuff is too dry...go digital and you will never go back!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Did you salt test your hygrometer? This will give you a good indication on how far off your hygro is and you can compensate for the + or - RH%.

Or...................you could just buy another hygro if yours is not working.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
How do the cigars feel to the touch? 'Crispy' and fragile? Like they are dried out?

I agree, it sounds like your hygro is incorrect and it is to dry in your humidor.