What's new

Dismayed about shade

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Biffy Bullfrog and I went for a trot up thru Amish country, yesterday, looking for CT Shade. Our trip was informative, but not productive. And the news I got isn't all that great.

A baccy farmer in CT told me shade baccy is down to like 130 acres now. It's simply 12 bucks an hour in CT versus a buck and a half an hour in Ecuador. Simple as that. No, fifteen bucks an hour minimum wage would not help bring those jobs back. It's a labor intensive crop, is the thing. Last year I spotted a couple little experimental sized shade plots. This year, none. Biffy is a dual sport, so I was able to ride up several farm lanes and ask the Amish. No one knew anyone growing the stuff. Eight or nine years ago, one said, there was a concerted effort; but at the prices which Lancaster Leaf was willing to pay... no money to be made. So.

Here's an oddity: Last week, Lancaster Leaf held a meeting with an auditorium full of its contract farmers, pleading for them to grow more wrapper. Not must shade, but they want them to try CT Broadleaf natural. I looked the guy in the face and said "I don't get it." "Yeah" says he. "If they wanted more wrapper, why didn't they hold this meeting last Winter, before you panted?" He spread his hands and grinned. I said "I'm no farmer, but I have seen a calendar." He said: "They brought an agronomer to the meeting. We asked him what he thought. He said he told them they had to pay more money." Apparently, this agronomer did not care to be hired by Lancaster Leaf again in future. One farmer showed me some CT Broadleaf he had in the ground. Thick, thick leaves. They get five bucks a pound for this stuff, cured on the stalk. So by the time it's picked from the stalk and frogged, you gotta be at fifteen.

Herfed up with a cigar.com forum member at a gar lounge in Lancaster, then rode home in the rain. Rain felt refreshing after such a stifling day. Stopped for tomatoes on the side of the road, and some fresh picked corn $1.50 a dozen, then some jams, then some home made root beer. Love that bike, Biffy Bullfrog. Excellent mount.

Here's a nice field last year:

Baccy isn't nearly so tall yet this year.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That sucks. Seems like the economics of farming in general are tricky. Especially when you clamp down on traditional seasonal illegal farm-worker immigration, as is happening now.

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The problem is in the pay discrepancy. You can't pay migrant farm labor what they pay in Central America.The economy is globalized and there ain't no going back.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
A few years ago when I took a trip to Lancaster I too noticed a lot less tobacco growing in the fields. I guess it must've been even less now in your trip.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A few years ago when I took a trip to Lancaster I too noticed a lot less tobacco growing in the fields. I guess it must've been even less now in your trip.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk
Nope. Plenty baccy everywhere. Got that burley, that purplish 41, that huge broadleaf... none of that requires the labor which shade does.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Nor I. The burley goes to cigs, the BL goes to gars, the 41 goes to chaw... I spose you could ask Lancaster Leaf
I do remember on a tour, when I asked about the tobaccos they mentioned what you stated.
And I just check online seems like they only do cigar leaf. Which still is cool. One day, I'd love to visit an Amish tobacco farmer and see their process up close and personal. I've only driven past the tobacco barns on the backroads and seen the tobacco fields.