What's new

DIY watch repair??

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
So I have this "Daily" watch:

...and the damn band popped off when it got snagged on something in the work shed.

The band looked like this:

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for replacing their own bands?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Duct tape solves everything.
Everything.

In all seriousness, I have no idea. I imagine there are lots of bands out there designed to easily replace others.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Forget "repair," as soon as you learn how to do this once, if you're like me, you'll be constantly changing the strap on your watch. Buy a few NATO straps and you can change it up every day without even removing the spring bars. This is definitely a skill it pays any serious watch fan to learn.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Forget "repair," as soon as you learn how to do this once, if you're like me, you'll be constantly changing the strap on your watch. Buy a few NATO straps and you can change it up every day without even removing the spring bars. This is definitely a skill it pays any serious watch fan to learn.
Exactly....I bought one of those kits that has so many tools to work on watches as I was going broke fixing and replacing batteries in my watches...( I own about 30 of them ) and now it's so easy to fix anything and I did two watches last night and replaced the battery. Usually watch repairs will charge you about $20 per watch as I had 2 of them that are Android watches...4 screws and a backpin hold the face secure so it took some time ( 5 minutes ) to replace the battery. On this watch I asked a watchrepair place assuming it would be a standard $20....nope. He tells me there is more labor involved so it would be $30 per replacement....wth? That would be $60 for my watches so I got my online source for batteries 5 for $5 and when they came in I did it myself and saved $55.

As far as the bands go....the kid I have has a 'holder' where you slip the watch into...you pull the pins out...replace your band ( again bands are cheap so I buy a lot of them to give my watches a different look ) and in less than 2 minutes I'm off and running. As long as you know the MM width of the band it's really easy.