What's new

Do they smell different?

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I've been thinking about this experience that happend to me and was curious. Do Cuban cigars have a different/distinct smell?

Experience: When I was living up in Seattle. I used to hang out at this Tavern in Ballard that was cigar friendly. I found a spot on the corner away from others. (not to bother the locals) Anyway one of the the usual empty tables was occupied by a couple of guys that looked like old drunks. I clip a SCEP and fired it up. After smoking it for about 10 minutes.

One of the guys says to me: Is that cigar from that country, where that dictator is from?

Me: Cuba?

HIM: Ya Cuba!! I used to live in Tampa a while back and my friend used to smoke those cigars that smelled just like that one after the other. :eyebrow:

I couldn't belive it!! This guy reconized where this cigar came from by smell. (half the people I show my cigars to with bands cant figure that out :headroll: .)

Anyway had a rough week and really didn't feel like haveing a conversation with the guy so I told him no. It was Honduran :squinteye .

HIM: You don't have another one of those do you? (with I grin on his face)

Me: No, This is the only one I brought tonite.

Him: I sure wish, I could try on of those. (still with a grin on his face)

End of conversation

Still!! I couldn't belive that this guy had me dead pegged for smoking a Cuban.

So can any of you guys tell the smell of a cuban cigar from a NC? Or know anyone that can?

After smoking RASS and Punch RS 11, 12's I might reconize there aroma but that might be it for me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a distinct smell to Cuban tobacco. BUT, almost every guy who comments positively on how your cigar smells will always guess that it is Cuban, whether it is or not.

Ever have someone ask if you're smoking a Dominican cigar?

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
the nub said:
There is a distinct smell to Cuban tobacco. BUT, almost every guy who comments positively on how your cigar smells will always guess that it is Cuban, whether it is or not.

Ever have someone ask if you're smoking a Dominican cigar?
This was my first experience. Most people comment on how great they smell, usually ask me. Where is it from? Not, that cigar smells like a Cuban and do you have another with a perma grin.. I never saw the guy before or after that.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I think one can tell whether it is cuban or not just by smelling the wrapper. They have a distinct smell to them.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I've noticed that I'm more likely to get compliments on the smell of my cigar when I'm smoking a cuban but have never been asked whether it was cuban or not.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
windowrx said:
I've noticed that I'm more likely to get compliments on the smell of my cigar when I'm smoking a cuban but have never been asked whether it was cuban or not.
Me too..

I know I heard alot more "that cigar stinks!!" when I used to smoke NC's.

owljones

habanoholics anonymous
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I can tell when a cuban is being smoked. Definitely a difference in aromas from N/Cs. Ahhh that smell.....

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
windowrx said:
I've noticed that I'm more likely to get compliments on the smell of my cigar when I'm smoking a cuban.
Same here. They may not say anything else. I think most people who ask is that a cuban cigar, have no other knowledge of any cigar origins.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Yes, the cigars definitely smell different and IME the smoke is distinct as well.

The wife always says they smell more rich and 'cleaner'.