What's new

Do we really have issues with warmer temps?

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
Guys, do we really have issues with warmer temps?

We could always buy something like this....

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11165274&topnav=&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4013437&Mo=5&No=5&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=30995&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&hierPath=103*30994*30995*

Does any one use one of these?

More importantly, What are the real issues of having our humis in 74-82 degree temp?
Sure we've read its not good, but has anyone really had any issues? Please tell....

Is it worth the $300 for a unit, then $25-$75(?) a month to run it??

Or $100-200 a month more on a house a/c - electric bill?

(In the summer it stays 95-108 outside here...)

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
My opinion is that with certain cigars there is a risk that they may contain beetle eggs. These eggs can hatch when temperature and humidity reach the otpimum level for them. I believe it's over 70 degrees/70%RH. Personally I feel the RH is more important to the burn and aging of a cigar than temperature but I do try to keep the temperature 70 or below to avoid the risk of hatching.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Two words: cigar beetles. Do a search and checkout the damages. Hundreds to thousands of dollars in cigars reduced to dust. Yes. I have had beetles. Yes the cause was too much heat that allowed them to hatch.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I've been storing cigars in my house for 15+ years. Before I added central A/C and extra attic fans (2002), the temp in my humi had occasionally hit the 80-85F range during the hottest summer days (we usually only have a few weeks during the summer where temps hit 90 or above).

During that time I had one small outbreak of cigar beetles, confined to a single box of "unbanded" cigars. Three cigars had several holes - which were thrown out, several beetles were seen and subsequently sent to meet their maker and the remainder of the box was frozen for two weeks.

Since then, my humi has not risen over 74F and I've not seen a cigar beetle other than in pictures. I believe most cigar growers, makers and some distributors (JRs in particular) have been taking steps over the past 5-10 years to ensure beetle issues are kept to a minimum, however they will never eliminate them entirely.

So IMO, it's up to you what steps you might want to take to protect your cigars. If you have many thousands of dollars worth of cigars and you live in an area where summer temps soar, then it's probably worth it to invest a few hundred to run the A/C on those hot days or purchase a wine cooler for summer storage. Or if you only keep a desktop full of cheapies at home or can find a cool place to put your humi during the summer (basement or closet), then you might not need to worry about it.

Rating - 100%
68   0   1

Thanks to tedski for the thorough feedback! And to the others for thier input!

I have 3 sperate humi, each with 200-300 sticks...So an outbreak wouldnt destroy my whole stash, just piss me off....and cost more $ then I'd like to waste...

But, I cant keep the house at 70 (the wife would freeze!) or even 72-74, 24 hours a day, it would just cost to dang much $. in the summer at 76 16 hours a day and 80 for the other 8 hours, my bill is $300 a month....argh... :crytears:

Anyone else?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
How about just investing in a wine cooler? The electricity for one of those is probably $15 per month and they aren't that expensive.

Here is one you can get via WalMart for $170 that might hold all three of your desktops. If not you could at least buy some empty boxes from your local shop and put your cigars in those.

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
How about just investing in a wine cooler? The electricity for one of those is probably $15 per month and they aren't that expensive.

Here is one you can get via WalMart for $170 that might hold all three of your desktops. If not you could at least buy some empty boxes from your local shop and put your cigars in those.
I like the idea! But normally aren't fridge's VERY humid? Too humid for cigars?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Actually, lower temps = lower humidity ... but you don't need to run these coolers at 45 degrees like a normal refrigerator. I think most can run at 55-65F. Excess internal condensation is the main problem, but there are some threads around that detail the different steps people have taken to combat this problem.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
YES, temperature is "really" an issue!

I live in an area that gets 20 to 30 days per year OVER 100&#186;F. It's difficult and expensive enough to keep the house at 85&#186; during the day, much less at 70&#186;. I eventually ditched desktop humidors entirely and switched to a wine cooler. Now I easily keep my cigars at 70&#186; max, regardless of the house temps.

Do a search on the forum for "wine coolers" and you'll find a lot of info on what to buy, how to setup, etc.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i was using sports wraps (ice packs) and draping across 2 cooledors. that, and a ceiling fan helped, but i was very tedious, swapping them out 2 and 3 times a day.

i finally broke down and bought a window a/c for my den, keep all cigars in there now! just text-messaged my daugther to go turn it on! will be 90+ today!!

where abouts in the central valley? merced is my old stomping ground!!

jeff

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Dude, don't take a chance...keep them nice and cool and you'll have a happy summer...I happen to live in an area where we have like 523 days per year over 100 degrees, so it's mandatory to cool them here!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having temperature problems myself, with my desktop humidor refusing to drop below 80 F. I think I may need that wine cooler.

Also, are cigar beetles common enough for outbreaks to happen? I have never heard it happening to anyone I know.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
What Tedski said is spot on.........you don't "need" cooled storage unless you're in very hot climes. Otherwise, cooling your storage is akin to insurance. Insurance against outbreaks that is triggered by high temperatures. Keeping them in a cooled environment can retard hatching of beetles although I've had a minor outbreak once.

On a side note, the gestation period for beetles to hatch could take months. You could have a scenario where they could gestate during transit in hot temps and then hatch months later in your cooled storage unit.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
The temp down here in the hurricane state is starting to get up there. I always get worried when the temp is in the 90s and the humidity is 80+. Thank goodness my GF doesnt mind if i keep the temp around 75 in the house. I try and keep my cigars in the shade under a fan. So far the temp hasnt gone over 74 in the humis for more than a couple of hours a day. but I am nervious, and when I move I will be getting a small ac unit for a single room or something like that just to keep them cool.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Having a fan blow on the humidor will do nothing to cool it, unless you have cold air source on it. It only feels cooler to you because you're sweating. You're basically just blowing air around.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
QUOTE=Haban-ohs;240177]
Also, are cigar beetles common enough for outbreaks to happen? I have never heard it happening to anyone I know.[/QUOTE]

Well welcome to the real world.

Heres the damage:
View attachment 2190

Here's what the buggers look like up close
View attachment 2188