What's new

Do you guys think I need a fan?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR. Cabinet humidor. Had oasis system with fan. Now using Boveda and beads. Fan worth it or no?

I’ve got a 500 count + cabinet humidor .. “Antietam” model. I used to have an Oasis Plus but it broke years ago. After getting back into the hobby, I’ve got quite a bit of Boveda packs plus some humidity beads.

Its working fine (ok actually. It’s not holding humidity perfectly but seals are good and not in the sun ... prob need more packs or a lb of beads) as far as humidity but I don’t have multiple hygrometers so I’m unsure bottom from top ... the oasis had a fan for air movement. Been debating if I should search and find a simple fan or if it’s not going to really make a big difference... I haven’t seen any issues yet... but only had this cabinet up and running again for 4-5 months. Bottom half is long term storage ...

Just got 2 more trays today too. Suppose those will need to season somewhat but beyond wipe down I’m just gonna let them do their thing.

Sorry for the verbose post. So I will... TL;DR at the top. Lol.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Twain

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
First thing you should maybe do is purchase an additional hygrometer and see if you have an issue with temperature and humidity stratification? A couple of percentage points difference shouldn't make a difference.

Not familiar with the humidor you have but adding a fan certainly wont hurt anything.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
First thing you should maybe do is purchase an additional hygrometer and see if you have an issue with temperature and humidity stratification? A couple of percentage points difference shouldn't make a difference.

Not familiar with the humidor you have but adding a fan certainly wont hurt anything.
I had something all typed up for this thinking is was a larger model and then I looked up the humidor and realized it’s a side table model(?)

If that is the case you should be fine without an additional fan. Beads and bovedas should be sufficient as long as you have an adequate amount of humidification. As long as it’s not empty it shouldn’t leak bad enough to lose the stability that comes with those types of humidification. If it is hard to maintain humidity, and it’s relatively full then maybe the seals need some attention.

As far as hygrometers go for the size of the unit you might benefit from one near the back and near the front. It may show you if you’re leaking humidity to the point of it affecting the overall stability of the environment.

The nice thing about beads and bovedas is you can never have to much. Depending on where you live dryness may be an issue as well.

Post some pics the hive mind loves to communally troubleshoot and see problems solved with other collections/brothers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something all typed up for this thinking is was a larger model and then I looked up the humidor and realized it’s a side table model(?)

If that is the case you should be fine without an additional fan. Beads and bovedas should be sufficient as long as you have an adequate amount of humidification. As long as it’s not empty it shouldn’t leak bad enough to lose the stability that comes with those types of humidification. If it is hard to maintain humidity, and it’s relatively full then maybe the seals need some attention.

As far as hygrometers go for the size of the unit you might benefit from one near the back and near the front. It may show you if you’re leaking humidity to the point of it affecting the overall stability of the environment.

The nice thing about beads and bovedas is you can never have to much. Depending on where you live dryness may be an issue as well.

Post some pics the hive mind loves to communally troubleshoot and see problems solved with other collections/brothers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I’ve already ordered a 3 pack of hygrometers. Thanks for the advice from both replies. Yeah it’s a larger side table type. It’s prob about 70% full. Still some room for a few more boxes but enough in it to keep stable
. Humidity is ok but it is a bit my fault. I had 65% beads already. Got 69% boveda packs. It holds steady around 65. I think I need more though. Soon as I open the door the hygrometer reading drops fast. Figure that’s somewhat normal but I don’t remember that happening in the past. I calibrated it when I got back into cigars 6 months ago or so. I’ll see what happens after I’ve got the extra meters. Thx for the replies.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Twain