• Other (See my post)

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Many Lounges and Cigars Bar charge a cutting fee if you don't buy a cigar from them and smoke your own instead. Do you mind paying a cutting fee?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I've never been anywhere with a cutting fee, however I always buy a cigar. Now where I work I won't buy one every time but I'm often bringing in past purchases. However when I'm someplace else I'll buy one.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I have no issues with it. All of the cigar bare around here will wave any fees if you buy some while you are there.

In Mass, cigar bars have to keep a 51/49 % 51 I. Favor of cigars so I want to keep them open. Even for the ciggy smokers they ask them to buy a pack.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Oh - I think it is important to note. I think it is in poor taste to smoke something the bar sells.

If I have brought my own it is probably an ISOM cigar or a Tat that the Lounge does not carry.

If they have the cigar I think you should buy it there.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I wouldn't pay a cutting fee if I have been frequenting that establishment and that time I didn't buy something or bring one that I bought from there previously. If I make it a habit, then I could see where they would want to charge me a cutting fee. Problem with a lot of cigar shops is they are very short sighted and only see the immediate sale they didn't make and not the future sales they will make by letting someone come in and use the lounge even if they didn't buy the cigar there that time.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Oh - I think it is important to note. I think it is in poor taste to smoke something the bar sells.
Does that still apply if you're paying a cutting fee. They make their money and you smoke what you want. If the fee is waived, I think it's a little trickier.

In general I don't mind a fee at all, though I don't recall ever paying one. Usually either I've bought something there, or I'm eating/drinking and they waive it.

-Charles

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Generally if I'm going to use someone's shop, I'll pick up at least one single to replace the one I'm burning while there. If you purchase, I don't think there should be a cutting fee. If you don't purchase, a nominal amount is justified.

To Vegan's point, if you are a regular, it means you have probably purchased more than what you have smoked there, unless that is the only place you smoke... so waiving it for regulars makes sense.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Here's my thoughts on the subject....

If "I" decide to smoke someplace other than in my own living room and the cigar bar and/or B&M has a set of established/known rules/guidelines/policies than I will abide by them if I want to smoke there.

boomerd35

Living La Vida Smoka
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Personally, I'd prefer a cutting fee vs feeling obligated to buy smokes in the store, especially when they don't have anything that I already have a ton of at home. Of course, it depends how much the cutting fee would be, and if they would waive the fee if you buy something there like somebody mentioned.

As far as bringing in a cigar that they sell, just today one of the blogs had an article on B&M ettiquette, and one of the big gripes on the list was smoking something the store doesn't sell, especially if you brag how good it is.

I think the one thing to remember is that there are lots of opinions and policies regarding etiquette, smoking a cigar bought elsewhere, etc. It all depends on the shop and their policies.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
the only places i'v been to with cutting fee's already charge well over $80 for a meal. so add in another $10 a head to smoke your own and it makes you think twice about going there again!

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I voted I don't mind paying a cutting fee but the more I think about it the more I believe there are exceptions. I buy a lot online but only really buy from actual B&M's where I can call them up and speak with some one who knows my name. If I was to show up at one of these shops where I may choose to smoke my own but buy a box I wouldn't expect to pay. That said I would prefer to pay if I don't buy much from that shop. Guess my rule would be as long as I spend 5 to 10 times as much as the value I smoke of my own there waive the fee. So same would go for a place with a membership or locker rental. If I spend enough to feel like I am supporting the shop more then taking advantage of it the would be ok without paying a fee to smoke my own sticks. I have heard on here from at least one guy where he rented a locker just so he could smoke his own sticks there and that I did not agree with at all. Locker rental fees rarely will cover more then upkeep and maintainence of the lockers and shop with no support for the store itself. B&M's are a lot of what makes the smoking experience better for me and we need to do what we can to support them.

Posted via Mobile Device

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I always purchase a single at a minimum when I am at a lounge even if I bring something to smoke but have never paid a cutting fee. I feel obligated to support the place if I am going to use their smoking lounge. If I am bringing my own smokes it is something I know the shop does not carry also.

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I am unaware if my local shop charges a cutting fee but if I ever bring my own smoke I will definitely make a purchase. I feel obligated and want to support them since I am using there facilities.

Id rather make a purchase then pay a cutting fee.

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
If you wanna stay you should expect to pay. Either a purchase or a fee but they gotta make money if you want to have a place to go. I'll pay it either way in the winter.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
If I've bought boxes of cigars from a BM, I feel comfortable smoking what I have brought.

If not, I will support the store and buy a cigar (not the cheapest they have) even if I decide to smoke what I have brought with me.

Would prefer to not buy anything and smoke what I have with me but that wouldn't be fair to the store. They need to make their money also.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
At a B&M, I just buy there. At a cigar bar, yes I would mind the fee. If I am paying for drinks/food, I should be able to smoke in their establishment without having to pay a fee.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I myself have not come across this before. I would respect any rule they had though.

If I haven't visited a cigar lounge before, I'll always purchase a stick. Even if the selection sucks and I know in my mind I don't fit here, I'll still buy a stick.(usually a cheap give away) Almost every new place in a different city or state I've visited last year, I ended up buying a box. Especially if alcohol was involved.

My local B%M I'm at weekly and do 85% of all my cigar shopping in general with, the little extra charges involved have never been a factor. My objectives are always to hang out and smoke(whether I bring them or buy them), bulls%t with other regulars, and leave with a bunch of newly purchased cigars.