What's new

Do you prep the filler?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if anyone 'preps' their filler leaf. When I started rolling a couple months ago, I just grabbed the filler leaf and bunched it as is, seemed to work ok. In the past couple weeks I have found myself trying to unfurl my filler leaves, of course depending on their state of case... Not sure why. Lol. I'm not sure if has helped any in the bunching process, but it makes me think the outcome might be better.

Thoughts?

-Rex

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do and it goes like this. The idea is get the most control of the placement. The case comes up past the point where all the wrinkles can be taken out, the mid-ribs can be removed and they can be stacked without damage. Each type of leaf in a blend will get separated by a box insert and stacked in a tub ready to get pulled for each bunch.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do and it goes like this. The idea is get the most control of the placement. The case comes up past the point where all the wrinkles can be taken out, the mid-ribs can be removed and they can be stacked without damage. Each type of leaf in a blend will get separated by a box insert and stacked in a tub ready to get pulled for each bunch.
Yep, that's kind of what I've been trying, to the point where folds and wrinkles can be smoothed out. How long, once the stack is made, do you give the leaves to come down in case enough to be rolled, on average? I know, until the leaf is ready.... lol The past couple days. I have been rolling cigars as soon as I unwrinkle. It seems like the leaves are still too high in case, but we'll see how it goes. I don't think this would be bad if you put them up for several months, but if you plan on smoking with in a few days, probably not good. We'll see. Thanks!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t mastered the case part. One of the keys is to get you fillers dry and wrapper wet. When the fillers absorb moisture they grow and the wrapper looses moister it shrinks. That helps the seam lines disappear.

There’s another thread where Bliss found the moister content level of the fillers and the wrappers. If you Google Humidimeter you’ll find a device with prongs to insert into a cigar to give you the humidity in the cigar. I think you can stab the stem or maybe press against the leaf to get a reading. The manufacturers like Perdomo have a cyclometer first measuring moisture content. They are thousands of dollars. The humidimeter is $30 ish.

Have I done that, not yet. Maybe my next rolling I will if I’m not cramped for time. I’m still very much an amateur. YouTube and forum knowledge at this point. Still working on skill and art side of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There’s another thread where Bliss found the moister content level of the fillers and the wrappers. If you Google Humidimeter you’ll find a device with prongs to insert into a cigar to give you the humidity in the cigar. I think you can stab the stem or maybe press against the leaf to get a reading. The manufacturers like Perdomo have a cyclometer first measuring moisture content. They are thousands of dollars. The humidimeter is $30 ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's my birthday next week. Thinking of buying myself one of those humidimeters for birthmas. It's either that or a Deejo knife like so:

Prob is, I prolly wouldn't use either one, after the first thrill of owning.