What's new

Do you regard smoking as a blue collar thing?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remembered that I posted a message on another forum a long time ago (a non cigar forum). On that forum I wanted to find out what women thought about guys who smoke cigars. The reason is because I was smoking one outside of a grocery store and a woman walked by and commented that it smelled good. This surprised me, since I thought that cigar smoking was one of those things guys did that women find disgusting, but tolerate, like when we scratch our testicles.

Well, when I posted this thread on the aforementioned forum, the first response I got was from one gal who complained about... well, let me just post exactly what she said:

I find cigars disgusting. They have a very thick, stinky smoke. I can't define the smell but I'm sure Satan's fiery asshole is a close match. And they last forever.

I hate it when people buy the cheapest one available with a customary snotty attitude like they're a mansion owner. Wow, you bought a 10$ cigar and now you own the world. Shut the fuck up already :rolleyes:.

I've never met a smoker who only smokes cigars, so yeah, when I see one, I get a knee-jerk: pompous ass. I'll retract the thought if the person doesn't have the attitude, and they're actually enjoying it as a treat, but I'll reserve the right to be baffled by that.
Well, my comment to that was something along the lines of 'the question was not about cigar smoker's alleged shitty attitudes, but rather about how women feel about the act of smoking a cigar' (especially the smell, is what I was really getting at).

I always thought that cigar smoking was a working man kind of thing. I know some rich hotshots smoke cigars, but the image of a cigar smoker I always had was Clint Eastwood riding into town in High Plains Drifter.

What say you?

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I've been smoking em for forty plus years with folks from all walks of life, billionaires to the unemployed. The funny thing is, when we all come together to smoke one it becomes the catalyst that transends what we do or how much we have. Just a bunch of guys & gals relaxin and having a pleasant time, enjoying each others company.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I personally don't care what anyone does for a living, how much they earn, how they dress, what they look like, what they drive, or how much money they appear to have. I try not to place "labels" on folks for any reason -- and the only category I'm comfortable slotting someone in for smoking a cigar is this one: A CIGAR SMOKER.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I personally don't care what anyone does for a living, how much they earn, how they dress, what they look like, what they drive, or how much money they appear to have. I try not to place "labels" on folks for any reason -- and the only category I'm comfortable slotting someone in for smoking a cigar is this one: A CIGAR SMOKER.
Its about the leaf. I don't care what the other guy/gal is smoking its about the leaf and the friendships made because of it.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
To tell you the truth when I first started into smoking I aways thought it was a business man's type of activity. Like drink good wines, cigars are and get very expensive the more you smoke and as your palate develops. Plus the only people I really knew who smoked seemed to be well off.

But as stated above by Ken I learned (quickly I might say) that the act of cigar smoking transcend all walks of life. I have had many conversation with people I probably normally never would have meet had it not been for cigars. There's something about sitting at a table smoking a cigar that relaxes you and just makes you enjoy life.

As for the woman thing, I can only tell you what my wife has told me. She likes the smoke, and the only other type of smoke she likes better is from a pipe. But she loves the fact that I have something I really enjoy and can share with others.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what every one else has said. An other thing that i have noticed is that age has no effect one how other smokers look at you.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I go to two different B&M's. One is frequented by guys that maintain gardens, drive buses, run factory machines, cops, and the occaisonal white collar guy. The other leans toward business execs, studio people, lawyers, doctors etc. Its funny in each store we smoke the same stuff. SOme expensive, some inexpensive. Cigars are for enjoyment.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well said by everyone. Started out to me as a "luxury" thig to do. Nice Scotch, good cigar, plus I lived in Miami at the time and it seemed like the thing to do. I've found people from all walks enjoy cigars, from doctors and lawyers to computer guys, teachers, construction workers, and fellow musicians. It's one of the cool things about cigars. You can meet people who you would never talk to socially under other circumstances, and all of a sudden spend an hour or two having a great conversation that begins with cigars and can go anywhere!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that the only people that would judge you by your habits are the kind of people that would judge you anyway.

Those kinds of people, I find them to be a bit of a pain in the ass.

I have met all kinds of people from all walks of life, on three frickin continents, and the idea of judging them by one single habit just pisses me off.

People smoke cigars, chew Betel, drink Scotch, chew coca leaves, drink Vodka, eat caviar, squid, drink coffee and smoke hashish. Lets not forget about those that eat dog, eel, snails and crawfish.

Classy does not mean you have class. And rich does not automatically mean classy. As an example, I would like to point out Lindsey Lohan, and Britany Spears.

You can look down on me if you want, but, I propose this.................I am having a good time, enjoying very fine things as often as I can. Fuck you and your limited point of view about things that people do.

Who the hell are you to judge me by what I do?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The irony is that she is so pompous and judgmental, 'just like cigar smokers'. I've never smoked anything but cigars, and it'll be that way the rest of my life.

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I go to two different B&M's. One is frequented by guys that maintain gardens, drive buses, run factory machines, cops, and the occaisonal white collar guy. The other leans toward business execs, studio people, lawyers, doctors etc. Its funny in each store we smoke the same stuff. SOme expensive, some inexpensive. Cigars are for enjoyment.
That's cool. Of the two places which would you say you enjoy the most? The reason I ask is because I have two places I hang that remind me of that. Here's my take on the two. Store #1 is more business oriented and the conversation is generally more stimulating as far as the things that interest me on a daily basis. Topics such as business, current events and politics to name a few. There is however most times an underlying feeling of competition between the patrons at this store.

Store #2, while not as intellectually stimulating, is very laid back. Things being discussed there are usually fishing, family and weather type stuff. There is no feeling of competition and always very comfortable atmosphere. Now that I think about it I enjoy both equally, but each has it's own time. Store #1 I enjoy during the week when business is hoppin' and I'm in fullblown work mode. The other store I generally reserve for more relaxing moments like Friday's or Saturday's for instance. If I had to pick one only I guess it would have to be store #2, but it would be a tuff choice.

The one thing that is the same at both is the love for the leaf. There's nothin like it!

Now that I've rambled on forever I've realized this post has nothing to do with the original content. LOL :smokingme

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
As was said, smoking cigars is something that seems to cross all economic lines. Some do this for status, others for the social aspects - but I think most smoke cigars as they love the taste and stress relief provided.

The lady that made the comment seems quite ignorant of the majority of cigar smokers ... or at least all the ones I know.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
That's cool. Of the two places which would you say you enjoy the most? The reason I ask is because I have two places I hang that remind me of that. Here's my take on the two. Store #1 is more business oriented and the conversation is generally more stimulating as far as the things that interest me on a daily basis. Topics such as business, current events and politics to name a few. There is however most times an underlying feeling of competition between the patrons at this store.

Store #2, while not as intellectually stimulating, is very laid back. Things being discussed there are usually fishing, family and weather type stuff. There is no feeling of competition and always very comfortable atmosphere. Now that I think about it I enjoy both equally, but each has it's own time. Store #1 I enjoy during the week when business is hoppin' and I'm in fullblown work mode. The other store I generally reserve for more relaxing moments like Friday's or Saturday's for instance. If I had to pick one only I guess it would have to be store #2, but it would be a tuff choice.

The one thing that is the same at both is the love for the leaf. There's nothin like it!

Now that I've rambled on forever I've realized this post has nothing to do with the original content. LOL :smokingme
Luckily,I dont have to choose between the two. I enjoy both.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been smoking em for forty plus years with folks from all walks of life, billionaires to the unemployed. The funny thing is, when we all come together to smoke one it becomes the catalyst that transends what we do or how much we have. Just a bunch of guys & gals relaxin and having a pleasant time, enjoying each others company.
That's one of the things that I LOVE about cigar lounges --- the last bastion of true democracy! :facerub:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Even on this board, there is a wide range of occupation/education. See the thread "What do you do and what else do you do?" Doctors, lawyers, teachers, forklift operators, students . . . . A good mix, in my opinion.

Benzopyrene

BoM June 08
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
One of the first questions I ask a women when we start getting to know each other is if she smokes cigars or if she has a problem with it. Most dont smoke, but dont seem to have a problem with it, but if they do.... there aint no second date. Theres to many fish in the pond !!!! When I find one that loves cigars as much as I do, then maybe Ill get married!