What's new

Do you talk up the BOTL?

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Being here almost 3 years (and smoking in B&M's just as long), I have noticed something about myself. I noticed that I rarely speak of BOTL to strangers. My representation of BOTL when I go to my local and have a smoke or two for football Sunday or a cigar event could be better. What I mean is, if I meet a brother locally, I should mention what a great place BOTL has been to me the last 3 years. We all have our local guys we love to HERF with at home or at the local, and that will last. We all have met somewhere though, either through a friend or while selecting a cigar at the local. I'm going to be more aware of guys that are new to BOTL, that I may like to invite to our brotherhood. Almost like a representative or ambassador (not officially). I would like to open the door for more brothers, as the door was opened for me.

Do you think about BOTL when meeting new brothers at the locals? How many of you have come here because someone befriended you and told you about the BOTL?

While I'm here in Seattle for school, I will befriend some new guys and tell them how great and well rounded this place is. Some may be open to it, some not. On the other hand, some of us have forged friendships that will last a lifetime. I hope I just made sense.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
While with a friend of mine at the local B&M lounge, he told me of this forum. So I figured I'd creep a little and see what it's all about and now here I am. I try to speak of it with some of my buddies who are into it just like I am but I'm not sure if they joined yet. So yes, I'd say I do bring it up in conversation. Even with some of the guys I speak with at the lounge. When I'm rocking my shirt there, I gurantee it'll be a good conversation piece.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I'm always reppin BOTL. No joke, I wear my BOTL dickies shirt every weekend. I am still hoping they will sell them again sometime. I am pretty aware of everyone I smoke with and at some point with all my knowledge in conversation BOTL always comes up. Everyone is different though.

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I also bring up how great BOTL is and encourage others to check it out.I think we have the full spectrum covered, from beginner to FOGs with many years experience. :)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Great thread! With a bit of irony to it also because when I really got hooked on this place was in Seattle by a few of your fellow Brothers when I was visiting there in November. I wish I had posted how cool it was to meet Zdenko, Rick, and Ryan, and what a great time I had chilling @LIT and Smokey Joes with them. It really put this brotherhood over the top for me. Up to that point I had learned a ton around here and been viciously bombed twice, but the fellowship of that meet up was something else. The sticks that I've gotten as a result of meeting these cats have been ridiculous as well. Several of my purchases lately are directly from Ryan's recommendations on here, one of my next is gonna be due to a stick that Z bombed me with, and Rick....well, you're just a cool dude. Lol. Jk...I just got started in bomb I got from Rick and it's great.
So, all in all, this place is awesome and I tell many about it... The generosity of knowledge, cigars (and baccy), and the FELLOWSHIP! I tell all kinds about BOTL...most give me a look like "Damn, dude, you are obsessed," and they're right. Lol. BOTL has a lot to offer but who knows... If it wasn't for the fellowship, maybe it would've just been a passing obsession. Thanks again @SDShark for the thread. I'm guessing you were the Brother Ryan was speaking of who couldn't make it because you were busy as hell...I look forward to meeting you next time.
And lesson learned...I won't make the mistake of not posting how incredible this place is again.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I do I try to feel the guy out first. This place is special to me don't want just anybody coming in. If he has a real interest in learning more and not one of these know it alls that because they say Ghurka is the most expensive brand it must be best. Or the guy that smokes cohiba red dots and he tells his uninformed friends it's Cuban I've met both of these guys for real lol. Then I offer him a chance to come in to one of the most knowledgeable coolest places on the whole interweb.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've not even been on here a month yet, however I am a long time cigar lover. I've mentioned BOTL.org to several of my cigar buddies, and a few of them actually checked it out. I don't know whether they joined or not yet, but I'm confident, with time, and the wealth of knowledge and information this forum has to offer that will change. I mentioned to a buddy of mine just the other day of the community here. I truly believe this was a missing element in the last 10 years of my smoking career.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Yes I talk it up allot, I'll show them the web site, tell them about our giving brothers , the trades n how we help Noob . Spread the word .....

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I know very very few people in person that are even remotely interested in the internet period, and maybe one or two that might consider looking at forum posts, but would wager my entire cigar collection against them ever joining an online forum.

Oh, I also am the only cigar smoker I know outside of these forums, so there's that.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Its been a hit and miss topic for me. If its a new smoker conversation or if the topic comes up then it s always mentioned as a great place to find great info and make friends. If the person is just not the internet type then maybe not. Once I get chatting about BOTL then you can't shut me up.
As Toby mentioned... meeting him when he came up, that was one of the first BOTL meetups I had and in a weird way I was both excited and a bit apprehensive about it. In all we went to two BM's, I met Toby and Ryan both and I am privileged to be able to say I have, I tasted Hibiki scotch for the first time and its great to keep in touch with people. Since then I have made other friends in chat and have expanded my horizons on the cigar front. BOTL kind of had a lot to do with that.
** if some of that didn't make sense I apologize, my Percocet kicked in and I need to go lay down now...

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thank you all for the responses! It's true that not everyone uses web forums (let alone computers). Plus, life gets in the way.

I'm still going to keep my eyes and ears open as long as I'm here.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I know very few people that actually "get" why I am so into this culture. My wife encourages it though. We do not even have an actual b and m in my area so I am very limited with the people I talk cigars with. Most of them are extremely casual about the cigars they smoke. But nonetheless I just got my shirt today and plan on rockin that bad boy whenever I get the chance.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
to a lesser extent, but it's kinda like politics or religion in my eyes: those who are NOT open to the conversation will either tune you out, or be openly hostile. but if you sense interest, push. it's the 21st century, ANYONE in a first world setting is probably pretty aware of when they are being sold something, right? so, i don't sell. someone asks, or shows interest, i share, whenever possible. i let them know who we are, what's out here, and why i am emotionally invested in this place. it's more that i chose my battles, dig?

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I know very very few people in person that are even remotely interested in the internet period, and maybe one or two that might consider looking at forum posts, but would wager my entire cigar collection against them ever joining an online forum.

Oh, I also am the only cigar smoker I know outside of these forums, so there's that.
Man I am exactly the same way, I have a fellow I work with that I share s cigar maybe once or twice a year with otherwise it's you guys