What's new

Do you taste grass in Cohiba?

How often do you find a "grassy" flavor in your Cohibas?

• Always. Grass is a signature Cohiba flavor to me.

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Most of the time. It's rare I don't taste grass.

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Some of the time.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Rarely.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Never. What the hell are these people talking about with "grassy"?

Votes: 19 24.7%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't see where you mentioned the specific Siglo series smoked, therefore I derived that you smoked the larger rg akin to the other sticks prefaced. If you've smoked all types, but have trouble finding the grass, I guess Ben is correct in trying an older stick.
The Lancero I smoked last year was from '01. The Sig I was from '07. I had an '05 Esplendido as well. It's not a broad sampling, but I have at least tried some aged and thinner Cohibas without detecting any grass. I've also tried young (less than a year) Cohibas and still not detected the grass.

I'm not trying to start any arguments here. I'm not trying to say people who taste grass in Cohiba are wrong. After reading several reviews and forum posts that list grass as a typical Cohiba flavor, my intention was to get a thread going that showed the diversity in tastes among smokers. As we see from the poll results, there are at least 15 other people whose experiences with Cohiba agree with miine: no grass whatsoever.

Again, no one is right or wrong. I just wanted to see how my palate compares to the general population participating in the poll.

mk05

It is what it is
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Lancero I smoked last year was from '01. The Sig I was from '07. I had an '05 Esplendido as well. It's not a broad sampling, but I have at least tried some aged and thinner Cohibas without detecting any grass. I've also tried young (less than a year) Cohibas and still not detected the grass.

I'm not trying to start any arguments here. I'm not trying to say people who taste grass in Cohiba are wrong. After reading several reviews and forum posts that list grass as a typical Cohiba flavor, my intention was to get a thread going that showed the diversity in tastes among smokers. As we see from the poll results, there are at least 15 other people whose experiences with Cohiba agree with miine: no grass whatsoever.

Again, no one is right or wrong. I just wanted to see how my palate compares to the general population participating in the poll.
Of course man! Your palate is your own, no one can tell you what's right or wrong. You are the master of your tastebuds. I personally am not partial to the Cohiba flavors because it is reminiscent to wet newspaper (maybe I'm the one smoking the wrong sticks!) with some honey. I prefer the Hoyo Epi Esp.

Try a Cohiba Exquisito. It's got some grass in there. More like dried hay perhaps. Good luck,

M

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Of course man! Your palate is your own, no one can tell you what's right or wrong. You are the master of your tastebuds. I personally am not partial to the Cohiba flavors because it is reminiscent to wet newspaper (maybe I'm the one smoking the wrong sticks!) with some honey. I prefer the Hoyo Epi Esp.

Try a Cohiba Exquisito. It's got some grass in there. More like dried hay perhaps. Good luck,

M
Just goes to show you how subjective tastes can be. I am not a fan of the Epicure Especial. I would love to try the Exquisitos. Cheers!

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

Brother, I think if you ask the same question on a cc forum you will get a diffrent answer, Cohiba tastes grass the first years, that is the blend! If one cant find it....it is most likely the fact that that pearson just cant pick up the flavor with his or her pallet or the cigar is aged and has lost that overwhelming grass flavor.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Your palate is your own, no one can tell you what's right or wrong. You are the master of your tastebuds. M
With all due respect brother, I think you are wrong. It takes time and practice to develop ones palate. Also some people just have amazing palate that can taste anything so imho most of us need years of training to be able to detect all subtile flavors.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Two days ago I smoked a Cohiba Siglo II and yesterday I sparked up a Cohiba Robusto. Both were in my humidor for no more than 4 months. They were purchased as singles so I've no idea what their box code was.

Both cigars were incredibly rich, with spicy tobacco up front, and then they settled into an earthy, leather profile. It wasn't until the second third of each cigar that I did notice a hint of a grassy note. It wasn't unpleasant, nor did it distract from the wonderful experience. But it was indeed there.

Overall I was very impressed with said cigars and intend to buy more.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
With all due respect brother, I think you are wrong. It takes time and practice to develop ones palate. Also some people just have amazing palate that can taste anything so imho most of us need years of training to be able to detect all subtile flavors.
Just to expand on Ben's comment here... I think that tastes are tastes and are less subjective. Preference, on the other hand, is exclusively subjective. It is entirely possible that a person may not be able to clearly identify what the taste is, but immediately know if they prefer it or not.

So while a particular note may not come across as grass to one person, it is grass nonetheless. However, that person may be able to accurately determine if they like that note or not.

I would add one twist though... even those with an innate ability to detect taste... ie heightened senses... still need effort and time to really refine their abilities. I base that largely off of a documentary I saw about the perfume business and the blending of scents.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I've only ever had Cohibas from the Siglo series, but have always tasted a grassy flavor of one sort or another in them. That said, there are a few different "grassy" flavors I have gotten in cigars since I've been smoking, and the grass in Cohibas has never been either the fresh cut wet grass that a Candela wrapper gives, nor has it ever been the sharp, almost chemical grassiness that very cheap, or very young cigars can have.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I've only ever had Cohibas from the Siglo series, but have always tasted a grassy flavor of one sort or another in them. That said, there are a few different "grassy" flavors I have gotten in cigars since I've been smoking, and the grass in Cohibas has never been either the fresh cut wet grass that a Candela wrapper gives, nor has it ever been the sharp, almost chemical grassiness that very cheap, or very young cigars can have.
almost hay-like... drying hay, of a high quality. reminds me of a grass that my grandfather used to grow to use for cattle feed... grew right on the lakefront. not like yard hay or lawmower clippings, thats for sure.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
almost hay-like... drying hay, of a high quality. reminds me of a grass that my grandfather used to grow to use for cattle feed... grew right on the lakefront. not like yard hay or lawmower clippings, thats for sure.
Thats what I get as well, not really grassy but a faint hay like taste. I call it the taste of cuba since I only seem to pick it up in CCs.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I suppose it depends on what you think "grassy" flavors mean. To me, grassy is like a freshly cut lawn. Hay is something else entirely, perhaps not biologically, but in terms of smell and taste, it is.