What's new

Do you use Boveda Packs AND the Humidifier??

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
or do you just do the packs??? im trying to figure out whats best here... lemme know!!

DaveDFD
You might want to introduce yourself over in intros..
As for your question, 65% beads are what I use, along with many others, to maintain perfect, or near perfect, humidity/

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Bovedas will be easiest. Heartfelt beads will work just as well, you just need to add water as needed. a combo of bother is a great option

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
but are bovedas alone ok, or should i use the humidifier that was included in my humidor as well??
The packets will be fine alone as long as you have the right amount for the size humi you have. The thing that comes with the humi is basically junk, I wouldn't use it but if you do, remember to use distilled water only/

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
but are bovedas alone ok, or should i use the humidifier that was included in my humidor as well??
I dont know exactly what humidifier came with your humidor, but I will guess that it is a green florist foam filled humidifier. You can use Cigar Caddy humidor solution to charge the humidifier. Then you can put 69% Bovedas in there to help regulate the humidity. That combo works very well if you like your cigars at about 70%. if you like your cigars at 65%, then you ditch your foam humidifier, and buy a humidifier that has 65% beads in it. then you put a couple of 65% bovedas in the humi too. you will not be wasting $. the products work very well together. if your beads run a little dry, the bovedas take over.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I always trying to do some searching and this came closest. I recently realized that Boveda packs can be recharged when put in a humid environment or even put in water. So my brain started thinking, if i kept a wet piece of florist foam with distilled water along with my boveda packs in my tupperdor then the boveda packs with absorb the humidity put out by the foam in order to keep it at 65rh while also keeping them selves from drying out. Does this make sense?

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I guess I was just looking for a way to make them last longer without recharging them since they can absorb or release humidity to keep a constant rh I figured it might work. I have a couple 65 bags on their way so maybe ill toss them in and then read the hygrometer then add a small piece of florist foam in a baggy with a hole in it and see if it keeps the same rh just for the hell of it.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Thanks! I guess I was just looking for a way to make them last longer without recharging them since they can absorb or release humidity to keep a constant rh I figured it might work. I have a couple 65 bags on their way so maybe ill toss them in and then read the hygrometer then add a small piece of florist foam in a baggy with a hole in it and see if it keeps the same rh just for the hell of it.
I don't think they would be able to absorb fast enough to keep up. It took a couple weeks for humidity to come down form 68 to 65 when I switched from 69 to 65 Bovedas in my tupperdore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
*disclaimer, I'm still a noob myself.. but-
I use a small "black ice" gel bead jar in conjunction with 69% bovedas in my "storage" tupper. They work together to keep everything around 69% for prob about 6 months at a time.. I only do this for the storage container, because I'm finding that to be a bit too wet for a good smoke... I keep a large desktop with the ready to go sticks running 65%, debating on trying out 62%..
So, it'll work, but not with 65's.. . Most humidity products produce 70% rh... so the bovedas will just won't be able to keep up with that much extra.. my 69's have trouble keeping up with 70% beads.. And, florist foam can dump MASSIVE amounts of rh.. I'd only use that to season a humi, or recharge a boveda in a ziploc or something.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
So, it'll work, but not with 65's.. . Most humidity products produce 70% rh... so the bovedas will just won't be able to keep up with that much extra.. my 69's have trouble keeping up with 70% beads.. And, florist foam can dump MASSIVE amounts of rh.. I'd only use that to season a humi, or recharge a boveda in a ziploc or something.
^^^^What he said ^^**

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk thingy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses! I guess I'll just do a little bit of testing when my Bovedas get here. I have a Lock&Lock 5.5 Liter container that I'm using and its very airtight. I started with a small piece of florist foam in a baggy with a slit in it and it quicky got up to 70 so i took it out and I'm holding strong at 65 with no humidification device for a few days now. I figure if I put 2 in there they should last quite sometime since its so air tight and I only open it on weekends.