What's new

Does anyone else get hiccups?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
It seems like every time I have a smoke, I get the hiccups when I get about 2/3's of the way done.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know its funy you ask this. My frind gave me about 50 JLP's because they gave him hiccups to extent that he could not smoke them any more...lol. I personally do not get them. I would like to know what causes such a thing. Is it with both NC's or CC's....or both?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm not sure if it has something to do with a particular type of cigar, it's something I just realized. The first couple times it happened I chalked it up to coincidence, but tonight I realized it's becoming a tradition when I smoke.

It's definitely something I will be paying closer attention to in the future though, there is nothing worse than ruining the final third of a cigar because of hiccups.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me I've noticed that the more the cigar knocks me on my ass, the more likely I am to get hiccups. It tends to go hand-in-hand with the nauseous feeling. Of course, sometimes it just happens when I smoke a bit too quickly while drinking something.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should ask, It happens to me, but usually upon lighting up and goes away in a couple of minutes. Happens maybe 6-out of 10 sticks, no matter what they are.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Back when I smoked cigarettes, I got the hiccups from smoking quite frequently, at least a couple times a month. At the time, if I smoked a cigar, I would occasionally get the hiccups as well.

Since I quit smoking cigarettes a few years ago, I haven't gotten the hiccups from a cigar more than once or twice. It's EXCEEDINGLY RARE now.

From what I understand, hiccups are caused by an abnormal burst of air entering the throat/lungs, which for me was pretty freakin' common when INHALING a cigarette. But since I don't inhale cigars (short of doing it accidentally) and since cigars are for me a slow, relaxing experience, I don't get any sudden bursts of air now...and for me, that means no hiccups.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
With me, I think it has to do with swallowing nicotine.

I've never had the hiccups from cigarettes, but with chewing tobacco, or even the nicotine gum, if I swallowed a bit of that tobacco it gave me hiccups right away.

And I think the reason why people get them toward the end of the cigar is because there is a build-up of concentrated nicotine at the head of the cigar and some people inadvertently swallow it. It probably happens more with people who chew their cigars or tend to keep them in their mouth longer.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I was just searching the medical literature on the subject, and it's quite common with people who chew nicotine gum. It turns out that nicotine is a strong stimulant of gastric receptors.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I think it might have to do with the nicotine. I was chewing the 4mg gum for a little bit and everytime I had a piece I got the hiccups. But whenever I chewed the 2mg it never happened. So I think Greg is on to something.