What's new

Does Anyone Else Here Wet Shave, DE or Straight Razor

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I e been doing it for around 2 years now, a few weeks ago I found a Mach 3 and made one pass then straight in to the trash. It was worse than the worst de blade terrible. What do you guys use to clean the sink with? I take my fingers around it and get all the hair but the cream residue is still there I clean it up every couple of days, but it's just annoying.
I don't fill the sink with water when I shave since I'm paranoid about smashing the straight razor into the side of the sink and killing the edge. My routine goes:

1. Hot shower then dry off
2. Hot water on face then apply pre-shave oil.
3. Fill sink with really hot water and soak brush.
4. While the oil works I strop the razor.
5. Empty sink and make my lather from the soap.
6. Apply shave soap to face and shave. When the razor needs to e rinsed I run the hot water for a second and rinse it off.

So far this seems to be working for me.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I started about 12 months ago. I picked up a vintage fat boy, case, instructions and a couple of the original blades off eBay. I've checked the date codes and its from the 3rd quarter of 1966, right when I was born.

Some days I look like I've been in a knife fight but I'm slowly getting the hang if it.

I tried a sampler pack of 10 types of blades and I've stuck with Gillette 7 o clocks.

Would I go back to disposables not a hope in hells chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when it bloody works properly

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used norelco electrics for nearly 10 years before finally getting fed up with reshaving the same spots over and over to get a decent shave. The whole point of electric was a quick shave with no irritatIon And I was getting neither. Picked up a Dovo Shavette a few years ago and am hooked on straight razor. Still using shave gel from a can because I'm lazy, but one of these days I'll break down and do it right with some shave soap or oil. My wife bought me a very nice Dovo razor for Christmas but I need to pick up a strop before I can use it properly. But for now the Shavette does a much better job than anything else I've ever used. Blades are dirt cheap, too, a year's supply costs less than one of those 5 blade monsters Gillette is pushing.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
...and I seem to remember a skit years ago on Saturday Night Live about just such a thing.
I have been looking for a clip of this, since I remember it as well. I think it is from the first season. I remember the tag-line being something like "Three blades. Because you are gullible and will believe anything we say."

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
So any preferred online retailers to start things off? I just watched a bunch of YouTube video yesterday and think I want to give this a try soon.

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Classicshaving.com and westcoastshaving.com seem to have pretty reasonable pricing. Also try amazon, but you kind of have to know what your looking for there. The starter kit my fiance got me was from an etsy shop called Orangefuzz, I've been really happy with it, but you'd still need a razor.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Do your research; videos, reviews, ect. I started with the Merkur 180 and Merkur blades but I'm much happier with the Bic super blades. I also wish I had gotten the Merkur 34c instead, it has a shorter handle and a little more weight but is good for a beginner. shaving101.com is where I got most of my information. cigar king, one of our sponsors, has http://www.shavingcreams.com/ it's somewhat hard to navigate but they have plenty of stuff and free shipping offers.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I read Badger n Blade for all my starter info... and have only nicked myself when my 4 year old came running into the bathroom and pushed me out of the way so he could drop an emergency poop.

I also popped by my local "art of shaving" store to see and feel what all the general product was about. I went for the longer handle because of it... the short handles felt goofy in my hands, but some guys (like ATL) seem to like em. I also looked at the difference between the butterfly and three piece DEs. Butterfly is much easier to change and clean, but less accurate when it comes to adjusting the blade angle. I like a more aggressive angle, so I didn't really mind giving up that function.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I read Badger n Blade for all my starter info... and have only nicked myself when my 4 year old came running into the bathroom and pushed me out of the way so he could drop an emergency poop.

I also popped by my local "art of shaving" store to see and feel what all the general product was about. I went for the longer handle because of it... the short handles felt goofy in my hands, but some guys (like ATL) seem to like em. I also looked at the difference between the butterfly and three piece DEs. Butterfly is much easier to change and clean, but less accurate when it comes to adjusting the blade angle. I like a more aggressive angle, so I didn't really mind giving up that function.
Thanks guys, gonna scope some stuff out.

I just watched a video from Art of Shaving and one of their packages.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Yeah, I think I sat down for a couple hours and gleaned everything I needed to know to make an informed first purchase... Its a great site.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I got into DE shaving about 6 months ago.

Now have a rotation of 5 razors that I like to use. 4 brushes, 250+ razor blades, 5 aftershaves, 5 different soaps/creams in the rotation.

Since I have discovered DE shaving. My electric only get's used when I need a quick shave.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Can anyone recommend a good brush. I spent £30 on a pure super badger hair one and I lose 3-5 bristles per day. At this rate it will be bald within the next 6 months !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when it bloody works properly

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
So as I lerk on the forum, I see this topic . I start reading what everyone says because for some time this has fascinated me but I've always just been lazy and got a classic ol wet shave from my barber( so relaxing!). I've been checking out the links that you brothers post and trying to get a direction to head that suit me, then the other day I walk into my new B&M and don't they have a whole section for shaving ( DE, Wet, and Straight) I thought this was very cool as I didn't expect it. I didn't check out prices on any of the kits they had as I haven't got into looking to see what a decent set is priced at.
I just wanted to see if any others B&M's do this as well and also what would be a price range for a beginner set of brushes, razor, bowl, stand etc. go for?
Thanks,
Shawn

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0