What's new

Does anyone make jerky

calgon

stevesmoke
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
never made it, but the reason for making your own is it tastes better and you can use better ingredients.
I was really just looking for personal accounts to gain an idea of what it takes to make jerky. I'm sure my stuff would be delicious. But if its a pain in the butt i can just go buy it from the guy with the road side stand.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I get center loin from a butcher, they semi freeze it and slice it for me for my jerky. super lean this way and works great.

I make a few different marinades, but usually a spicy asian style as my kids like it the most. I usually make 4-5 pounds at a time (wet weight) as my wife, myself and two boys tear the stuff up.

calgon

stevesmoke
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I get center loin from a butcher, they semi freeze it and slice it for me for my jerky. super lean this way and works great.

I make a few different marinades, but usually a spicy asian style as my kids like it the most. I usually make 4-5 pounds at a time (wet weight) as my wife, myself and two boys tear the stuff up.
how thin do they slice it? i like it chewy rather than crispy. also how long does it take to dehydrate?

thanks steve

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I have done flank steak on my own in the past. I dried it in the oven when I was stationed in Turkey. I haven't made any at home because my wife would kill me if I messed up the oven that bad. Then again it does have a self clean cycle so it can't be that bad to clean up.....

It tastes so much better when you do it yourself. Better meat, better cure, better spices.....makes better jerkey!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I'm told rockitsci uses all that super dooper NASA knowledge of his to produce the best jerky. His georky became the stuff of legend on another forum ..... Now if you want an independent analysis done Shuckins has my addy !!

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Back when I was growing up and still an avid hunter, my mom and I made some crucial venison jerky. I'll see about getting her recipe because the stuff was the best I've ever had. Big thick slices of jerky that kind of resembled the Jack Links nuggets but only in longer strips.

Recipe was pretty simple to make too. Just strips of meat tenderized, marinated overnight, then hung in the oven at about 150 degrees practically all day. Man, my mouth is watering...

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I do and just usually use the cheapest meat I can find. I have tried using deer but I could not really tell too much of a difference from the round steak once it was done.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I make tons and tons of it every year. I'm a very active sportsman and hunt deer and waterfowl all fall / winter. Anymore the only way I eat canada geese is in jerky form. Every year I take bags of deer and goose jerky to my work and non hunters literally snatch the bags out of my hands and gobble it up.

Experiment!!!!!!!!!!!! The biggest key to jerky is to not over dehydrate it, but then again not having it raw. Even a cheap dehydrator works WAY better than the oven IMHO.

calgon

stevesmoke
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I make tons and tons of it every year. I'm a very active sportsman and hunt deer and waterfowl all fall / winter. Anymore the only way I eat canada geese is in jerky form. Every year I take bags of deer and goose jerky to my work and non hunters literally snatch the bags out of my hands and gobble it up.

Experiment!!!!!!!!!!!! The biggest key to jerky is to not over dehydrate it, but then again not having it raw. Even a cheap dehydrator works WAY better than the oven IMHO.
Thanks for the advice. I fancy myself as a pretty good cook so i should be able to come up with a pretty good concoction. I am defiantly gonna get a dehydrator. I'm going to troll craigslist until i find a cheap one.

Rating - 100%
209   0   0
27006 309th Ave SE, Ravensdale, WA, 98054
If you're going to invest in a dehydrator, go for a little chief smoker instead. The're pretty reasonably priced and give excelent results. I've used mine for years making jerky and smoking meat and fish. The recipes in the book they supply aren't bad but I use my own. I grow my own meat so I use the tough cuts for jerky. Cuts best semifrozen,1/4'' strips with the grain, marinate overnight and in the smoker for a few hours. The best!

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you're going to invest in a dehydrator, go for a little chief smoker instead. The're pretty reasonably priced and give excelent results. I've used mine for years making jerky and smoking meat and fish. The recipes in the book they supply aren't bad but I use my own. I grow my own meat so I use the tough cuts for jerky. Cuts best semifrozen,1/4'' strips with the grain, marinate overnight and in the smoker for a few hours. The best!
Agree on all accounts. Lightly freezing the meat before cutting is an awesome tip...it works wonders!

As for the dehydrators you dont have to break the bank. I still use a cheapo I picked up at walmart for $15. It is the fan variety and gives uneven results if you don't shuffle the trays every 2 hours, but at that cost I've learned to deal with it. Another thing to note is that there are basically two camps on the safety of meat that is dried with this method and not first flash boiled in either water (don't do use this method) by bringing some of your marinade to a boil first. Since I've yet to die from botulism after years of NOT killing excess bateria by boiling I subscribe to the "it's not necessary" camp. Others swear you should boil first. Your own mileage may vary.