What's new

Does cigar smoke repel mosquitoes?

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I have noticed fewer of the critters around when enjoying a stick outside lately.:scratchhe

Doctor Zhivago

Cigar-Slinger
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my buddy's house and about 4 of us were smoking cigars out back. We sat under a light, where all the bugs gathered and our smoke just hung there. They all would start flying around in circles real real fast then drop dead, like they O.D.'ed on vitamin N

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I'm normally a mosquito magnet... but I don't get near as many when smoking my stogies. Hmmmm... I wonder if that should tell us something about this little hobby of ours.... naaaaahhhhhhhh :halfgrinw

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mosquitos don't start biting until I get some nicotine in my blood. I guess they literally do get a buzz. They like most Ashtons, Oliva V's and most Pepin blends. I think I might have killed a few one evening when I smoked a Perdomo Cuban Parejo Epicure.:crying:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Mosquitos, yes...Moths don't seem to care at all!
We'll play poker outside during the summer, and the moths still fly around in the smoke...Strange.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I have noticed fewer of the critters around when enjoying a stick outside lately.:scratchhe
If by mosquitoes, you mean fat old nagging women who ask you to put out your cigar in a wide open outdoor space like a park or beach?

I have found it does repel them but only when blown directly in her face.:ccool:

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
If by mosquitoes, you mean fat old nagging women who ask you to put out your cigar in a wide open outdoor space like a park or beach?

I have found it does repel them but only when blown directly in her face.:ccool:
:rofl::hysterica:hysterica:hysterica:hysterica

issues

DPG & Tat Whore
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A funny thing I have noticed is that wasps seem to be attracted by cigar smoke; mosquitoes couldn't care less, they eat me up either way.

When I go into my backyard and don't have a stick lit they rarely come straight for me but when I have a stick lit they fly around my head like crazy...

It is a little un-nerving.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
You know I thought it was working the other night. By the time I got home I realized that my legs were all bit up. I guess the smoke deters them from the upper body but not the lower body.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
A funny thing I have noticed is that wasps seem to be attracted by cigar smoke; mosquitoes couldn't care less, they eat me up either way.

When I go into my backyard and don't have a stick lit they rarely come straight for me but when I have a stick lit they fly around my head like crazy...

It is a little un-nerving.
I've noticed other insects actually seem attracted too, like bees, syrphid flies, even hummingbirds.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i am also in the attracts bugs crowd. It seems every time I go to smoke a stick and try and relax the cigar attracts Gnats, and mosquitoes. Now I just light up some tiki torches which adds to the ambiance anyway. Win/win.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually find that a cigar will keep bugs away, but tonight I was out smoking a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic and the bugs seemed to love it.

CaTeacher

BoM May 2012
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
I wasn't getting bit on the golf course yesterday morning while others were, and I was the only one smoking a cigar at 6am. Just saying.