What's new

Does the price of a smoke affect your enjoyment?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, maybe it's just me, maybe it's just 'cause I don't have a ton of free money for hobbies, maybe I'm just a tightwad... but..

When I am trying a new cigar and trying to decide if I like it, I can't help but factor in what I payed for it. I could actually enjoy the stick but if I feel like it's overpriced by a buck or two I seem to enjoy it a little less. It may not actually keep me from buying it again but it's always a thought in the back of my mind. If it's $10+ each and I love it than it's totally worth it.. if it's $5 but I've had one that was $3.50 that I've liked just as well, I seem to like it just a little less.

I don't know if I am expressing what I mean clearly but is that odd in any way? Does anyone else factor the price into their overall "enjoyment" of smoking?

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
the comparison for me is price and value.

value > price : excellent situation
value = price : no regrets
value < price : bummer

regardless of what price is

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Yes I guess I would say it would. I will say, that if I paid 14 bucks for a smoke, and it sucks or really isnt great, I'm bummed.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
If I like the cigar - no

If I don't like it - yes

Yes,

You can spend some time looking thru old threads that have spent a lot time on cheap GOOD SMOKES. I have many I enjoy that are cheap (under$5) and some I have not cared for over $30.....

So I can only say just try as many as you can and try to forget about price(I know it is always a factor). I say go but a bunch one day from cheap to expensive, buy blank bands and take the original bands off(making a list that you can refer to later). Try them a week or two later and see which ones you really like and don't like then see how much you paid for the ones you really like and see if your own thery works.

Like I love to say, smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

Enjoy!

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
It definitely does. I have different expectations at different price points.

Does it affect the actual taste? Well, no... but it certainly affects my overall enjoyment.
Exactly, don't expect a $5 to rival a $15 smoke. If it meets my expectiations I'll purchase more. if it falls short goes in the "not for me" catagory.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Price used to affect my expectations for sure and maybe my enjoyment to some extent. Not so much anymore though. I like several mid-priced nc's as much as the higher end stuff. Some that come to mind are Torano Tribute, LADC, and Oliva V. Regular Padrons are very comparable to the Padron signature and anniversaries if you have the patience to let them age a bit, in my experience. With cc's I have found that regular production smokes are more enjoyable than the exclusivos and usually cost less.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
cannot really totally divorce price. you expended energy to obtain that, and if it is not returned in some form, it is an inefficient reaction.

wow. my brain works like that. why i can't watch big bang.

anyway, never pay more than you are comfortable. and know that you may fall in love with something you cannot have all the time. actually helps keep some of them special if you can only pick up a few in a great while.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
the comparison for me is price and value.

value > price : excellent situation
value = price : no regrets
value < price : bummer

regardless of what price is
This is pretty true. Although if value > price and the price (or effort to obtain) was pretty high, it's even better than a cheap & cheerful that surprised me by over performing IMHO.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price doesn't really affect my enjoyment in fact there have been some $12-15 that i didnt like or enjoy as much as i have enjoyed so $6-9 cigars. So no price does affect the experience when i sit down and enjoy a smoke.

Reeve11

crookedburn
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Price for me doesn't effect how much I enjoyed or hated a cigar, but it does effect if I will be buying it again after that first one.

Dan

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I can some how completely separate price and enjoyment. Have had $100 cigars I loved and others I hated. Have had some $3 cigars I love as well. (not too many $3 cigars I will risk already knowing I am a bit of a snob)

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It only impacts me after the smoke is complete. If I throw away a cigar, having totally disliked it, that is when the price will impact me one way or another. If it was cheap, then I'm ok with that, and will probably try another. If it was expensive, depending how expensive it was, I will never try it again. If I'm paying $30 for a cigar, then I expect certain things from the smoke and can't afford to give them a second try for something that may be a POS again.

Yesterday I smoked one of the best cigars I've ever had in my life, and it was one I paid a tick over $3 for. It wasn't just good for a $3 cigar, it was awesome compared to anything I've ever smoked, $1-$100.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I've actually taken it a step further. I've found a cigar that I really enjoy which has become my mainstay. With the economy the way it is now I don't even want to chance wasting money trying new stuff. I guess it's kind of like finally settling down and getting married except my cigar doesn't nag me.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
It definitely effects my expectations. I expect more in terms of quality for a stick that costs $20 USD than one that cost $5

That said I do set a limit of what I would spend on a stick. Same with wine and scotch.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I don't pay attention to the cost as I'm smoking it. When I finish a new cigar I review the notes I've taken about construction and other physical qualities and compare it to price to determine if I found that aspect a value. I never take price into consideration when it comes to flavors and taste. Those are subjective qualities that I don't feel are price dependent.

tl;dr price only matters when considering construction.