What's new

Does the size of a cigar affect how long you let it rest?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How does the size of a cigar affect how long it should rest? Do Lanceros develop faster than the larger ring gauges? Gigantes vs robustos?

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I think this is a personal preference to be honest. Depends on how you prefer your cigars, especially within CCs. Some people prefer the stronger/fuller smoke of a fresher cigar, assuming it's not harsh or flavorless.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Agree 100% with different tastes for different palates. My question is more trying to learn how the size of a full flavored/bodied cigar affects how it changes with time. Do BOTLers smoke lanceros with less rest time then 6x60s and do we usually smoke 7x70s after more rest then 6x60s

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Agree 100% with different tastes for different palates. My question is more trying to learn how the size of a full flavored/bodied cigar affects how it changes with time. Do BOTLers smoke lanceros with less rest time then 6x60s and do we usually smoke 7x70s after more rest then 6x60s
I would imagine most BOTLers don't smoke 6x60s or 7x70s ;)

All kidding aside, with CCs I have noticed that I don't mind smoking petite coronas up to robustos somewhat young, but I prefer lonsdales up to double coronas with a few extra years. It seems in my limited experience, that the larger cigars tend to taste fresh/harsh for longer periods of time. Again, this is based on personal preference as some people may prefer the fresher taste and therefore smoke them younger intentionally.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
How do you know how long it should rest though? that's all subjective to ones tastes / opinion on the blend that is developed for the certain size. No definitive answer on this one mate!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks guys. Since it is such a subjective question I'll have to experiment with this one. Sounds like a good reason to buy more cigars, you know, so I can test them out real well. Tell the wife it's research!

Nacho, thanks for the offer.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Even as a newb I can tell the difference between a cigar that I just got from the B&M or right off the truck and the same cigars that have been in my coolidor at 68% and 66 degrees for 4 months. I like cigars with dark, oily maduro or oscuro wrappers and/or a lot of ligero tobacco in the filler. So I would define "rest" the way others have defined "aging" the process of allowing the different tobaccos of a cigar to exchange and combine their flavors, lose or vent the distasteful ammonia, metallic and vegetal flavors, and come to a consistent humidity through the stick. Time wise is minimum 8 months to 1 year before I start tasting but eventually I'll be smoking cigars I have aged considerably longer.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am guessing here, so if I am wrong, forgive me. You are primarily not talking CC, correct? With that basic presupposition...

A) There is no knowing how long a domestic cigars (any cigar not born in Cuba) has been aged by the maker before they release it from post-roll storage. Fuentes are supposedly aged years before shipping. Each manufacturer has a specified time that they age a cigar after it is rolled before it is shipped to retailers.
B) CCs are boxed immediately with a born on date, just like cheap beers are. It is up to the buyer to age them.
C) Based on this preliminary information, how long should I age cigars? How will they age? What do you prefer in regard to aging?
1) Starting with the last question first, the answer to that will probably vary by the number of responses you get. Everybody is different. Some will fastidiously age their cigars a certain period of time, in fact some are so OCD about it that they will not even open the box until that X? number of years has been achieved.
2) Going to the second question. Each cigar ages differently. I have cigars that are 2, 5, 10, 20 years old that have aged wonderfully. I have had cigars that go so flat at about 5 years you may as well pitch them, they are to all intents and purposes, flavorless. I have never really studied how ring gauge or length affects aging, but if I think back, I would have to say that smaller ring sticks did "seem" to "age" more quickly, but I do not think that length had much to do with it.
3) Now getting to the fist question in (C). How long should I age cigars? Good question. How old do they have to be before I enjoy them? Again, that is subjective. Your tastes are not mine, your palate is different than mine - and everyone else's for that matter. For example: My wife and I both like hot (spice wise) Thai food, but her idea of hot I find severely lacking, while my idea of hot leaves her taste buds numb for a few weeks (if you don't believe me, ask her, that is how she explained it to me - although I believe she was exaggerating a tad). When you have the definitive answer that will apply to everybody, let us know. :D As stated above by memphsdad & bostoneo, this is more an issue of personal tastes than anything else.

Personally? (And this is worth as much as you paid me for it) When I get a box of cigars (CC or domestic) I smoke one as soon as possible. If they are good, I start smoking them when I want a cigar with that flavor profile. If that first cigars tastes like it could use some time aging, then I let them sit for at least 6 months and try again. In my case, it has happened that I put a box in the bottom of the coolerdor, intending to try again in 6 months, and forgot they were there till I found them 3 YEARS later.

Cigars are a journey, and the more answers you discover on your own along the way, the more exciting the ride. I can go trout fishing myself, or can look at the pictures from the trout fishing trip my buddy took. Which teaches me more? What is more enjoyable? Which do I remember longer?

Peace of the Lord be with you.

The bottom line is, "it is up to you.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the response. It's reasonable to think that a Lancero will age, mature, rest in a shorter period of time then a large ring gauge cigar. It may be impossible to define how much longer but I have learnef that if I would normally give the cigar 6 months the Lancero version would possibly be ready in 4 months.

I'm not smoking cubans, still learning how and what to smoke so I'm buying lots of different cigars and just enjoying the ride.

Thanks again for you helpful response

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
age is the same for any size, if you are talking about the actions of age on taste and flavor.
if you are drying a cigar that is over moist, the shorter ones will dry faster.
the head end of a Churchill will take the longest, since cigars dry most from the foot.......

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well that cleared up a misconception of mine. I thought a cigar aged and dried through the wrapper along the length of the stick

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
This is the beauty of buying cigars by the box. For me, it is seeing the progression of the cigar/blend as it ages - when you find that it hits a sweet spot, light up a bunch. And if it seems a bit dead or too harsh yet, try it again in a few months/year

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
there is considerable drying thru the wrapper.
this info is from decades of experience actually ageing and smoking cigars.
Ever wonder why a cigar can be great until the last third?
with the cap on, the head of a cigar cannot dry as fast as the foot does..........

enjoy.............;)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For Habanos Robustos and Petit Corona usually need less time than a Gigantes from my experience. For NC, I'll let sit a few weeks but will smoke ROTT if I am excited

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Not so much for me. I do try to keep it to 3-4 puffs a minute but moreover it's about strength. With stronger cigars, I might go a little slower and milder cigars a little quicker.