What's new

Does your doctor know you smoke cigars?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nor do I tell my Dentist, why tell him i'm trying to muck up all his hard work lol, same rule applies to my doctor. Plus there was a time health insurance premiums would raise even if you were a once a month cigar smoker (thankfully that rule doesn't apply anymore since Obama is gone). If i were a habitual everyday cigar smoker than absolutely I would say something...or maybe I wouldn't need to, because it would be that obvious. But a once a week cigar guy...don't see the point when you know you're gonna get the same reaction and lecture as if you were telling your mom. I'm a single guy with no kids so my answer would change if that changed.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My dentist has never asked so we have never talked about it and honestly it never crosses my mind when seeing him. I do tell my doctor and he doesn't seem too concerned. Like mentioned earlier, always be honest with your doctor if you are truly concerned with your health.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a more appropriate question is "Does your doctor know how to smoke?". In which case, yes. My optometrist, dentist, and doctor all smoke cigars occasionally. Albeit, nowhere near the amount I do but we talk about cigars every time I have an appointment.
Wish I had that, my dentist doesn't even drink soda lol. He does drive a Ferrari though to which I am his private detailer. Having worked for Ferrari myself our conversations are never light. I've known him 27 years though so I consider him to be close family. I just wish he smoked cigars or drank bourbon (or at least wine). It would make Christmas gifts that much easier for me.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Stogie Ninja made a great point because some insurance policies can use verbiage to deny benefits to families of those who smoke cigars or use tobacco. The wise consumer should and must read over their life insurance policy to ensure that there is no disqualification of benefits when we pass away. I knew a guy who had been a lifelong smoker of cigars and "thought" his life insurance policy was good....he had a million dollar life insurance and the Company who gave him his insurance through their Representative basically lied to him....said the policy covered him. Come to find out when the family put in for the claim they were denied because of how it was worded which basically said that in the event of death from substances covered in sub-section 8 of the health and welfare of abused substances that may have an effect as to contributing to policy holders death ....blah blah blah....25 years of paying premiums from this poor guy and the family gets shafted. Read your POLICY...have your Life Insurance Rep. or Company sign off in this regard....mine covers me from anything...comets, tobacco, flying or acts of terrorism.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I told my GP during a checkup that I generally smoke 3 cigars per day, and that it's my hobby, passion, and career. She took my vitals, listened to my lungs, asked about my exercise and dieting habits, and marked "non-smoker" on my chart (y)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I told my GP during a checkup that I generally smoke 3 cigars per day, and that it's my hobby, passion, and career. She took my vitals, listened to my lungs, asked about my exercise and dieting habits, and marked "non-smoker" on my chart (y)
Damn you must have the same genes as Winston Churchill and Mark Twain, 3 cigars a day is impressive compared to my once a week indulgence. Glad you're in good health and still able to enjoy this hobby

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stogie Ninja made a great point because some insurance policies can use verbiage to deny benefits to families of those who smoke cigars or use tobacco. The wise consumer should and must read over their life insurance policy to ensure that there is no disqualification of benefits when we pass away. I knew a guy who had been a lifelong smoker of cigars and "thought" his life insurance policy was good....he had a million dollar life insurance and the Company who gave him his insurance through their Representative basically lied to him....said the policy covered him. Come to find out when the family put in for the claim they were denied because of how it was worded which basically said that in the event of death from substances covered in sub-section 8 of the health and welfare of abused substances that may have an effect as to contributing to policy holders death ....blah blah blah....25 years of paying premiums from this poor guy and the family gets shafted. Read your POLICY...have your Life Insurance Rep. or Company sign off in this regard....mine covers me from anything...comets, tobacco, flying or acts of terrorism.
Very good to know, thank you for the 101, heck i'd go one step forward and enlist my lawyer to read that fine (but incredibly hard to comprehend) print. A retainer seems like a small price to pay for not getting "shafted" in the end (God Willingly)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a very insightful thread. I've been wondering this very thing. Finally aquired health ins. So this topic is coming.