What's new

Dog Went Under the Knife

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's been a busy and expensive couple of days. Thursday evening, after his last potty break of the night, The Wife noticed that our dog, Kroger, was gimpier than usual to the point that he had a really hard time getting out of bed. You could tell by looking at him that he didn't even want to try. We figured he took a bad step on the ice or even fell. I took him to our vet yesterday morning and he initially agreed that he might've aggravated his arthritis (he's 13) but he wanted to perform an ultrasound to rule out issues with his spleen. He's seen quite a few problem spleens lately. Sure enough, there was at least one suspicious mass and what appeared to be free blood in the gut. It wasn't an emergency yet but could be without much notice, so he had surgery that afternoon.

While the spleen was in pretty rough shape, it was intact. The culprit turned out to be the caudate lobe of his liver. When we went in last night, our regular vet was out on a call but the junior vet showed us pics of the procedure and when we didn't react squeamishly to those (we both have medical field experience) he brought the specimens out. More than half of the spleen was ridden with nodules and the liver section was bruised and weepy looking on one end. But he's home, on the mend, and much more chipper than yesterday morning. He's just not very happy with the Cone of Shame:

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts. Kroger really is doing better and in the process, I've discovered that he's being a manipulative jerk. When we brought him home, be became food fussy. Snubbed his first dish of kibble but ate some when I doctored it up with some chicken. Bought some high quality canned food and he ate very little before snubbing it, too. But he's all over the rotisserie chicken and canned salmon. Once he recovers fully, we're gonna have a food showdown...mano a dogo.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kroger is pretty much done with the vet for this episode. He got his stitches out almost an hour ago. He’s back to his old self, if a little leaner, and we didn’t have the kibble kerfuffle I though we would. We ran out of chicken a yesterday and he went right for the kibble when it hit the floor.