What's new

Dog Whisperer?

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
So we are getting a golden retriever pup (girl) in a few weeks. I started reading Ceaser's 1st book (a friend lent it to me) over the weekend and found it very inciteful about dog phsycology. I've had dogs, but the wife (and 7yr old) hasn't. Basically I'd like all of us to be 'on the same page' before the pup even enters the house.

I checked the video stores & even the library and it seems the only way to get the first season is by purchasing it...

So my questions is: Is it worth it?

I'm all ears to some experience & advice....?

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
If you have any problems w/ behavior or training slap a shock collar on at 6months. My dog was a little bastid but as soon as he was old enough he got the collar and seriously within 10 minutes he was a different dog. He has been wearing the collar for a bit over 6months and we rarely need to press the button, we technically don't even need to turn it on anymore lol he is completely different. Everyone tells me how great he is and I give maybe 70% credit to the collar. The rest is consistency. Always use the same commands. I have a Siberian Husky and everyone always told me I would never be able to let him off the leash because he just has that instinct to run away. I was at a lake (pond) in my area and my dog was swimming when a couple started saying how they couldn't believe he wasn't running away, they said their dog won't even sit for them (they have a husky too) I looked over at my dog and told him to sit. To their surprise, and mine too to tell you the truth, he sat in the middle of the pond and waited for me to say it was ok to play again. Good dog. By the way I have spent a couple of thousand on training before I decided to use the shock collar.

Shmear

Megan the Great
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mmmmmm, i'd say you really don't need that. I had 2 awesome dogs (they passed away already) that obeyed every command given; Sit, stay, give me your paw, speak (bark), and my fav, go get 'em! but also when you just said Stop they would stop doing what ever they did. The key so that the dog can do that stuff (i think, because of different experiences with other dogs i had) is to be with them a lot, i men a lot and just train it to do it, give it treats when ever she got it right, like that they'll know when they got it right or not.

Thats just me and the dogs i had (not the one's of now because we didn't spend much time with them to actually train them. Two are really crazy)

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
oh, and I find it to be a great show, but its not really instructional. I think the book would be better suited for that. It's more of a Caesar "highlight" reel.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Mmmmmm, i'd say you really don't need that.
I said its a good idea if he has a problem training it or if the dog has behavioral problems. Mine was a real pain when he was a puppy, biting people etc. He was taken away from his mother and siblings too early (due to abuse on the owners part) so when I got him he was a little difficult. I got him at 6 weeks by the way. Obviously not every dog needs it and obviously not everyone has the time to spend every second of the day raising a pup.

Shmear

Megan the Great
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I said its a good idea if he has a problem training it or if the dog has behavioral problems. Mine was a real pain when he was a puppy, biting people etc. He was taken away from his mother and siblings too early (due to abuse on the owners part) so when I got him he was a little difficult. I got him at 6 weeks by the way. Obviously not every dog needs it and obviously not everyone has the time to spend every second of the day raising a pup.
Totally agree with you, when you don't have the time to spend as much time with a dog, it's hard. I took the example of the two awesome dogs i had because my bro, sis and I where younger so we spent a $h!t load of time with them.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Watch the movie Marley and me. U will love your dog, AJ. My Black Lab died last year, I still miss him. Was my best friend. Name was Tbone. As some one said consistency and use of the same commands work. Retrevers want to obey and love to do things for there masters.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Thank you all for the input. I have had dogs in the past (german shepards, labs & spaniels), my concern was more for the family unit and consistancy with the animal. Also I'd like to use it as a tool to get us all in the same frame of mind on how to treat her (setting boundaries and appropriate limitations).

The girl will be coming home at about 8 weeks and we're all very excited - just want to start things off on the right foot. I think I'll stick with the book for now - I don't really want to shell out $40 on a dvd just yet... We'll see...

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would do the shock collar.....it doesn't hurt them at all as it's only a 9v battery...get the one where you can send a beep before you zapem...they don't like the beep so 9-10 times you don't need to zap.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Worth every penny. Neighbor used it on their dogs and they are the most well behaved and happy pups I know. My dog...well he is beyond help but he loves my cigar ash so how could you not love a dog like that.

Shmear

Megan the Great
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Watch the movie Marley and me. U will love your dog, AJ. My Black Lab died last year, I still miss him. Was my best friend. Name was Tbone. As some one said consistency and use of the same commands work. Retrevers want to obey and love to do things for there masters.
I couldn't stand the end of that movie. Same story with one of my dogs. And for my luck, they put that darn movie while i was on the airplane to NY. I was so choked up.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
He uses the same techniques in all the seasons. I would just watch some re-runs of any season to get the basic idea of it.

I use some of the techniques he does on my sisters dog, they work pretty well. but its all about repitition.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
To answer the original question - I don't think that you will get much from the show to help with your particular situation. His show is about correcting problems that have been allowed to grow - not starting out right. I think the book will help you the most. You are getting a golden - these guys start out wanting to please. Consistency is usually the most important thing. My qualifications are that I'm a Veterinarian - not a dog trainer.

The electric collars are tools - just like a regular collar and leash. Any tool can be abusive if used that way. Unless you are looking to do a bunch of off lead stuff you won't need the E collar. I use them with my dogs as we take them into the mountains while riding the horses.

The collars do hurt - don't believe me - place the collar against your neck, hand the control to your wife and tell her how fat she looks.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Thank you all for the input. I have had dogs in the past (german shepards, labs & spaniels), my concern was more for the family unit and consistancy with the animal. Also I'd like to use it as a tool to get us all in the same frame of mind on how to treat her (setting boundaries and appropriate limitations).

The girl will be coming home at about 8 weeks and we're all very excited - just want to start things off on the right foot. I think I'll stick with the book for now - I don't really want to shell out $40 on a dvd just yet... We'll see...
just want to start things off on the right foot. On the right paw would be more appropriate:peace:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I instruct Basic Obedience at our local Dog Training club. Your best investment right now is to do some research on the local options you have for training. Check them all out, watch classes if possible. Find a good place and get your dog enrolled as early as you are comfortable. Most places follow the same basic progression:
Puppy---->Basic----->some form of Advanced Basic.

Everywhere is different, but I'd suggest staying away from PetSmart. There are some out there with good trainers, but most are simply regular PetSmart employees that have been "Certified" by their own training program. Had a guy come into our local club this weekend while we were cleaning who told me that he's been "suggested" to buy something different every time he goes to class.

At any rate, my point being that while Caesar is amazing and the show is great, it is mostly entertainment and will only help you understand the concepts a bit better. If you want a well behaved dog you need to train them.

Enjoy your new pup!

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I might have a couple more of his books laying around, I will check when I get home.