What's new

Don Carlos help?!

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Ok so the don Carlos is one of my favorite cigars and i know i have a few. I tried to avoid this but somehow it happened. How the eff do i tell them apart from other Fuentes?! I got some of them mixed around somehow :(

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Best I can tell you bro is the way to tell them apart is buy size and shape. Also Don Carlos is a Cameroon wrapper and the wrappers are very coarse so if you look closely to the wrappers the wrappers of a Don Carlos will look rougher than the wrapper of a 858 sungrown. Let me know if I'm wrong?

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Best I can tell you bro is the way to tell them apart is buy size and shape. Also Don Carlos is a Cameroon wrapper and the wrappers are very coarse so if you look closely to the wrappers the wrappers of a Don Carlos will look rougher than the wrapper of a 858 sungrown. Let me know if I'm wrong?
I'll have to look up the sizes and get my calipers out lol. I think i had heard something like that before but wasn't sure. Maybe I'll reorganize my fridgeador tomorrow and do some research

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
everything from the hemmi line up has a black boarder on the base of the band (except white on the anejo). IIRC standard core fuente is green. medium brown cameroon-looking wrapper plus black boarder on the base of the band plus NOT a perfecto (hemmi), you're probably looking at a don carlos.

except the special releases, but the unnamed and WCD and others do usually have different wrappers.

or post pics, and we can try to guess. hell of a contest, right? "spot the don carlos"!

EDIT: also, IIRC doug/KK33 tried to start a solid little info thread on fuente styles. he had a shitload of good info including pix, and a couple of us added some additional info. check his created threads. or i could be high and someone else might have started that, but i think it was doug...

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
yup, BUT it doesn't drop below the top shelf; some of his problem seems to lay in telling it apart from the core lines. AND it has the old bands (although the newer ones still look enough like the older ones to be recognizable, just sparklier for the short attention spanned....

what was i saying again?
Its driving me nuts now. I'll have to get them all out tonight and post pics. Maybe I'll have a contest and the winner gets to bomb rupe....

Yeah i don't believe i have any specialty sizes or limited anything like that. Just regular don Carlos and can't tell the bands from some of the other Fuentes

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
One of these Fuentes is not like the other. Ok here's what i have my don carlos's not sure which ones are which. I know the obvious ones

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
top to bottom:
anejo 48 or 49
hemmi classic
gran reserva (core) church?
chateau Cuban belicoso, sun grown
gran reserva (core) 858 (?) natural
don carlos presidente or double robusto, pre '12
hemmi classic
anejo 48 or 49
don carlos presidente or double robusto, post '12
opus double corona?
don carlos presidente or double corona, post '12
hemmi SS maduro

there are issues with scale, and i cannot be sure of the actual vitolas, but this should be enough to go on. hope it helps.

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
top to bottom:
anejo 48 or 49
hemmi classic
gran reserva (core) church?
chateau Cuban belicoso, sun grown
gran reserva (core) 858 (?) natural
don carlos presidente or double robusto, pre '12
hemmi classic
anejo 48 or 49
don carlos presidente or double robusto, post '12
opus double corona?
don carlos presidente or double corona, post '12
hemmi SS maduro

there are issues with scale, and i cannot be sure of the actual vitolas, but this should be enough to go on. hope it helps.
Thank you so much java! I screwed everything up when i transferred from humis to my fridge. Just never guy around to trying to figure out which ones are which. Lately I've been wanting a DC again.

5 of the cigars in that box actually belong in the box. Its a fuente holiday pack from 08. That opus and one of the anejos. And 3 others.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
band change started around '11 with the don carlos, then the hemmi, then the chateaus, then the regulars. but i cannot pinpoint it better than that. ALL the fuente lines had a more zazzy gold treatment, but the bit about the black or green base on the bands should still hold true.

just don't ask me which viaje are which, alright? or, god forbid, which LFD special release, they use the same three bands on ALL their shit!