What's new

Don Carlos Lanceros

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This is a cigar to behold I tell ya. Beautiful Colorado brown wrapper, oily, toothy and a nice pigtail cap. The lancero is my favorite size. Something about those long skinny cigars that I really like. The way the cigar feels holding it. The wrapper to filler ratio, making the flavours all the better. I hesitate using the words, but there is an elegance, a sophistication to a lancero not present in the thicker rg cigars. Can you tell I'm partial to em? :yes:

The pre light draw is sweet to the taste and a little woody. Upon lighting, the cigar opens up right away with pepper and cedar. There's a hint of leather on the medium finish. Just a few puffs later the pepper is gone. The cedar is turning a bit sweeter and leather giving way to roasted nuts. Wow, this is turning out to be a gem of a cigar!

At halfway point I'm in awe. Cedar is still very pronounce. Tasting leather again with roasted nutty flavours on the now loooong finish. Not lost in it all is the definate taste of Cameroon. Anyone familiar with Cammy wrapped cigars knows what taste this is, very nice. This is definately a very full bodied cigar. Not overpowering by any stretch, just full and extremely well balanced. Funny thing is, I'm feeling content. I know if the cigar were to end right now, I would be feeling as though I just had the complete experience with a cigar. A small part of me wishes this were the case, but it's not. I still have 1/2 to go. I just hope it maintains, no way can it possibly get better...can it?

Okay at the 2/3rds point now. I don't think I've ever had a smoke with so many identifiable flavours as this lancero. The cigar is turning a bit creamy with burnt toffee and rosted nuts on the finish. The Cammy twang is a blanket covering the whole thing creating the ultimate balance. Can you tell I like this cigar?

Now into the last inch and it is getting close to the end. The cigar which has been close to perfect in every way, saved the best for the last. In one way or another, all the flavours that have been present throughout, are here at the end giving it a fitting farewell. Even the pepper which so subtly slipped away in the beginning, just as subtly slipped right back in at the end. Honestly, I don't think I've ever experienced (and this WAS an experience) such a well rounded, balanced and constructed cigar. The blend, everything was as close to perfect as can be...a true masterpiece!

Unfortunately these are not come by cheap unless you get lucky as I did. They come in the Don Carlos gift sets released at Christmas. MSRP for the set is somewhere between $80-$90. I have built a good friendship with the mgr of a fairly big B&M store that opened these sets and sold the lanceros to me. That's why I always tell folks, don't get to where you buy everything for cheaper over the net. Get to know and support your local B&M, even if it costs you a little more. Believe me, it benefits in more ways than one. Hope you enjoyed the review. A smoke a day keeps depression away. :wink:

-