What's new

Don Carlos ? Yeah or Neah

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm sitting here smoking my second Fuente Don Carlos #4, I just can't seem to put my finger on weather I like the cigar or not. I like the taste, but to me it's not a really great smoke to me. I guess my maduro taste has over taken my Cameroon taste.

Let me know what your opinion is on the Don Carlos cigar. Please,

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
The first Don Carlos I had was one of the best cigars I've ever had. I believe it was several years old and that may have had something to do with it. That cigar was so good I rushed out to the cigar shop the next day and bought several of them. Unfortunately, though they were good, they didn't have the same flavor at all. The rest are sitting in my humi and hopefully some years down the road I'll have that experience again.
When all is said and done all that really matters is what you like. If you're not sure about them now, put 'em down for a while and try them later.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'll have to pick up a couple more down the road, what size do you have? I think the #4 is a little to small for my taste. Does Size effect taste? like the larger ones will taste diffrent than smaller ones?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to pick up a couple more down the road, what size do you have? I think the #4 is a little to small for my taste. Does Size effect taste? like the larger ones will taste diffrent than smaller ones?
In my experience yes... The larger they are the more flavor, (and consiquently the less heat), they have... Personally I seldom go below a Corona... Prefer Torpedos, and Churchills. Complete turnabout from when I started.....:computer:

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I think the Don Carlos are very good cigars...not anywhere near as good as a Hemingway or an Opus, but it still delivers that classic Fuente flavor.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the Don Carlos line, but actually I prefer the much less expensive (and more flavorful to me) maduro Chateau Fuente line. When I am in the mood for a Cameroon, I usually pick the AF 8-5-8 with the natural (Cammie) wrapper, rather than the Don Carlos. DC's are just more expensive than they are worth, IMO. OTOH, I think that the Chateaus and 8-5-8's are very reasonably priced and well worth the money.

Frank N

CFL
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I guess my maduro taste has over taken my Cameroon taste.
I've seen guys take this swing between starting to smoke and refining thier tastebuds to pick up on all the little hints of different flavors in cigars. When I starte smoking, all the guys I smoked with pushed me to maduros. Then as several of them learned to pick up on more flavors, they started to appreciate other cigars again. One of them said that he just figured that he was going to maduros to get the stronger, overpowering flavors and when he started noticing all the other more subtle flavors, he started to like cameroons and corojos more.

But to answer your question, I like the few Don Carlos that I've had.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I've always enjoyed the DCs I've smoked over the years. Haven't found them to be terribly complex, but then I've never "put them down" for any length of time. I do know though, that when I pick one up at a B&M, I will get a consistantly well made and blended stick.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
I like the Don Carlos line, but actually I prefer the much less expensive (and more flavorful to me) maduro Chateau Fuente line.

i'm a fan of AF's all the way down the line! the montesino is an excellent everyday smoke! and the dble chateau is my favorite driving smoke, as it lasts two hours +!! try the new chateau sungrown,,, this one will only get better in time!

i've found the Don Carlos line is much better with age - have a box of 5 yr old presidentes that are unbelievably smmoooooth!

I do believe my favorite AF is the hemmingway - the short story to be precise! talk about flavor from a little stick (4x48 perfecto that'll last you a while!!). good stuff!!

jeff

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I thought that all companies had their varies lines from cheaper to super expensive.

I thought that the Don Carlos was like right under the Opus X and God of Fire Cigars.

Then after Don CArlos came the Hemingways, then down from there.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Ha-ha! When did PRICE ever indicate if a cigar was good or not? I've had $20 cigars that weren't as good as other $5 cigars.

Just because the Don Carlos costs more than the Hemingway doesn't mean it's a better cigar...especially not once you throw in the subjective nature of individual cigar preferences.

And I don't give a flip how or why a company categorizes their cigars, top to bottom. My personal taste is what dictates what's better for me.

:smokingbo

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
what I ment more was doesn't fuente use their finest grade leafs on one cigar Say Don Carlos. Then use the next best graded leaf on say the Hemmingway, and so on and so on. Or Am I off base on this entire thing?

Frank N

CFL
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Production qty can also drive pricing, along with demand.

You shouldn't ask from someone's opinion and then bash it if it contradicts your belief.