What's new

Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s been a while since I did my last review. Figured it was high time I got back to doing what I enjoy so much. Okay enough of the mushy…let’s get down to business!:bouncetau

Brand: Don Pepin Garcia
Name: Cuban Classic
Origin: Nicaraguan
Size: Robusto (5” X 50)
Wrapper: Corojo
Flavor: Full
Strength: Medium-Full(IMHO)

Construction: This cigar is wrapped with a rich oily pecan brown Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper. It is smooth with minimal veins for the most part, and also has a nice firm draw.
Prelight: A quick sniff and I could almost taste the fresh hay and tobacco. The draw tasted of chili pepper w/ a hint of sugar.
Light: More hay and PEPPER!!! , chili and black, tobacco, and a lil cedar. Pepper lingers on the tongue. The cigar is producing some nice clouds of smoke. At the moment it’s not at its smoothest, but it’s definitely flavorful. Taste like the torcedor snuck a mild chilli pepper in and it’s slowly roasting.
¼: Flavors are the same. There is a little bit of sugar beginning to show on the finish. The cedar picks up speed as well. As the burn progresses, the sugar starts getting a lil’ toasty or caramelized. One of the larger veins gives me a lil’ trouble with the burn, so I give it a quick touch. The ash, wich is light grey with some darker grey marbling, is holding pretty firm.
½: Smoke getting creamier, and the pepper is dissipating. Tobacco and cedar are dominating the playing field. Still getting a lil’ caramelized sugar on the finish.
¾: Here, the smoke starts taking on a nice meaty flavor. Got me craving another piece of that venison backstrap I grilled up a few days ago. ; ) Damn, that steak would be good right bout now! Flavors are steak, cedar, tobacco, salt and pepper in that order of strength.
Final Fourth: Cedar, salt, and tobacco held on to the finish. After setting the stick down, I can still taste the cedar and sugar on my tongue.
Summary: The Cuban classic is a pretty good Pepin stick. Not his best, but when you factor in the fact that you can always find ‘em on sale online, it’s a pretty good bargain for those who like DPGs or medium-full bodied sticks in general. Happy smoking! - TheMaduroKid

*Tower of Burn format borrowed from Brian Hewitt of StoagieReview.com*

Last edited:

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
Amazing review and pics! you have a lot of talent! Thanks so much for the post...i was thinking of buying some of these just yesterday!

Great work

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Nice review, great pics :thumbsup:. I had one a while back and enjoyed it a lot, though I got some different flavors off of it. It wasn't as spicy as a usual DPG, perhaps it had some age on it, and the pre-light aroma was a definite peanut butter :grin:.

Dan

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks fellas...

Dan, these didn't have the usual amount of DPG blackish pepper to my taste buds, but it did have a lot of mild chili in the beginning...not so much the heat, but the flavor.