What's new

Don Pepin Garcia Original (blue label) Review - CoM Feb 2016 (Cigar of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo-Oscuro
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

LANCEROS 7.5 x 38 RATED: 93
INVICTOS 5 x 50 RATED: 92
DELICIAS 7 x 50 RATED: 90
IMPERIALES 6.125 x 52 RATED: 90
TORO GRANDE Box Press 6 X 62 RATED: 90
GENEROSOS 6 x 50 RATED: 89
DEMI-TASSE 4.5 X 32
EXQUISITOS 5.625 X 46
TORO GORDO 6 X 56
EXCLUSIVOS 9.25 X 48

From myfathercigars.com:

Don "Pepin" Garcia "Blue Label" has served as the inspiration for the creation and development of our other lines. : Hand made using 100% Nicaraguan tobacco, this cigar features an extra-oily, cinnamon colored Corojo Oscuro wrapper. This is a Full-Bodied cigar with a unique composition and blend where zesty notes of leather and cedar accompany a medley of hot peppers. The "Blue Label" is presented in a beautifully handcrafted "flip-top" cedar box of 24 cigars. It has an average rating of 93 points in Cigar Aficionado Magazine and has been included in the list of the Top 25 Best Cigars of the Year.

INCLUDED IN THE TOP 25 CIGARS OF THE YEAR IN 2008​

Prior CoM reviews can be found HERE

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
being lancero february, i went with the lancero vitola of the don pepin garcia blue.

cold draw: i get a bit of chocolate flavor - like a swiss miss hot chocolate that has been left alone to cool down. also there is a hint of pepper

first third: the pepper flavor is more predominant over the chocolate, but not overpowering. also, it is a bit earthy. not as creamy as i was hoping. the retro is peppery, though i get a bit of spices that i can only describe as "baking spices".

middle third: the earthiness and chocolate come to the forefront, along with those baking spices. it is still peppery, but not as much as the first third. it is starting to get creamier, which is a nice surprise. the retro was more peppery than i expected.

final third: the smoke output goes up a notch. pepper comes back into the driver's seat, but it stays creamy.

i think i just wanted some cookies.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Just smoked the lancero version of this stick for the first time

The first 2/3 I enjoyed just as much if not a bit more than the Toro version I've smoked a handful of. It seemed almost buttery when paired with the coffee I was drinking. Once I got to the final third, the flavors were all ramping up but the burn line became pretty wonky...then it went out on me...3x. Bummer b/c I was thoroughly enjoying it until then! I ended up calling it quits a bit earlier than I'd like after that third time but still a favorite of mine. Next time I see a good deal on these lanceros I'll for sure be picking up a fiver.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Last night I smoked my first Generoso Blue Label. I've enjoyed this cigar in other sizes, but there was something about this particular one that didn't sit well with me. I've always enjoyed the flavored, but this one just tasted like hot smoke. I've still got the Lancero and Exclusivo in line to be smoked this month. Hopefully they outperform this lackluster smoke.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
No pics alert: I accidentally deleted them while moving folders.

Don Pepin Garcia Original Lancero

So in a nutshell I thought it really tasted similar to the Generosos size. But I didn't smoke it all that long. I chose a horrible day that was too windy and too cold and I just couldn't brave it out.
That was my last DPG Blue Lancero so if I find the time on a decent day I'll try to light up the Exclusivo "A" to contribute.

Sent from my SM-G900K using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Just fired up the DPG lancero with thanks to Ihole. Toasted the foot to a nice glowing cherry then clipped with a v cut. Initial flavor was pure sweet tobacco, cream, and a pleasant spiciness.

The spice is more prominent on the retro and is more baking spice than pepper. About an inch in I am getting some hints of vanilla. There is the perfect amount of resistance in the draw. After starting to roll some lanceros myself I have a much greater appreciation for one with perfect construction and that is what I have in my hand right now. These bitches can be tough to roll well. I was honestly hoping for a little more spice with this, but I also like the retro to make my eyes water a bit.

Very even burn and barely any "mascara line" indicating a top notch blending and rolling job.

Getting into the second third there is a caramel sweetness that I'm digging big time. This corojo wrapper is dead sexy and tasty to boot. I would do some questionable things to get some for my home rolls.

At the halfway point the spice is ramping up and the retro stings so good. This is the Pepin spice I was hoping for. Has shifted from baking spice to a mix of red and black pepper.

Looking at the ash I notice this stick is rolled with the book method, not entubado. Kinda surprised but this is how I roll mine as well. The darker ash suggests leaf that is less combustible, usually ligero. I tube my ligero and wrap the seco and viso around it. Gives that cinnamon roll look to it. Keeping the more combustible leaf towards the wrapper makes for a nice and even burn.

Getting into the final third the sweet tobacco, cream, caramel, spice combo is staying strong but I can tell it's starting to get a little hot and may be a little too high of rh as it is wanting to go out on me. A quick purge seems to help some. I may not make it to the nub but have thoroughly enjoyed this. Glad I have another one and will drybox it for a day to see if that helps the final third any.