What's new

Doomsday Preppers

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I am watching a show called Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo and my mind is being blown. These people have a compound which houses 22 people and they have enough food for all 22 people to eat for 15 years. They are also self sufficient for power (wind, solar and methane), have a bunch of weapons and even a Bug Out plan for if they have to get on the move which involves customized school busses and caches along a planned route... ITS CRAZY. Has anyone seen this show before? So what is everyones thoughts on planning for a "DOOMSDAY"?

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
So I am watching a show called Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo and my mind is being blown. These people have a compound which houses 22 people and they have enough food for all 22 people to eat for 15 years. They are also self sufficient for power (wind, solar and methane), have a bunch of weapons and even a Bug Out plan for if they have to get on the move which involves customized school busses and caches along a planned route... ITS CRAZY. Has anyone seen this show before? So what is everyones thoughts on planning for a "DOOMSDAY"?
I saw it now I say chance favors the prepared mind but those guys are taking it to the extreme. Plus the "bug out" plan was ridiculous an hour to bug out, hey if doomsday hits and you got to bug out they are not getting an hour, and choice of vehicle a bus not the most mobile or inconspicuous of vehicles. The last thing is maybe they should think about installing a gym cause they didn't look to light on thier feet and it's going to be hard gruling work surviving doomsday.

I don't plan for doomsday, cause as JF said if its nukes or planet ending asteroid rather die than suffer through that hell. I thinks its more prudent to plan for natual disasters in your region. Here in CA my plan is to be self-sufficient for 2 weeks hoping that by then some help will have gotten to our area.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Y'll should read "Patriots" and the sequel "Survivors" by James Wesley Rawles.

I'm a prepper, but I havne't taken it that far.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
While I agree with preparing for a disaster of sorts, there has to be a limit. I would NEVER go as far as these folks have gone in preparation for an apocalyptic disaster. Just like Justin said, if you need food for 15 years because you can't grow any, whats the point of even being alive.

I don't know if you guys were thinking this but as I watch the show I noticed something. So they have all this canned food in that conex trailer. The head nut is worried that a magnetic polar swap will cause a continental shift and subsequently massive earthquakes. The glaring issue I saw is that they have their 15 years worth of food in GLASS JARS!!!! There were no straps holding them in the shelves, no insulation between jars. I'm quite certain that a large majority of their food would crash and break in the event of a disaster that he's worried about.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I saw the pilot episode they aired last year but haven't had a chance to catch the new season yet.

The people on shows like that are obviously the extreme and boarderline hoarders. I'm still living in an apartment so my "prepping" is limited but I have enough guns and ammo to hunker down and protect me and my fiancée if something goes down and looters start breaking and entering.

Outside of that, I have the skills of being able to live off the land that were taught to my by my dad. Some boots, a tent, and a good .22lr will get me to my parents house in VA where they are much more capable for protection and growing food.

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
I watched this. I look at it as this is their hobby. We thankfully get to enjoy our hobby. But I imagine they have their own boards and forums where they talk about what they are doing and all of that. But what a bummer they are never going to get to actually enjoy anything that would take all the fun out of it and the stress of feeling that way all the time would suck.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
It certainly is their hobby and for some a serious way of life. They sure love the expression when the shit hits the fan. That must be somewhere in their mantra. I'm not making fun, just pointing out that I'm not as dedicated or extreme. They would probably look at some of us and thing the amount of cigars we have is silly. Or in my case the amount of beer I keep around as silly (well maybe not it is a nourshing beverage that's safe when the water isn't).

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I feel like the aim of shows like this is not only to label everyone on the show as nuts (easy!), but also anyone involved with other activities preppers are into as a result of their pursuits: guns, self-sufficiency, etc. Eventually the media will run with this stuff more aggressively and anyone not 100% ready to depend on the nanny-state for everything will be made to look like these people.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0

FireDoc83

Cigar Assassin
Rating - 98.5%
108   1   0
I have plenty of ammo. I figured with my AK47, Scoped Tikka T3, and My partially finished AR and AMMO. The other supplies should come pretty easy! :assaultri

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yep I agree. These guys take it to an extreme but if it is what they love, they are not hurting anyone so they can keep on keeping on what they are doing. I agree that they should get plastic containers haha. I think they went on the show to show off what they have and possibly warn others about the dangerous they deem are possible. I also thought it was good that they showed various levels of preppers (i watched the one episode) such as the hoarders, natural survivalist and the girl just starting out (who was a joke).

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have plenty of ammo. I figured with my AK47, Scoped Tikka T3, and My partially finished AR and AMMO. The other supplies should come pretty easy! :assaultri
love my tikka t3:assaultri

It can never hurt to be prepared, and God forbid we actually do experience something...I'm finding a prepper. I'm more worried about what would happen to my cigars