What's new

DPG With a Green Band?

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
Are any of you guys familiar with this stick? I've had it for a couple of years in the
bottom of one of my humidor's and i just happened to pull it out about a week ago.
Kinda freaked me out because i'd never seen that before. I will post a pic if necessary.

The band is the most recent one that they use, but its green with gold writing on it.

Thanks

The Cello is Brown!

Last edited:

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
It's a blue, the dye from the ring leached into the cello. And it's only a year old... Kidding, that's pretty rad man!

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I spent a good 10 minutes googling trying to find this and I couldn't even find a mention or a picture of this cigar anywhere. If you don't mind me asking, how did you acquire it?

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I saw one other mention of this on a Camacho forum but low and behold the post talking about it is not there. The only mention was that it was hidden in some dudes humi for a while and it was rare.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I spent a good 10 minutes googling trying to find this and I couldn't even find a mention or a picture of this cigar anywhere. If you don't mind me asking, how did you acquire it?
I just did the same.

I could see how the color could change to green from blue over the years, but I would think there would've been a mention of this sort of thing somewhere.

If it is an original green band, then you have what I can only guess is an extremely rare cigar.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
blue label....no older than 08. that's the year the switched to that band. they had the original band with cello in 07. I would be a little weary of that much loss in oils from an 08 (at best). hope it is still good.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I just did the same.

I could see how the color could change to green from blue over the years, but I would think there would've been a mention of this sort of thing somewhere.

If it is an original green band, then you have what I can only guess is an extremely rare cigar.
There is only 1 report I found of a blue label fading. MiamiE from this forum said he got one from 08 and this is what it looked like. This isnt anything like the bright green band whodeeni posted.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
the only time I see dramatic fading of the band, and even wrapper, is when the cigars are stored near a window/door that doesn't have UV protection. I know a shop that used to have OR VSGs (Cabinet bands) on the shelves...and they looked pale as hell because they were kept near the windows. They had boxes (tons of em) of the same stock sitting in a different room that were pristine.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
the only time I see dramatic fading of the band, and even wrapper, is when the cigars are stored near a window/door that doesn't have UV protection. I know a shop that used to have OR VSGs (Cabinet bands) on the shelves...and they looked pale as hell because they were kept near the windows. They had boxes (tons of em) of the same stock sitting in a different room that were pristine.
Very true, run into the same thing at my local.

But, I've never seen UV damage turn a blue band into a bright green one. It seems they have the propensity to turn green, most likely via leaching of the gold leaf used on the band into the vegetal mixture used as ink on many cigar bands. But, for one to become quite bright, and the other to dull out is quite odd.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
@ Nick-- I got it in a trade/as a part of a bomb from a fellow BOTL. I believe it was a trade the more i think about it.

@Jere - It smells strong and spicy! I'm tempted to smoke it. As far as storage conditions, this has been stored in a
Mini-Fridge that's been converted into a humidor, so it's had no light exposure whatsoever.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Excel I would bet a 5pk that cigar has been stored improperly at some time. That cello is way to yellow already imo. That and the light exposure to the band are dead giveaways . Just as the Roach suggested. Hell it may smoke well still. But at one time that smoke seen a dashboard for a week or 2 I'm guessing. I been able to acquire 05s blues from Roach that are no were near that color of both cello and band.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Excel I would bet a 5pk that cigar has been stored improperly at some time. That cello is way to yellow already imo. That and the light exposure to the band are dead giveaways . Just as the Roach suggested. Hell it may smoke well still. But at one time that smoke seen a dashboard for a week or 2 I'm guessing. I been able to acquire 05s blues from Roach that are no were near that color of both cello and band.
Thanks for the backup, J. Definitely wonder about storage.

05s don't have cello ;-)

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
In addition to what kockroach and jolietilfire stated which I agree with, if you push the band up or down on the cigar to see the wrapper underneath the band, it may reveal another hint on whether the cigar was stored under improper lighting. As many of you already know, storage under wrong or direct lighting will cause the oils to evaporate from the wrapper.The wrapper underneath the band might be slightly darker then the rest of the cigar illustrating improper lighting.

Another plausible explanation, although it doesn't explain the the cello's premature yellowing, is a simple printing error. A printing press uses Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black to print all the colors. If these labels were printed when the printing press had too much yellow or too little Magenta, it would cause the band to look green. There are various quality control steps in the process to catch these defects, but I've seen issues like this in the past with cigar bands.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
In addition to what kockroach and jolietilfire stated which I agree with, if you push the band up or down on the cigar to see the wrapper underneath the band, it may reveal another hint on whether the cigar was stored under improper lighting. As many of you already know, storage under wrong or direct lighting will cause the oils to evaporate from the wrapper.The wrapper underneath the band might be slightly darker then the rest of the cigar illustrating improper lighting.

Another plausible explanation, although it doesn't explain the the cello's premature yellowing, is a simple printing error. A printing press uses Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black to print all the colors. If these labels were printed when the printing press had too much yellow or too little Magenta, it would cause the band to look green. There are various quality control steps in the process to catch these defects, but I've seen issues like this in the past with cigar bands.
Thanks for the explanation Bill Nye.