What's new

Dress Shoes - Recommendations

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Well....it’s finally time to give somewhat of a shit about fashion. My career change will have me in a setting that causes me to need to revamp my very dated closet. I’ll say up front that I’m not big about fashion or trends but only want to keep from being noticed for the wrong reasons. 90% of my time will be spent in a business casual office so that’s where I’m focusing. Anyone have a recommendation for a couple go-to shoes that are not too flamboyant and can wear with most looks? I’m not a loader fan. Price and comfort are also concerns.

I’ve got plenty of catching up to do here so advice is appreciated.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Well....it’s finally time to give somewhat of a shit about fashion. My career change will have me in a setting that causes me to need to revamp my very dated closet. I’ll say up front that I’m not big about fashion or trends but only want to keep from being noticed for the wrong reasons. 90% of my time will be spent in a business casual office so that’s where I’m focusing. Anyone have a recommendation for a couple go-to shoes that are not too flamboyant and can wear with most looks? I’m not a loader fan. Price and comfort are also concerns.

I’ve got plenty of catching up to do here so advice is appreciated.

Not only do I work at my desk in these, but I also lecture my 3-hour community college class, and walk all over my company's branch footprint in these. Super-comfy, and on sale.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/outlet/clearance/shoes/nomad-leather-derby/5972-115-D.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuP674Ljo3gIVD7XACh15VA_kEAQYASABEgKeUvD_BwE&CATCI=aud-324690046239:pla-577123178812&CAWELAID=520006330000477106&cagpspn=pla&utm_campaign=5972-115-D&utm_medium=google&CAAGID=52138479506&utm_source=cse

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Not only do I work at my desk in these, but I also lecture my 3-hour community college class, and walk all over my company's branch footprint in these. Super-comfy, and on sale.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/outlet/clearance/shoes/nomad-leather-derby/5972-115-D.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuP674Ljo3gIVD7XACh15VA_kEAQYASABEgKeUvD_BwE&CATCI=aud-324690046239:pla-577123178812&CAWELAID=520006330000477106&cagpspn=pla&utm_campaign=5972-115-D&utm_medium=google&CAAGID=52138479506&utm_source=cse

I was hoping to be able to grab two pair for what that costs....maybe I have unreal expectation. Thank you!!

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
@sean Since this thread I now own 3 pairs of AEs and a pair of J&Ms, with the AEs surpassing the rest.

Highly recommend Allen Edmonds both for quality and comfort. You can sometimes find them at Nordstrom’s Rack on sale @Juice.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Do they often dip below 2 or is this price rare and should be jumped on?
I bought a pair of brown loafers for $135 at Nordstrom, and another pair of black oxfords for around $150. The last pair I got was a pair of black loafers that I won off eBay for $100.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
@sean @jasonatjl thanks guys for the help. Got two pair on AE’s Black Friday sale stacked with 15% new customer discount and 10% ebates cash back. $800 retail for $300 ain’t bad.
Nice job bro! Welcome to the club - you’ll really appreciate the quality they put into their shoes. USA made, all handcrafted, etc. I love em. Best shoes I ever bought.

This is trouble...

Indeed, LOL. And @Juice will still buy shoes, just because he already has CAD, easy to transition that into something else!

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
@sean @jasonatjl wtf is wrong with you two. I now own 3 pairs of AE’s and one pissed off wife. Why would you do that to a fellow brother.....I’d almost rather been given a hit of crack. Thanks bros :facepalm:
Good news is, those 3 pairs will be all you ever ‘need’ with rebuilds.

But you’ll buy more. Just like cigars lol.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Another vote for Allen Edmonds. I have 5 pairs at this point, and love them. Many of the other brands here are fine, but they are "disposable," ie they are made in bulk overseas and are intended to be replaced when they wear out. And that's fine. AE are Goodyear welt, handmade in America, and can be recrafted, so they are the "buy it for life" option instead of the buy and replace. Allen Edmonds are basically the bottom end of the quality footwear line, they may seem expensive but you can spend a LOT more when you start looking at other comparable brands.

I recommend some kind of darker brown Park Aves (cap toe Oxford) for everyone. I also have walnut Strands (a staple for me, but not for everyone), black Carlisles (plain toe Oxford, tuxedo wear), walnut Liverpools (walnut Chelsea boot), and some boat shoes. Next on my list is the Lake Forest loafers, they fit me PERFECTLY while many of their other loafers do not.

Try before you buy if at all possible, if you can't don't wear them off carpeting and you can return. AE customer service is phenomenal.